anyone use engine water for heat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you run a generator most of the time it is best not to take a risk with an extra hose in the cooling sysytem.

You gotta be kidding!!

The number of hoses on the propulsion engine , air cond , water maker, hydronic heat and HW system are no problem?

But one extra hose on a device that is factory built with an over temp shut down is a risk to the vessel?

To stop problems most folks would do far better installing mechanical gauges and an auto shut down system on the propulsion engine(s).

HW from the noisemaker is called CO GENERATION, a great talking point when those greenies get going with their co2 HOAX talk.
greenhouse pollutants are a serious issue. I wish that were not true. The brownies will change their tune and wish they had been greener when the gulf stream stops. greenhouse gases are like some poisons, They appear to have no effect until you reach the proper concentration then you die. I for one am willing to make scarafice to insure we never reach that level.

Actually I'm looking forward to palm trees in New Jersey ... that way I'll use less fuel/ more CO2 because I won't have to travel 2000 miles round trip every winter...it should all cancel each other out sooner or later....:D

Actually I'm looking forward to palm trees in New Jersey ... that way I'll use less fuel/ more CO2 because I won't have to travel 2000 miles round trip every winter...it should all cancel each other out sooner or later....:D

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].....chuckle.....:rofl::D.....But if the gulf stream stop's like it has done before New Jersey would be frozen over. We wish there would be palm trees. Where I live would be under 30 to 100 feet of water.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]There has been lots of modeling done to ascertain the most likely dominant weather pattern that would prevail under those conditions but i don't subscribe to any of them. I tend to look at what happened in our past under similar conditions and apply that to the future. Kind of like touching a hot stove and getting burnt, next time you learn to expect the hot stove to burn so act accordingly. However, we don't do that as a species we simply say, ah hog wash, it don't matter cause the big heads will find a solution before it happens. Terra forming earth to return it to the way it was before we trashed it?........we wish....[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Kinda like the chlorofluorocarbons we use for refrigerant. When i went to work for the epa we were using them as a cleaner in the lab. If you know what a catalyst is you know that it is a compound that is not consumed by a chemical reaction but without which the reaction cannot take place. Water is the catalyst we are most familiar with. Well the cfc's when released into the air they become the catalyst allowing a photochemical reaction to take place which the experts say is destroying our ionosphere. And, they keep working because remember, they are a catalyst so they are not harmed in the reaction they just keep the process going. That was the reason for the western world's ban on cfc use as a refrigerant.[/FONT]

.............Simple green is used in restaurants and many other places food or human consumables are near and perfectly safe when rinse properly. .....

Any product that is safe to use on food preparation surfaces and tools will be labelled as such. I just read the label of a bottle of Simple Green and there is no such label. There are warnings not to get it in your eyes and to see a physician if you swallow it.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Kinda like the chlorofluorocarbons we use for refrigerant

The "new" refrigerants seem to require 10% to 20% MORE energy for the same cooling.

Anyone keeping track of the billions of ergs required to use the new stuff.

A more efficient refrigerant than the old F12 exists.

A mix of propane and butane does a better job , but irs flamable .

The Brits tried to make home fridges with more efficiency , but the poor quality of British workmanship caused far too many house fires.
[/FONT]

greenhouse pollutants are a serious issue. I wish that were not true. The brownies will change their tune and wish they had been greener when the gulf stream stops. greenhouse gases are like some poisons, They appear to have no effect until you reach the proper concentration then you die. I for one am willing to make scarafice to insure we never reach that level.

so, then I take it by your stance on the environment you are chucking your power boat and switching to a sail boat correct?
HOLLYWOOD

Any product that is safe to use on food preparation surfaces and tools will be labelled as such. I just read the label of a bottle of Simple Green and there is no such label. There are warnings not to get it in your eyes and to see a physician if you swallow it.

From Simplegreen.com
Appliances: Ovens
Follow label instructions and safety information.

To clean with Original or Lemon Scent Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner:

Wet the Surface
This helps the Simple Green to penetrate soils and makes it easier to wipe clean
Apply Full Strength Simple Green and Scrub
Allow the product to soak for a minute or so to emulsify oil and dirt. Scrubbing or other agitation with a non abrasive scrubbing pad or soft nylon brush ensures a thoroughly clean surface and complete soil removal
Damp Wipe With Clean Water
Rinsing ensures a residue free finish.

Please see the note I editted to RED. I know many restaurants the use this cleaning their hoods, stainless counters, etc. Again, I am saying that when rinsed thoroughly, it works well and is safe. I'm not advocating anyone leaving a teaspoon in there tank or drinking a 6 oz glass of the stuff. It will clean the inside surfaces of the tank and if rinse properly, rid the tank of the glycol.

I think i started this. The fact is I like simple green. It is a great product, What the label should say is to immediately wash it off your skin if you accidently get it on your hands. It also should warn against mixing it with other cleaners.
I wish i could say more

I think Simple Green falls in the same category as the "pink stuff" RV "non-toxic" anti-freeze or Sierra "non toxic" engine anti-freeze. While it may not be as harmful as other products, I don't think it's smart to treat it as something that can't really hurt you no matter what.

One reason we stopped "winterizing" our boat's fresh water system many years ago was that we figured that regardless of what the common belief might be, having traces of the "pink stuff" in our drinking water was not something we wanted to have. I think these "non-toxic" products are non-toxic only in that they won't send you to the emergency room right away.:)

I add some plain vinegar (the world's "wonder" liquid) to my water tanks, especially if expecting their water to "sit" a while.

Mark, what does the air compressor do. Ok, it compresses air, but what is the compressed air used for?

Probably to blow a horn?

WE use both , an electric toy as a backup or ICW bridge or passing tooter

and the real marine AIR horn in fog.

The Air horn is also used departing a slip or marina .

The Air horn is also used departing a slip or marina .

Why, yesterday just after the Coot returned to the marina, a person passing by my berth said he wished he had a horn like mine. He said he expected to see a ship after hearing the prolonged blast. That's happened several times before.

img_133898_0_835409b49bc973e7644e66a01556683c.jpg

Mark - what type of horn do you have on the Coot? Our AFI dual trumpet electric needs to be replaced, so we are researching options. We have a Khalenberg air whistle system, but I'm not sure the compressor and tank would be enough to add dual horns to that loop.

If you run a generator most of the time it is best not to take a risk with an extra hose in the cooling sysytem.

You gotta be kidding!!

The number of hoses on the propulsion engine , air cond , water maker, hydronic heat and HW system are no problem?

But one extra hose on a device that is factory built with an over temp shut down is a risk to the vessel?

To stop problems most folks would do far better installing mechanical gauges and an auto shut down system on the propulsion engine(s).

HW from the noisemaker is called CO GENERATION, a great talking point when those greenies get going with their co2 HOAX talk.

Fred, I have not seen an over temperature shut down on a main engine, yes on almost all generators but not mains. I have always been told it was a safety issue. The surveyors concern was not air conditioning, water maker, or other auxillary systems but a very expensive main that could overheat.

Mark - what type of horn do you have on the Coot? Our AFI dual trumpet electric needs to be replaced, so we are researching options. We have a Khalenberg air whistle system, but I'm not sure the compressor and tank would be enough to add dual horns to that loop.

The Coot has the Kahlenberg D-1 dual air horns, KA500 compressor and tank, and the M-511C signal controller. I don't recall the model of manual/electric air valve.

I'm sure Kahlenberg can advise you on what is sufficient.

I think Simple Green falls in the same category as the "pink stuff" RV "non-toxic" anti-freeze or Sierra "non toxic" engine anti-freeze. While it may not be as harmful as other products, I don't think it's smart to treat it as something that can't really hurt you no matter what.

:)

As a matter of fact in my opinion you are exactly right, and thats all i was trying to warn people of

Fred, I have not seen an over temperature shut down on a main engine, yes on almost all generators but not mains. I have always been told it was a safety issue. The surveyors concern was not air conditioning, water maker, or other auxillary systems but a very expensive main that could overheat.

I agree with valves on heater systems plumbed to main engines. Most of the pics posted on this forum show heaters adjacent to the engines where the plumbing gets inspected routinely. In many cases the heaters are remotely mounted where they may not receive routine scrutiny. Especially by paid help.

I don't recall who makes them but there are water heaters built that have aluminum nipples for the engine heat side. I have found at least six of these plumbed to raw water cooled gas engines. One of these units failed when I tugged lightly on its hose to see around it. In another instance I found one leaking into an aft cabin area unbeknownst to its owner.

There are more atypical boat owners on Trawler Forum than you typically find in this business on a day to day basis. When you work with most folks who aren't up to speed and see their remotely mounted water heater (not in the engine room) is connected to there $40,000 main propulsion diesel and they never leave the dock without their generator running what would you suggest... Oh yeah, the engine heater circuit line is plumbed with reinforced clear plastic hose rated for a maximum working temperature of 130 degrees F!

I have not seen an over temperature shut down on a main engine, yes on almost all generators but not mains. I have always been told it was a safety issue. ............

There could be situations where it's better to overheat the engine than to lose power unexpectedly.

Obviously, you're going to have to find and correct the problem pretty quickly, but the few minutes you have may be the difference between anchoring safely and drifting onto the rocks.

There could be situations where it's better to overheat the engine than to lose power unexpectedly.

Obviously, you're going to have to find and correct the problem pretty quickly, but the few minutes you have may be the difference between anchoring safely and drifting onto the rocks.

I'm not familiar with any of the new inboard boat engines but all the trucks i have owned since 97 have been Fords and all of them have had fail safe cooling systems. When there is an over heat condition the computer cuts engine power back but keeps it running so you can make it to a garage. Has that system or one like it made it into the marine world yet?
Would be more important to have this feature on a boat than a car

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom