Help with Bow Thruster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Portuguese

Guru
Vessel Name
Rainha Jannota
Vessel Make
Curruira 46
Gentlemen:

I have had my Side Power thruster stuck in a box for 5 years now. We have just rigged it up properly in its place but I wonder:
Being so long in a box should I do something preventive to avoid problems once in the water?
I have read all the instructions and the user manual and nothing is said about it. I am trying to call Side Power but no answer.

Do you have any ideas?

Thankx

P.

Attachments

• BT instalado.jpg
    BT instalado.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 108
Contact the service people at Imtra. They have been very helpful to me for past problems/questions.

The only issue would be seals at the shafts I would think and the rubber gasket if one is used/supplied. I would replace those if they are able to be replaced unless the seals are something that would degrade with age that quickly.

Contact the service people at Imtra. They have been very helpful to me for past problems/questions.
:iagree: It looks like you have the new design prop on your thruster. It's suppose to give you 20-30% more thrust than the design I have.

Attachments

• Bow Thruster.jpg
    Bow Thruster.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
:iagree: It looks like you have the new design prop on your thruster. It's suppose to give you 20-30% more thrust than the design I have.

I also have the older design prop and when I spoke to the local agent about upgrading to the new design, he emphasised the reduced noise but wasn't so convincing on increased thrust - so I decided to stick with the old props.

Walt

I think Bendit is correct in his suspicion. The noise obviously will be reduced due to the ahydrodynamic profile of the new prop and the increased number of blades. The thrust could eventualy be improved but far from 20% if there's no iincrement in diameter. I would say thjat the new design, based on reports from other sites, improved in response 2%-5%. Which is outstanding in a 8.7 HP piece of equipment.
They claim that much because they say that the baldes had their area enlarged 20%

P.

Isn't the normal sound of an electric thruster to be like a "smooth" rock crusher?

img_135964_0_5e26b39779a75b6029c943740660145e.jpg

....he emphasised the reduced noise but wasn't so convincing on increased thrust

I've also been told that the new prop designs are "quieter".

For a really quiet running thruster, one must make sure that there is a raised area just forward of the thruster hole in the hull. This directs the water in such a way as to reduce cavitation. (noise) My old boat was not fared this way and it sounded like a meat grinder. I may be wrong on the increased thrust statement as it was at least 5-6 years ago when I talked to the Imtra people. They did say that there was in increase in thrust but I may be wrong about the 20-30%.

Attachments

• Thruster.jpg
    Thruster.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 150
Walt, everything on/about your boat is first class.

I like the noise, it notifies folks on the dock to look up and tell me I am "cheating" by using a bow thruster.
Steve W.

Ships have thrusters, perhaps azimuths, and even tugs, and most boats have two propellers, so I don't consider a single-propellered boat with a bow thruster to be cheating compared to most everything. Not at all!

img_135980_0_17e083666083428189cfb4974ab02c7f.jpg

Last edited:
Ditto the Imtra call. I also installed an older side power. There may also be an electrical upgrade available to keep the solenoids from ringing. The older joysticks had some issues too.

Wouldn't worry too much about seals. Modern "rubber" has a very long shelf life.

I like the noise, it notifies folks on the dock to look up and tell me I am "cheating" by using a bow thruster.
Steve W.

:D I had that on my old boat. It's true!:D

I also have the older design prop and when I spoke to the local agent about upgrading to the new design, he emphasised the reduced noise but wasn't so convincing on increased thrust - so I decided to stick with the old props.

Just got off the phone with the SidePower rep @ Imtra (Peter) and he said the new prop design is definitely quieter and an increase of 5-10% in thrust is a side benefit.

Back
Top Bottom