Thread: NADA Guides
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 07:50 AM   #6
boatpoker
Guru

City: Here
a significant part of my business is doing third party valuations for all the Canadian banks on repossesed boats. I use BUC, NADA, ABOS and soldboats.com

I noticed a few anomolies over the years ... boats in the Cnadian Maritimes, British Columbia and the US west coast sell for more than the Great Lakes or the east coast. Boats in Texas are usually the lowest prices. Location does count but less so in bigger and higher end boats.

Most of the boats I appraise are sold through auction and therefore neither survey, mechanical, nor sea trials are possible. Basically its a bit of a gamble. Under these conditions you can well imagine that boats sell for substantially less than the open market. The statement below is the valuation statement in my repossession appraisals.

This valuation opinion is intended for insurance and financing purposes only and is not intended to influence the purchase or purchase price of the subject vessel. The surveyor has no interest in the vessel financial or otherwise. It is the opinion of the surveyor that approximate as is, where is value at auction of this vessel without benefit of mechanical inspection, survey or sea trial is ............

I find that in boats under 24' NADA prices are very close to actual auction (duress sales) sales numbers but other than that their prices are very low and not relative to the actual market.

In valuations for my regular surveys I use the same sources but stick pretty close to soldboats numbers. You might be interested in
Boat Values, a Crap Shoot.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote