Monk 36

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Takeitesea

Veteran Member
I am in the process of purchasing a Monk 36. Very excited. Are there any issues I should look for?

What year model is it? Like any trawler be sure that fuel tanks are not leaking or overly rusted. Check the holding tank to be sure it is not leaking some were of SS the newer models of plastic. The run from the aft head to the holding tank is pretty long be sure it is flushing correctly.
We have had our 2003 Monk 36 GUMBO since 2008 we are very happy with it and think it is an excellent boat.
Have it surveyed by a competent surveyor, he will know the things to look for in any trawler.
There is a fine owners group, the Monk Owners Association, Monk36OwnersAssociation : Monk 36 Owners Association

The anual rendezvous will be held June 13-15 in Norfolk VA usually about 15-20 boats are on hand with another 4-5 couples attending by car. It is a good chance to meet other owners and see what they have done with their boats. Sadly we cannot attend this year, we have for the last 3 years and had a great time.
If you have any questions feel free to PM to my profile page.
Steve Willett

I am in the process of purchasing a Monk 36. Very excited. Are there any issues I should look for?

I have a 1984 Monk. Hull #48.

The hull is solid glass. The windows leak, but we have covers. If you like the layout it is a great boat. Let me know if you have any questions. I don't check in often, since I try to be boating as much as possible.

Rusted or corroded fuel tanks have been the big issue I have seen; sold two of them this year.

Rusted or corroded fuel tanks have been the big issue I have seen; sold two of them this year.
I second this. Mine had been replaced and my filters are never clogged. If you buy an old boat of any type, check the tanks because it will be an expensive repair.

The Monk 36 is a great boat. We completely refit ours from top to bottom prior to buying our 45 and now selling our Monk 36. Ours is hull #30, 1983 model. Systems are robust but simple and easy to maintain and durable. LOVE the layout- truly one of the best layouts with the most storage of any boat it's size I've been on. Love the lines and love the no teak decks.

We looked at a Monk 36 few days ago. The only thing I didn't like about it was the settee seating. Wondering if anyone has removed the settee and put in 2 comfortable chairs instead.

A friend had a Monk 36 for several years; he sold the boat due to health. His only issue from a design standpoint was the limited sight lines aft from the lower helm. There's only one small window in the galley (stbd) and no visibility aft to the port side.

I have a 1984 Monk 36 Hull #31. The only major problem I had with mine was the aft deck was a little spongy. Replaced about 12 sq ft of core. All other systems work great. Always get compliments about the looks and lines.

We looked at a Monk 36 few days ago. The only thing I didn't like about it was the settee seating. Wondering if anyone has removed the settee and put in 2 comfortable chairs instead.
I don't know of anyone doing that, the straight back seating is not very comfortable, some owners have changed the seating cushions to add lumbar support, the modified one I sat in was very comfortable. the setee does provide a lot of under seat storage space.
They are very good boats in my opinion.
Good luck
Steve W

Last edited:
Yes, I know of someone who pulled the setee and put into place two chairs. He was a very skilled finish carpenter so it wasn't a big deal for him. I didn't see him do it as I didn't get to know him untill long after it was done.
It worked for his wife and him.

A friend has an Albin 36 and his had the same thing done by the previous owner and he loves it. Allowed for a BEEG chair which suits him.

Boating Twig

First time post, so hope I get it somewhere near right.
I am new to the forum and already asking for advice. I too am in the process of buying a Monk 36, 1986 model.
It is located upper Chesapeake Bay, name of Gypsy Soul if any of you might know it and can offer information or history etc.
Thank you and have greatly enjoyed reading the various posts....have already learned a great deal.
Surveyor I have scheduled said: "Have I got this right. You live in Kansas City, buying a boat in Maryland, and taking the boat to Florida>" ....Yep

First time post, so hope I get it somewhere near right.
I am new to the forum and already asking for advice. I too am in the process of buying a Monk 36, 1986 model.
It is located upper Chesapeake Bay, name of Gypsy Soul if any of you might know it and can offer information or history etc.
Thank you and have greatly enjoyed reading the various posts....have already learned a great deal.
Surveyor I have scheduled said: "Have I got this right. You live in Kansas City, buying a boat in Maryland, and taking the boat to Florida>" ....Yep

Welcome aboard! I looked in the Monk Owners Assn roster and that boat was not listed as far back as 2013.

Welcome aboard! I looked in the Monk Owners Assn roster and that boat was not listed as far back as 2013.

On the power panel, it says "Sea Horse 36". I suspect it is not a Monk but rather a Monk design.

Hope this isn't hijacking, but the Monk 36 is on my short list for our home away from home. Does anybody know the air draft with mast, bimini, etc down? A couple of listings have said 15'6", which would make it 2' taller than the GB 36. Is that right? Thanks for any replies.

MaryD33950, we looped On our 1986 Monk 36 and recieved many "great looking trawler" comments. The salon/galley/lower steering station layout is ok if four people are very friendly. We had a fully enclosed fly bridge and used it 95% of the time.
We did hear of what I would consider the ultimate Monk 36 remodel. The aft stateroom bed was removed and it was made into a very nice salon area with comfy seating, big screen tv, etc. Also the owner used the bath tub in the aft head as a beer cooler. Sounds like a nice man cave on a trawler remod !
wpc691, 15'6" sounds about right as I recall.
Takeitesea, we had no problems with our Monk36, we did have a Perkins engine which is a great engine. The black iron fuel tanks need to really be checked over before buying and the tight mid ships salon area may not appeal to some folks. We bought our Monk 36 making the transition from 25 years of sailing so the Monk looked huge to us.

Last edited:
Spongy Aft Deck

I have a 1984 Monk 36 Hull #31. The only major problem I had with mine was the aft deck was a little spongy. Replaced about 12 sq ft of core. All other systems work great. Always get compliments about the looks and lines.
Hi, was your water ingress in your aft deck, due to teak decking? Thanks

I’ve been told that older teak decking can be the source of water ingress under the sealant around the deck filler pipe flanges. Have you seen this pattern? Thanks

I’ve been told that older teak decking can be the source of water ingress under the sealant around the deck filler pipe flanges. Have you seen this pattern? Thanks

Looking for Monk 36 to buy

Hi,
My wife and I are new to this group and looking for a Monk 36 to purchase. I understand the first Monks were built in Taiwan in 1982, and then in Nova Scotia beginning in 1992 until 2007 and was wondering what the differences was between the older Monks and the newer Monks?
We plan on using her in the Pacific Northwest. If anyone has one for sale or knows of someone who has one for sale please let us know. East coast or west coast would work for us.
Thanks,
David

There are 4 listed on YachtWorld today. Good luck.

The one in Canada is under contract, just found out after we expressed an interest in it.
We will keep looking. The other ones look in my opinion poor condition.

Boat was sold

I am experiencing several used boats for sale still listed but find they are under contract or have been sold. I think the brokers do that to show more inventory and get you to call.

As to your search, expand it to 'For sale by owners. The two Monk designs we've seen looked like they would be good loopers.

Galley Table Legs:Monk 36

Hi folks, my offset, telescopic table legs are in need of replacing. Has anyone sourced a better offset pedestal design than the originals?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom