West Marine Changes Price Matching Policy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I sent the following email to WM:

Dear West Marine,

I am very disappointed to hear that WM will now only offer price matching within 50 miles of a store. The reason price matching (from any source) was so popular is that WM products are over priced to begin with. There have been many times I have purchased items using price matching. The price matching was even cheaper than I could get the item through my port supply account. Again, which proves most of WM items are over priced.</SPAN>

I will continue to buy marine products from sources that are priced reasonably and will most likely not be WM rather places like Fisheries Supply, England supply and the internet.

It would appear WM does not want my business and you are artificially holding prices high. In these times of hard economic times I would think WM would work with their customers and not against them, but then again the high profit philosophy of WM seems to take a priority.

This is the response I got to my email:

Tom,

Thank you for your email. I do apologize that you do not agree with our new price matching policy. If you decide to continue to do business with us, please feel free to call 1-800-BOATING to place an order.

Thanks,
James
West Marine
Customer Service
wmcustomerservice@westmarine.com
www.westmarine.com
1-800-262-8464

The arrogance is overwhelming

What do you ecpect them to say? At least they took the time to reply.

I'm sure the top people thought this through and decided tis was the best way to go. It's unrealistic to think they would change their minds because of a single complaint.

In the end, they will sink or swim on their business decisions just like any other business, marine or otherwise.

........... But the Internet won't take the time to answer questions, and it won't do things like spending two hours on our boat .............

Many Internet vendors will take the time to answer questions. These folks, for instance:

BOE Marine - Marine Electronics, GPS, Radar, Fishfinders, Autopilots, FLIR, SAT TV

As far as coming to the boat to help with an installation, I've never asked the folks at West marine to do this and I'm pretty surprised that they would.

I see a lot of posts suggesting supporting local marine businesses and "mom and pop" stores. That's great if you have them. Aside from various boat dealerships which may or may not have marine supplies, West Marine has no local competition in my area since Boaters World went under. Except for what's available at hardware stores and home centers, for me it's pretty much WM or the Internet.

How many internet suppliers can one walk to from a dock to pick up a needed part while cruising?
I buy off the net once in a while too but it sure was nice when I needed a bilge pump on a cruise an was able to walk to a WM not too far from the marina and buy one, not only that, when they found out I had walked over the manager drove me back to the boat.
Steve W

I buy off the net once in a while too but it sure was nice when I needed a bilge pump on a cruise an was able to walk to a WM not too far from the marina and buy one,

I agree! I buy off the net once in awhile but it sure is nice when you are in a hurry to just stop buy WM, get your item and split. WM is in business to make money. No one is forcing you to buy from them.

I agree! I buy off the net once in awhile but it sure is nice when you are in a hurry to just stop buy WM, get your item and split. WM is in business to make money. No one is forcing you to buy from them.

Nobody is questioning that. I don't have any problem with them making a fair profit from us, but being flat-out greedy about it is another story. Selling things at, or often above, the MSRP (which I know is just SUGGESTED) when online retailers (even the ones WITH brick and mortar locations) are selling things for far less is, if nothing else, stupid. It stinks of them just taking advantage of us and I don't like it.

You're right, nobody is forcing us to shop there, but it sure does give them a bad reputation in a lot of their customer's eyes.

You're right, nobody is forcing us to shop there, but it sure does give them a bad reputation in a lot of their customer's eyes.

If that continues or another company comes along to compete with them, they will go out of business. For now, however, they're the only game in town and are making hay while the sun's out. We did the same thing in my business for about 17 years. I sold out at the "high" and the new owner was forced to drop his prices. (Or fold.) Rule #1...Be the first to market. Rule #2....Sell the "sizzle and not the steak." Rule #3...The market determines the price. (What people are willing to pay)

I gave up on West Marine some time ago. To me, it was signifcant that at this year's Seattle Boat Show the West Marine booth had almost no inventory. Two other suppliers, LFS and Fisheries, were selling boat hooks, crab pots, life vests, etc at a steady pace throughout the show. West Marine apparently chose not to compete.

My pet peeve about pricing at Fisheries is that you really don't know what something is going to cost until you get ready to check out. Oh yeah, there's a price marked on the shelf and it's often as alarming as the price on the same item at West Marine. However, everybody has a "discount" at Fisheries. Trouble is, you have no idea until you are ringing out whether that quart of varnish, (marked $49), is really going to cost you $40, $35, or $28. Once in a while something that is clearly overpriced on the shelf rings up as, "sorry, there is no discount on that item!" So then what do you do? With ten guys behind you in line do you put up a stink about the price and look cheap, or do you just suck it up and pay what is clearly a very inflated price?

Point being, I think there is a great opportunity for somebody to operate a well stocked chandlery where the pricing policy is "fair and competitive, every day". Having to go through hoops to "price match" in order to avoid a blatant ripoff, or approaching the check stand actually uncertain whether, (after the mystery discount), you actually have enough cash in your wallet to pay for what you're trying to buy shouldn't be part of the routine purchase process for marine supplies.

I get the convenience of WM in most places. I was even impressed with their big store in Jacksonville FL. I have bought thousands of $$$ from them. If I need it in a hurry, I may now call their competitor (Fisheries, England or another marine supply) but WM will now be my last choice. Fisheries and England can usually have on my door step the next day. Seattle has tons and tons of marine supply places, most of the time much cheaper than WM or they will meet WM’s price.

Bottom line, it’s my money and I will spend it where I am welcome. Not to welcomed at WM anymore.

I'll continue to shop WM. I never use price match at any store. If I find it cheaper and am satisfied with quality I'll just buy from that vendor.

Most WM purchases for me are impulse buys or small ticket anyway.

Most WM purchases for me are impulse buys or small ticket anyway.
I do the same thing. I'll buy sealant, diapers, teak oil, but I'll never buy bigger ticket items such as electronic equipment, pumps, life rafts, dinghies, etc. I will admit, however, to buying shorts, shirts & boat shoes! It's also a great place to play with the newest electronics! (Then go make a deal with your neighborhood marine electronics store who also installs them.)

What do you ecpect them to say? At least they took the time to reply.

I'm sure the top people thought this through and decided tis was the best way to go. It's unrealistic to think they would change their minds because of a single complaint.

In the end, they will sink or swim on their business decisions just like any other business, marine or otherwise.

Some type of explanation or at least asking for your continued business would be nice...

Just bought parts for the Jabsco dunny (head) from Defender. Sufficiently cheaper than local boat shops, with shipping, to make it worthwhile. A whole new manual pump here is $190. Just like the Johnson Ultima switches, 2 from Amazon for the price of 1 locally. You guys are on a good deal from your retailers compared to here. Don`t get too upset by the changes. Retail here is tough at present partly due to mark ups over the top and internet competition.

It seems like an opporunity out there for someone to make millions. Simple, open outlets all over the US, carry lots of inventory, hire staff, and sell at internet pricing. Customers will be breaking the doors down to get in and buy. Any takers?
Not me.
Steve W

I'm not ready to equate WM with Best Buy or any of that ilk. It pays to buy local and buy smart. Buying local helps your neighbors. Buying smart helps you. I buy from Fisheries or other small shops first, but I'm glad WM is there and in business.

On another forum this guy wrote the CEO of WM and this was the response:

Bill,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to me with your thoughts and concerns. I’m sorry you’re disappointed with the change of our price match policy. Internet pricing has become a very big challenge for retailers, in our case we found ourselves being asked to match prices with folks who didn’t actually carry the inventory, folks who didn’t guarantee their products or others that may not be authorized dealers. We provide a different proposition to our customers.

After a fair bit of benchmarking with many retailers in a similar position to ourselves we chose to evolve our price match policy to one similar to Cabela’s and others. When we made this decision we knew we were not going to make every one of our customer’s happy, but our focus is on providing the value of a no hassle guarantee, convenient locations, easy returns, expert service (the good people in our stores that your refer to) and 4% back on our West Advantage program.

We do watch online competitor’s prices and I believe that we’re quite competitive. I understand that we’re not always the lowest price (add back shipping and West Advantage and often we are) but as a retailer we continue to drop prices, update our stores for better shopping experiences, provide great service and bring new products to the market.

I’m sorry you’re disappointed with this change and I hope you’ll continue to consider West Marine for your boating needs.

Sincerely,

Matt

Matt Hyde
CEO
West Marine
MattH@WestMarine.com

On another forum this guy wrote the CEO of WM and this was the response:

Bill,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to me with your thoughts and concerns. I’m sorry you’re disappointed with the change of our price match policy. Internet pricing has become a very big challenge for retailers, in our case we found ourselves being asked to match prices with folks who didn’t actually carry the inventory, folks who didn’t guarantee their products or others that may not be authorized dealers. We provide a different proposition to our customers.

After a fair bit of benchmarking with many retailers in a similar position to ourselves we chose to evolve our price match policy to one similar to Cabela’s and others. When we made this decision we knew we were not going to make every one of our customer’s happy, but our focus is on providing the value of a no hassle guarantee, convenient locations, easy returns, expert service (the good people in our stores that your refer to) and 4% back on our West Advantage program.

We do watch online competitor’s prices and I believe that we’re quite competitive. I understand that we’re not always the lowest price (add back shipping and West Advantage and often we are) but as a retailer we continue to drop prices, update our stores for better shopping experiences, provide great service and bring new products to the market.

I’m sorry you’re disappointed with this change and I hope you’ll continue to consider West Marine for your boating needs.

Sincerely,

Matt

Matt Hyde
CEO
West Marine
MattH@WestMarine.com

Now that's a more professional explanation of the reasoning behind their decision.

Why even bother with WM? Even thier sale prices are overpriced 90% of the time! You go there to look at something you want to buy and then order it on the internet. Their decision NOT to price match WILL eventually close thier doors! Something I would not want to see as I use them for physically looking at an item I want to buy.

Why even bother with WM? Even thier sale prices are overpriced 90% of the time! You go there to look at something you want to buy and then order it on the internet. Their decision NOT to price match WILL eventually close thier doors! Something I would not want to see as I use them for physically looking at an item I want to buy.

So they should stay open and pay their help and bills just as a personal showroom for you? That's pretty selfserving and selfish. With "customers" like you, they will go out of business and then what will you do?

I shop at WM and on the Internet, I'm no fool. But I don't go to WM and take up al the salesperson's time explaining something to me and then rush of to order it from an offshore ebay vendor. That's just not right. How would you like it if people did that to your business?

I have absolutely no problem with you shopping at WM. Please don't try to educate me on how or where to shop. For you to "spank" me for being smart is insane! I guess you really don't understand business. Good sailing!!

I doubt that trawler owners are WM's target clientele. You guys squeeze every penny til it cries. They are looking for go fasts, newbies and fisherman. They spend money.
I'm not surprised by folks here that drive to WM then drive home and buy online and pay shipping to have the same item delivered to the same hands that were just holding it several days earlier. Hope it's worth it to y'all.

I doubt that trawler owners are WM's target clientele. You guys squeeze every penny til it cries.

We have that in common with our blow-boat brethren! :D

Just a note. I would not drive to WM for ANY small item (less than $1000.00) but find it VERY worth while (including gas) to do so. I saved approx. $25,000.00 buy shopping online setting up my new trawler (2010 at that time) I really don't know how you can argue with that. If you can...God Bless!

Shop smart and worry about the name of the place you bought it from only as a last resort if you need customer service...but if you shop smart...that's factored in...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom