Shutdown switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A330NRT

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Charis
Vessel Make
Custom 42' Pilothouse Trawler
Anyone have a John Deere 4045TFM that has had a problem with the push button switch on the dash not shutting down the engine? When it first happened I replaced the switch and that seemed to work for a few times. Now the rpm just drags down but it won't quit.

check the wiring...sounds like an incomplete circuit someplace.

Typically the shut down mechanism will be a solenoid that kills the fuel supply. The linkage between the solenoid and the valve will often get out of adjustment leading to the symptom you have now. Or, the solenoid itself can start to go bad. You can check this by jumping power directly to the solenoid from the battery while the engine is on. Then work your way upstream from there: linkage. electrical, etc.

A great source for all things solenoid, and John Deere parts as it turns out, is PJ Power in Florida. I got a spare Trombetta for my Detroits from them and still have the mouse pad that came with it! Might be worth giving them a call, they were nice people to deal with. Despite the URL, the links lead to PJ Power:

(877) 710-9053

PJ Power - Trombetta,Synchro-start,Isuzu ,woodward,Yanmar,JD

Contact Us - Trombetta,Synchro-start,Isuzu ,woodward,Yanmar,JD

Anyone have a John Deere 4045TFM that has had a problem with the push button switch on the dash not shutting down the engine? ..
That has been a worry for me with a Volvo TAND 41P. The solenoid is on the side of the engine not reachable from the hatch and it's far to tight to crawl in there while the engine is running.

Someday I'll install a manual backup shut down, but in the meantime, my plan is to take off the air cleaner and block the air intake with a book or something flat and sturdy.

Sound reasonable?

Thanks for the responses. I'll give them all a try.

Ken Shanley

Back
Top Bottom