Repaint or decal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LaBomba

Guru
Vessel Name
Looking Glass
Vessel Make
Carver 370 Voyager
The name on our boat was likely painted on by the original owner in 1981 and the name on the back and both sides are badly faded. Is it easy to remove a painted sign, has anyone done this, and then have decals made, or should I just find someone to repaint the original. Thoughts??

Attachments

• summer 09 064 (Large).jpg
    summer 09 064 (Large).jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 113
It's so easy to have a sign store make exactly what you want on stickback and put them on yourself (spray surface with slightly soapy water, peel backing, position, reposition then squeegee, remove topsheet and final squeegee). Even 4 color work is phenomenal - I had a bumper sticker made of my dog 4 years ago and it's still as bright today as when I put it on.

We changed the name on our last boat after 16 years. We wet sanded off the old lettering using 800, 1200, 1500 grit then buffed. You could still see the old "name" if you looked for it. The gel-coat under the painted faded at a different rate so we had a ghost image. We did experimented with some solvents but were afraid we would damage the gel coat.

We applied the new name over the same area as Jeff outlined and it was cheap, easy and looked good IMHO. We just put new vinyl letters on Hobo. The 2 name boards and the transom w/ port of call was ~$150.

Last edited:
If the original name is a decal, it shouldn't be hard to get it off.

If it's painted over gel coat, a chemical stripper may get it off without damage to the gel coat. I believe West Marine sell a stripper for this purpose.

If the name is painted on a painted hull, I doubt you'll get it off without damaging the painted hull. Repainting the sign would seem to be the best choice.

I think I would get a quote on repainting and then compare it to the cost and labor of removing it and installing a decal.

If you're keeping the name, lettering style, and color, based on your photo I think it would make the most sense to mask off your current, straight-edged lettering, "etch" it a bit with fine sandpaper, and repaint it.

Marin is right, the solution is repainting the signage you have. I did it on a sailboat, the writing style was much more complex than yours with no prospect of masking up. I did it freehand using a small artists brush, a cloth at the ready for any errors. You need a steady hand, or both hands, on the brush.
It may help to establish the kind of paint used, otherwise thoroughly sand the existing paint first. Best mask up for that too.

The Coot's builder painted my boat's name without extra cost. But if I was doing it with a blank transom, I'd lean toward a decal unless personally knowing a good painter-artist.

img_135609_0_647e80a616aba298efb43f6c3fb0ebab.jpg

If the original name is a decal, it shouldn't be hard to get it off.

If it's painted over gel coat, a chemical stripper may get it off without damage to the gel coat. I believe West Marine sell a stripper for this purpose.

If the name is painted on a painted hull, I doubt you'll get it off without damaging the painted hull. Repainting the sign would seem to be the best choice.

I think I would get a quote on repainting and then compare it to the cost and labor of removing it and installing a decal.

It is painted over gelcoat so may come off with a stripper but to Marin's point, I am keeping the name and just want to brighten. I like decals but in this case I think it may be easier, quicker and cheaper to just repaint.
Thanks for the thoughts.

I just had my boat done. I sanded off the old name which had been painted on (including the dolphins) as recommended by Larry.
I had the decal guy put the new one (Avalon). I’ve done it before myself, but with the drop lettering, I’d rather “pay the man” to get it right. KJ

Attachments

• OLD NAME.jpg
    OLD NAME.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 113
  • AVALON.jpg
    AVALON.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 108
Our trawler had the name painted on and it was faded bad. We wet sanded and then had decals made. We self installed the new decals.

IF your boat is a USCG doccummented boat I believe paint for the name is required.

This is a test, right? Here's what the USCG says:

The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull. The vessel name of a commercial vessel must also be marked on the port and starboard bow and the vessel name and the hailing port must also be marked on the stern. All markings may be made by any means and materials that result in durable markings and must be at least four inches in height....

USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, FAQ Page

Mine is federally registered in Canada and the requirements are very similar to the USA.

For pleasure craft and air cushion vehicles, both the name and port of registry must be marked together on a clearly visible exterior part of the hull. For commercial vessels, the vessel name must be marked on each bow and the vessel name and port of registry must be marked on the stern. If the vessel has a square bow, the name may be marked on a clearly visible exterior part of the bow in order to avoid obliteration. The markings may be made by the use of any means and materials that result in durable markings.

I'd paint...I bought decals this time so I would have a good template for paint next time (I was also pressed for time this season).

Next time is paint...maybe gold leaf if I wann get "yachtie"...but that would be overkill for the rest of my workboat finish for now.:eek::D

Great , any means and materials that result in durable markings ,

Maybe the docc hull number can now be put on with a decal instead of carved into the main beam too?

I remember having to repaint a transom "CHAOS " as it was done in Peter Max style script instead of block letters.

Maybe the docc hull number can now be put on with a decal instead of carved into the main beam too?.

Nope, it has to be installed in a way that removal would be obvious. A pretty silly law since it would not be difficult to hide the damaged area with a tank, cabinet, etc., but a law none the less.

We removed the original painted name and found a ghost image below. Hired a fiberglass guy to buff, polish, etc etc etc. There was then substantially less ghosting, but still visible. As we were changing the name and lettering style, that wasn't going to be acceptable.

Solution? The lettering on our transom is not enormous. The letters are 5-6" high, as were the old ones. We had the vinyl graphics shop put the name on a background that completely covered the ghosted area. So, yeah, it looks like a "sign" with the boat's name on it- but it looks a lot more attractive than a ghosted image.

We had the name painted on our prior boat and the purchaser could not get the paint off after trying for two years. (I have no idea what all he tried!). He finally gave up and got a decal like Chuck describes with a background to cover the painted on name.

We had the name painted on our prior boat and the purchaser could not get the paint off after trying for two years. (I have no idea what all he tried!). He finally gave up and got a decal like Chuck describes with a background to cover the painted on name.

Certainly a third very viable alternative that I had not thought of. The lettering is a little boring the way it is so it would be nice to dress it up a little (maybe gold leaf). I have called a local sign painter to see what he can do with it and for how much $$. I will call a local decal fellow I have used in the past and see how the two compare. Many thanks.:thumb:

Great , any means and materials that result in durable markings ,

Maybe the docc hull number can now be put on with a decal instead of carved into the main beam too?

I remember having to repaint a transom "CHAOS " as it was done in Peter Max style script instead of block letters.

You can use decals but you then have to glass over the decals so they are visible but can't be removable. This is what is on our boat.

Our transom had 20yrd old decals over a painted transom. I sanded them off and primed twice then two coats rolled and tipped. The old name thank God is not visible at any angle. New name was a decal from a local sign shop. I also had them make stickers for the name boards which I made from MDO which I painted then covered with the full coverage stickers.

The lettering is a little boring the way it is so it would be nice to dress it up a little (maybe gold leaf). I have called a local sign painter to see what he can do with it and for how much $$. I will call a local decal fellow I have used in the past and see how the two compare. Many thanks.:thumb:

Ask him about a product called "Real Gold" by SignGold. It's real 22kt gold in a vinyl. I use it all the time here when customers will pay for it. 15 year warranty as well. Good stuff.

sign vinyl

We can see ghost images of both of Skinny Dippin's prior names on the transom... and we don't really care. The dinghy covers them and we moved the name up to the sundeck surround. See Bess' avatar. Pretty sure it will ghost-in too, but up there will be easy to paint over if, in the future, there are new owners.

I have a quick question: If we ever sell her, can we, in a sales contract, require or request that the new owners to change the name?

Tom-

We can see ghost images of both of Skinny Dippin's prior names on the transom... and we don't really care. The dinghy covers them and we moved the name up to the sundeck surround. See Bess' avatar. Pretty sure it will ghost-in too, but up there will be easy to paint over if, in the future, there are new owners.

I have a quick question: If we ever sell her, can we, in a sales contract, require or request that the new owners to change the name?

Tom-

You could get it in writing...but if they didn't...would you sue to get them to? :socool:

Back
Top Bottom