Heavy Duty Alternator sale!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FF

Guru
NO I don't own stock in DD , but went buy to pick up a couple of 8D ($150ea) and a basket of oil & fuel filters ,

The local Ft Myers DD folks had a stack of Leece Neville 160A large frame alternators.

No pulley included. Dual belts suggested.

The price of these new HD units was $150 , A bargan for those that need a better unit.

These are not small frame car leftovers as found on many converted engines, but the "real deal" that go many hundreds of thousands of miles .

Good Hunting.

For those with time and little money a prototype mounting bracket can be built of 1/4 or 3/8 ply to fit the unit to your engine or noisemaker ,, then taken to the local steel shop , or hot rod garage to be duplicated in steel.

Last edited:
Nice lead.... I'll be damned if I'll pay $600+ for a Balmar, maybe they are worth it by I could not do it.

Holy cow....that's a sweet number. Heck, I was getting a hundred bucks for 110 amp Leece Neville units almost 30 years ago. That would be a nice extra to have on the side, but I'd have to add a pulley to my crank too.

...but I'd have to add a pulley to my crank too.

Nah, too easy.

Or add a smart regulator to regulate its output to 100A and stay with the single belt. What a great price!!

Nice lead.... I'll be damned if I'll pay $600+ for a Balmar, maybe they are worth it by I could not do it.

If you can't put one of the ones that FF posted about.... take a look at the alternators that are made by ARCO in Pensacola, Fl..... ARCO Marine Alternators,Starters,Tilt-Trim Motors and Marine Electrical Parts

http://www.arcomarine.com/xhtml/Pages 52-59 Alternators.pdf

If I hadn't bought two new 105 Amp alternators from Arco.... I'd be headed down to Fort Myers in the morning.....

Last edited:
Or add a smart regulator to regulate its output to 100A and stay with the single belt. What a great price!!

Good idea, FlyWright. I wonder if they have any left. I'm in Stuart on the other coast, but I think I'll call them in the AM. Might be worth it.

Does anyone know if these would mount to a Cummins 5.9 6BT (turbo, no aftercooler)? We are thinking of upgrading our alternator to something around 100 amps with external regulation. Balmar's are nice but too expensive.

Does anyone know if these would mount to a Cummins 5.9 6BT (turbo, no aftercooler)? We are thinking of upgrading our alternator to something around 100 amps with external regulation. Balmar's are nice but too expensive.

One of the Cummins standard alternators for those engines is 105 amp Delco. I think it's a 22si. I had one on my 1999 Cummins. They are cheap and readily available. There is also a 130 and a 160 and they are "load dump protected" meabning you can switch your batteries without blowing a diode.

One of the Cummins standard alternators for those engines is 105 amp Delco. I think it's a 22si. I had one on my 1999 Cummins. They are cheap and readily available. There is also a 130 and a 160 and they are "load dump protected" meabning you can switch your batteries without blowing a diode.
I have the 105 Delco with an external regulator and it works great! (I have 3 8D AGM batts) :thumb:

concerning adding a large frame alt to a Cummins 5.9 B series, the bracket J-180 for it is available from Cummins, but you must know the part number. Also, there are some clearance issues with a water hose and of course your engine room must allow for the greater size of the new unit.

Additionally, if you want the belt cover, it is an extra cost.

I have included some pics of this type of change done by Cummins at their shop in Michigan, where they are one of the few Cummins dealers who have a guy that knows how to make a marinized Cummins B series retrofit.

If you would like a pdf list of the parts needed for such a retrofit, I could email it, as this site won't let me upload it

Attachments

• alternator mounts.jpg
    alternator mounts.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 1,435
  • alternator mounts (1).jpg
    alternator mounts (1).jpg
    163 KB · Views: 477
If you can't put one of the ones that FF posted about.... take a look at the alternators that are made by ARCO in Pensacola, Fl..... ARCO Marine Alternators,Starters,Tilt-Trim Motors and Marine Electrical Parts

Tread very carefully with ARCO, they are rebuilders of tons of marine gear.

Read carefully to assure its NEW , not a rebuilt with an amp kit.

I am aware they do rebuilding on many units... But all of the alternators (for different boats) I have bought from them are "new"....and frankly... I've had very good service from the items I have bought.

On the other hand... I have taken failed starters and other alternators to rebuilders...had them gutted and completely rebuilt....considering that all the parts on them other than the casing is new....they are as good as new, and I have always gotten good service out of those items.

NO I don't own stock in DD , but went buy to pick up a couple of 8D ($150ea) and a basket of oil & fuel filters ,

The local Ft Myers DD folks had a stack of Leece Neville 160A large frame alternators.

ahmmm, who is DD? perhaps they are not on the west coast, but the price for the 8D is sweet...

ahmmm, who is DD? perhaps they are not on the west coast, but the price for the 8D is sweet...

Yes, please who is DD ?

Healhustler I have to laugh when you call Stuart "on the other coast from Ft Meyers" - although technically true, as I drive Monday from Monterey CA out to the boat on the TN river, I will be wishing my drive would be from Stuart to the Gulf, instead of 4 days each way from the "other coast". My butt and lower back is starting to hurt just thinking about it, reminds me to add advil to the shopping list and some cheese for my "whine".

And for those wondering why not fly, this is a delivery trip with the dingy, tools and other stuff.

Back
Top Bottom