Big Diesels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not sure if this has popped up here previously, but interesting...especially the photos.

BIGGEST ENGINE

Well, I guess this settles the twin vs. single debate.....

"A single unit and single screw design has also proved over time to have a longer life span than double or even quad screws. Longevity of this engine design is based on less moving parts equals less stuff to wear out, which makes sense when you think about it."

:hide:

The machinists working at William Doxford & Son are wearing long sleeve work clothes, a big no no at any shop I ever worked. Must be a limey thing.

Its historical. No safety glasses, no hearing protection, no safety shoes and no hard hats.

Also comparing it with the modern build, the modern one has almost a clean room atmosphere.

We build pulp paper machines that are almost as big, and use the same machines shown in the pictures. The biggest machine we make is 40 ft tall, 100 ft long, 50 ft wide and weights 375 tons. In the PNW being its cold most if not all plant employees wear warm long sleeve shirts. However we do require safety glasses, hard toed shoes, hearing protection and hard hats in certain parts of the plant. :thumb:

Wow! I have not seen engine that big! Many of the long range ships/tugs/trawler/ferries have large slow rpm engines that turn large diameter and pitch prop that move a lot of water. :socool:

Ah Doxfords. hey were opposed piston engines and you either loved them or hated them.
We used to play a drinking game on ships that was based on the Doxford fireing order and one would crouch up and down in the fireing order if out of sequence you had to skull a pint.
gees this made the engine miss fire after a few revs.
This was in the days when copious drinking was allowed at sea.
We also played this game at the pub when I was at college in South Shields in the UK.(doing my 2 nd and Chief Engineers certificates in the 70's)
Very close to the home of the Doxford engine.
Benn

Back
Top Bottom