View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 01:08 PM   #21
Tom.B
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Because a single-use device that uses less power and is easier to operate would be far better of an option than scrolling thru pages of a chartplotter or hoping your iPhone gets accurate signal in your stateroom. Having it be on a chartplotter is killing a fly with a flame-thrower. Below is an email I just dispatched to the VP of Standard Horizon (whom I have had some interaction with in the past)

Quote:
Jason,

Thanks again for your fantastic service regarding the need for a secondary mount for my 390i. But I have to get this off my chest and you are the only person who I think will listen, so bare with me for a moment.

The industry needs a dedicated anchor alarm unit! A single-purpose anchor alarm that is easy to use during the anchoring process. So many times I have forgotten to set the alarm AT THE POINT of dropping anchor because I am so busy trying to get all the other things done that need doing during that busy time. I'm sure you know the drill. I have no time to scroll thru a bunch of menus to activate an anchor alarm on a chartplotter. Moreover, a chartplotter alarm on the flybridge is where I will never hear when asleep below in the stateroom. Also, it will significantly reduce the numbers of false alarms you get thru the night if the wind changes direction (which it only seems to do at 3am!).

I see a vision of a box with a single big red "MARK" button on it that marks the spot where you drop your anchor. Much like an MOB button. Within the software and menus, the user has already entered boat size, draft, distance the unit is from the point on the bow where the anchor is dropped, and/or if they are on a mooring ball with depth of the water. After the anchor has been set (or you're on a mooring ball), you then can enter the rode length, alarm diameter, make fine adjustments to anchor placement, or add a second anchor location. The unit should have a handheld Bluetooth remote so users can activate the "MARK" function from anywhere on the boat should user be single-handing or the Captain hands that task off to the person manning the anchor station. Multiple local and remote alarms should be available via a wired rear connection or using Bluetooth to a smartphone. You can provide optional wireless alarms that can be placed in many location around the vessel. Even the handheld remote should be able to operate as a remote alarm. GUI interface need only be a small 3"-5" screen that tracks only itself. There is no real need for a full GPS map to be onboard the unit. It's just not needed. You only need to be able to see a realtime plot of breadcrumbs dropped every few minutes (unit of time set by user) to insure current position and to be able to see if you have swung completely around your anchor.

It seems like such an easy box to make. PLEASE consider it. Deep Blue makes one and it's STARTING price is OVER $3000!!! Here is a do-it-yourself thing I saw years ago that had me thinking: Boathooked.com: Anchor Alarm

I'm telling you... Put them on the market for a few hundred bucks and you would sell a MILLION of these things!!!! Google it... there are exactly zero in the market right now.

Thanks for your time,
Tom Beaty
Cary, NC

Oh.. Forgot to add that it should have a battery backup so that in the event of a power loss during the night, the position data is not lost when power is restored. Plus, the display should show current GPS latitude and longitude. Finally, a backlight, and alarm on/off button.