Recommendation for kayak or canoe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shall we argue the virtues of single versus twin drives on these? :banghead::horse::hide:

We bought two Santee Sport 116 kayaks and love them. Very easy to get in/out of. Much lighter than the tandem that we had considered and very easy to manouver.

Attachments

• DSC_0224.jpg
    DSC_0224.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 207
I like these, dual purpose paddleboard and sit on top kayak, add a wet suit for Alaska paddling! Plus they are low profile so they are easy to stack two together.
Nalu 12.5 | Ocean Kayak

What are the pros and cons of sit ontop of or sit in?? We would be in calm rivers and creek anchorages, perhaps a beach landing now and then. The cheap(250.00) sit on top ofs look like all we need.

What do you think?

The sit in type are more stable, and IMO more versatile. We can carry supplies internally, as well as attach a splash skirt.

Rusty,

Same offer to you as well as anybody else on the forum - if you want to try one first, come on over to Benicia an give it a whirl. You'll (and her) will be glad you did! Let me know.

Thanks for the offer. I'll PM you if we can arrange it.

What are the pros and cons of sit ontop of or sit in?? We would be in calm rivers and creek anchorages, perhaps a beach landing now and then. The cheap(250.00) sit on top ofs look like all we need.

What do you think?
Pros of sit on tops: easy to get in and out of; cooler for summer paddling; the dog can sit on top too
Cons: you're gonna get wet; cold for winter paddling; can't pack as much stuff

Pros of sit on tops: easy to get in and out of; cooler for summer paddling; the dog can sit on top too
Cons: you're gonna get wet; cold for winter paddling; can't pack as much stuff

Couldn't agree more!:thumb:

Seems like the question of the year for people going to Alaska this summer. My wife and I are planning to leave La Conner to move our boat to Alaska around the first of May. In addition to our dinghy, I am looking at the Aire Tributary (Amazon.com: Tributary Strike 2 Inflatable Kayak: Sports & Outdoors) when both of us want to go paddling. I have used the Tomcat version and it was nice to paddle as long as you weren't going to make a day of it. I have always preferred self bailing inflatables since it seems we spend a lot of time in the rain. I am also considering a plastic single kayak but haven't decided yet. I have a Necky sea kayak in Anchorage, but the problem is the boat is in La Conner.

I've got a couple of Perception Prodigy 10s on my pilot house. Maybe the most used boating accessory we own. We've beaten the heck out of them for at least 5 years. Throw them (literally) in the water to launch. Dragged on rocks and oyster beds. I can stand in one. My kids use to have log rolling contests with one standing on each end. Still look good and not faded. Give them a squirt of 303 every once in a while.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom