• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

For Sale: Grand Banks 42 Classic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FF

Guru
A neighbor hit 80 and wants to pass on his 1969 Grand Banks Classic woodie to good hands.

With the usual GB above average construction , hardware and building skills this GB is in good condition and ready for more years running the AICW ,the Bahamas , the loop or being a comfortable home for a live a board.

Boats for sale ABLBoats ablboats.com

Now located in fresh water here at Floridas best Hurricane hole , Ortona FL

Call ALL 828-429-2692

Twin Lehman 120's and all the goodies usually found on a GB ,

Price reduced to $35K US.

Come on down and drive it home , ready to go, NOT a "fixer upper".

Fred, to quote the linked advert "......1969 GB Woodie, fiberglass bottom..". does this mean the hull is GRP and the deck house is wooden?

No GBs were made with fiberglass hulls and wood topsides. My guess I'd this is a stock 1969 woody that has had its hull-- or part of it-- glassed over for some reason. I think this is a very bad idea but anyone interested in this boat should ask Bob Lowe on the GB owners forum what he thinks of it..

American Marine did not start building in fiberglass until mid-1973 with GB36-360 and the entire boat was fiberglass, not just the hull.

Last edited:
ther is nothing wrong with glassing over wooden hulls,most of the custom boats are cold mold such as a ji,m smith or a buddy davis and many more are wood glassed over?????

As with everything else, it all depends on how the job is done. The original planked hulls of GB woodies "work" a bit and if this opens up minute cracks in the fiberglass overlay and creates spaces between the planks and the fiberglass covering on the hull and moisture gets in to become trapped between the fiberglass and the wood the door is then opened to rot problems.

ther is nothing wrong with glassing over wooden hulls,most of the custom boats are cold mold such as a ji,m smith or a buddy davis and many more are wood glassed over?????

I think you can add Jarret Bay to that list. Many use epoxy resins that have great adhesion and strength. It is an accepted method building high end custom sports fishermen because of the lightness and speed.

Build Process | Jarrett Bay Boatworks

Don--- Are these manufacturers building conventional, fully-framed, wood-planked hulls and then glassing it over or are they building cold-molded hulls or using some other "modern" hull-layup method?

Because the question is not if fiberglass-over-wood hulls are viable, but if fiber-glassing over a somewhat flexible, timber-framed, conventionally planked wood hull built in 1969 is a reliable process.

Last edited:
Don--- Are these manufacturers building conventional, fully-framed, wood-planked hulls and then glassing it over or are they building cold-molded hulls or using some other "modern" hull-layup method?

Because the question is not if fiberglass-over-wood hulls are viable, but if fiber-glassing over a somewhat flexible, timber-framed, conventionally planked wood hull built in 1969 is a reliable process.

Marin, most are not conventionally planked, but use something like the West System of diagonally laid plywood sheets in layers. Some of the Downeast Carolina built boats are what they call strip planked. That is about 1 1/2' x 1 1/2" long strips of cypress edge glued and glued to the frames with epoxy. Then they are fastened with Monel screws or ring shank nails. Then they are covered with fiberglass. They are very strong and take a beating. The heavily pronounced Carolina flair is to turn the big seas away. Until you experience the ride, it's hard to imagine.

The lightest ones use the cold molded plywood with kevlar reinforced epoxy resins. Un believably fast. Above 40 knots in some cases.

Here's video of Jarret Bay glassing a hull.

http://www.jarrettbay.com/why-jarrett-bay/videos/

Last edited:
As with any modification the experience , skill and materials used in the mod are far more important than some armchair "theory" .

This was done by pros , in a pro yard , who have over 2 decades at the process.

For shallow water , like the Bahamas , it is good insurance as touching bottom at some time is common , as are WORMS .

I looked at some of the older "Huckins" awhile back, I was taken by the lines these beautiful boats had. Up untill the early 70's many of the older models were glass over wood (double diagonal hull) from the factory. Interesting

With the newer CAD programs and computer controlled 5 axle routers it is much easier to build the mold plugs for complex one piece molds. This has revolutionized composite boat construction.

By the way, juniper strip planked boats were usually made of cypress. I sold cypress lumber to some of the shrimp boat builders in St. Augustine and along the St. Johns River back in the 1960s.

Jerry (and others)- there is nothing wrong with a glass over wood construction method IF the method is a part of the original layup method, such as cold molding.

Marin is correct in that glass over wood can be a very bad idea IF the glass was added post build. I see many surveys where a woodie (Chris Craft, Fairliner and the like) has been hauled and glassed over the original planking. This creates a "bath-tub" that traps moisture left in the wood.

I don't know of an marine insuring market that will take on this type of risk.

I don't know of an marine insuring market that will take on this type of risk.

The boat IS currently insured.

The questions that beg to be asked- by who and what type of policy? Not that there need be an answer. As the details aren't mine (or anyone else's) business.

This boat looks very Nice. The glassed over bottom is a big issue. Most wooden boat buyers want to be able to inspect the bottom planking for rot.

Generally a good bottom paint job keeps the worms at bay. The keel could have a wormshoe installed for protection after grounding.

This is a tough call but I think the price has to adjusted lower, or the glass removed to sell this yacht.

JohnP

This boat looks very Nice. The glassed over bottom is a big issue. Most wooden boat buyers want to be able to inspect the bottom planking for rot.

Generally a good bottom paint job keeps the worms at bay. The keel could have a wormshoe installed for protection after grounding.

This is a tough call but I think the price has to adjusted lower, or the glass removed to sell this yacht.

JohnP

The 'glass layer will also prevent fasteners from being removed for inspection as part of a survey (a requirement for wood boats).

If the vessel is in good shape, doesn't leak in a rainstorm and needs little front end money - $30-35K is a very fair price. Use the vessel until the worms get it and throw it away. It sounds like a good entry level vessel to me. Excepting the glass over, I did it this way once and had a lot of fun for 5 years and ended up selling the boat for what I paid.

But, if the boat smells bad, run.

"But, if the boat smells bad, run."

The "Best" quick inspection technique .

Come on down , bring your nose along!

Check Alan Vaitses method of covering wood boats with FG. Many were discounted back in the 70's as "definitely would not hold up" and are still in service today.
Several were USCG inspected passenger boats that had their documentation changed from wood construction to FRP.
Incidentally, Owens Corning did not approve of this use of (their) FG covering.
For those that are not familiar with AV, he was a very talented Wood boat builder, repairer and marina operator. Later in life he became a surveyor and author. His methods were not politically correct for the times.

If the FRP is laid over the wood like paint a thin skim coat, the end results will probably be poor over the long haul.

If the FRP was laid over the wood to increase the vessel strength making it more "stiff" the results can be long lasting.

Lots of variables to the above statements cause there realy is no black or white answer.

My take from what I have seen here in the PNW over the years.

I prefer to just maintain original.

You do not have to pull fasteners to check integrity. You go down into the bilge with a hammer and tap ( or hit ) the frames on there sides. The sound or lack of is a very easy tell tale as to there condition. Fasteners ready to part will part.

Tap and drill , what comes out with the drill bit is what it is. Then inject the hole with thickened epoxy for repair of drilled hole.

I find it sad that insurance brokers are tasked with the valuation of hard working folks property based on what seems to be inernet hearsay in many many cases. Instead of the actual vessel condition.

My 2 cents

I can understand how reluctant an insurance co would be on a wooden boat .

I see the problem as a lack of skills and expertise.

A piling bangs a 2ft square hole in a GRP cookie and the hardest part is getting to the repair area , the fix is easy.

A 2 ft hole in a wooden boat would be a bunch of long planks , a far larger repair, requiring materials , tools and skills hardly at the local yard.

With the price of the boat 5% or 10% of a new GB , I would assume thew new owners would be live a boards (to easily take care of the boat) that would purchase liability insurance , and simply self insure for any future self inflicted crash damage.

If the FRP is laid over the wood like paint a thin skim coat, the end results will probably be poor over the long haul.

If the FRP was laid over the wood to increase the vessel strength making it more "stiff" the results can be long lasting.

Lots of variables to the above statements cause there realy is no black or white answer.

My take from what I have seen here in the PNW over the years.

I prefer to just maintain original.

You do not have to pull fasteners to check integrity. You go down into the bilge with a hammer and tap ( or hit ) the frames on there sides. The sound or lack of is a very easy tell tale as to there condition. Fasteners ready to part will part.

Tap and drill , what comes out with the drill bit is what it is. Then inject the hole with thickened epoxy for repair of drilled hole.

I find it sad that insurance brokers are tasked with the valuation of hard working folks property based on what seems to be inernet hearsay in many many cases. Instead of the actual vessel condition.

My 2 cents

Pulling fasteners isn't just Internet hearsay, nor is it voodoo magic- and tapping on a wood hull can't tell you the whole story. Silica bronze turns pink as a byproduct of continuous water immersion in the plank- a 4" long fastener that is showing pink along half it's length is indicative of that plank being saturated. (As learned from Lynne Reister of Lodestar Marine- she teaches wood boat surveying and is recognized as a subject matter expert on wood boats.)

Wood boats are insurable- but there are few skilled craftsmen to repair damages, and the salvage value is minuscule when compared to a glass boat. So, underwriting is much more cautious when approving that type of risk.

Peter- Marine Insurance Guru & tuna fishing addict!

Peter you kinda twisted my words around.

I suggested a different, a valid or additional way to "check" fasteners no where did I suggest pulling fasteners was "internet hearsay".

When checking a wood boat I suggested a hammer , tapping and a drill ! Just how do you believe a surveryor can determin the what and where to check a wood boat if signs of distress are hidden.

My old wood boat hull is not fastened from the outside. It would be sad to watch a recognized surveyor destroy a boat looking for fasteners to pull when there are non.

My internet hearsay remark is directed to the insurance brokers that would make a remark to a guy that walk's into his office looking at insuring an old wood boat.

To be told

The boat has FRP over the wood and could not be insurable as the fasteners can not be inspected. Even if the boat is currently insured under a current survey.

Thats is sad.

There is no black and white answer when it comes to condition of boats, it comes down to each individual vessel. Be that wood FRP metal or rock !

Again my 2 cents

Guys

I am building my 3rd wood/epoxy boat from scratch and I can tell you:
There is no way to encapsulate wood properly with long lasting adherence, with any other resin, but epoxy. Yet, we need to choose the different epoxy resins applicable to different purposes. To impregnate it is used one type different from the one that glues wood or any other material

If we encapsulate wood with polyester resin and FG, for example, assuming the job was well done, the water will not get in easily, but, the FG will not be glued to the wood at all because there's no adherence between both materials. In time, the wood will shrink a little bit and it will be loosed trapped inside of the encapsulation

Jim Smith and all the other fishing machines are wood epoxy at its best.
In the early 90’s, I rebuilt an American traditional Sportfishing machine in FG, built originaly in the early 70's. The project was to strip out all the wood structure pieces and replace them by PVC foam/FG beams. The story is that all wood beams were loosed inside of their FG “boxes”.

P.

Last edited:
The boat is probably sold , two buyers , but no bidding war yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom