Furniture Movement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tony B

Guru
Vessel Name
Serenity
Vessel Make
Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
This is the first boat that I have owned that does not have built-in furniture.

I have a Mainship 36 Dual Cabin motoryacht and 90% of the salon sole is removable for access to the engines.

The engine compartment is below the salon so fixing furniture to the removable deck boards is neither practical nor safe.

How do you guys and gals secure your furniture while on the go?

Our furniture is all freestanding as well. We have eyelets on the walls with hooks and light lines that hold everything secured while underway. One line on each side of the salon around the furniture. Without it, every wake sends the furniture to the other side of the salon. This is why we call being waked a "furniture scrambler".

Phil: Thanks for the input, however, carpet is out of the question for us - the Admiral developed a degenerative lung disorder this past year and rugs collect too much dust.

Besslb: I have thought about the hooks and line thing and hope it will keep the settee in place. the last thing I need is the settee crashing into my electrical panels

There is a type of small, flush mount "pad eye" used on ships and large yachts that is recessed into the deck. One is located beneath each chair position and usually a pair for a table.

Each piece of furniture or chair has an eye attached underneath and a short piece of line with a turnbuckle is used to connect the two eyes. It is all but invisible, does not intrude in the walkways and can be loose enough to allow more or less normal use of chairs or tightened for any degree oh roll.

Have you tried the plastic anti slip mesh used on table tops to stop things sliding about? Comes in rolls,various colors, costs very little. Not its intended use under furniture, but it might work.

If the furniture has feet or legs, you could get some plastic or metal cups that fit the feet or legs and screw them to the floor, then set the furniture into them. This wouldn't keep the furniture in place if you overturned, but would keep it in place during normal operation.

If the furniture has feet or legs, you could get some plastic or metal cups that fit the feet or legs and screw them to the floor, then set the furniture into them. This wouldn't keep the furniture in place if you overturned, but would keep it in place during normal operation.

Depends what you call "normal" I guess.

Tie downs similar to what Rick described are essential IMHO. Anything else is just glorified carpet. Gray Hawk's previous owner had removed the tie down for the salon table. One particularly exciting bar crossing was all it took for us to reinstall the anchor. In our case there is a t-track in the cabin sole and a t-bolt that attaches the table to the sole. The bolt is loose enough that the table can slide but tight enough that it doesn't slide unless you want it to. And even if it does move a bit on its own its range of movement is severely restricted.

Friends sitting in them ;-)

I realize you're joking but I had a buddy sitting in the helm chair when we got rocked by a big tug under the 1st Narrows Bridge in Vancouver. I saw it coming and hollered to him to hang on but he didn't take my warning seriously enough. If you get rocked bad enough the chair will just be in the way.

Tony,

I made these brackets out of teak plywood. Once screwed to the sole the futon never moved. It can easily be lifted out of the bracket if needed.

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_0108.jpg
    IMG_0108.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
I realize you're joking but I had a buddy sitting in the helm chair when we got rocked by a big tug under the 1st Narrows Bridge in Vancouver. I saw it coming and hollered to him to hang on but he didn't take my warning seriously enough. If you get rocked bad enough the chair will just be in the way.

Ah ok Bugger lol. Did ya have a chuckle? im hopeless like that. Cant help but pmsl when that sorta thing happens, and yer I was just playin :)

Last edited:
If you had carpet, give Velcro a crack. I've since learnt some boat roof linings are held up by it. Dunno Maybe worth a look I suppose?

Remember if the furniture is dancing you will usually need a revamp of hand holds for the occupants to be able to move about,, with out being tosses into a bulkhead.

Most stock boats are very shy of hand holds , probably from not wanting to scare purchasers .

.....Most stock boats are very shy of hand holds , probably from not wanting to scare purchasers .

How true. I'm used to sailboats where hand-holds are all along the overhead and on many other places.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom