Epirbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drmnj

What do you guys recommend asthe best offshore EPIRB?

I also have an ACR. Check out BOE Marine for pricing. That's where I bought mine.

ACR just announced a nice rebate program that I think went into effect today. I also have inside info that there will be very good prices on ACR products at a certain booth at the Miami International Boat Show.

What do you guys recommend asthe best offshore EPIRB?
Bearing in mind that most have never deployed theirs - I know I haven't - this is a tricky question to answer, as it is a bit like asking someone what make of seat-belt would they recommend in their car.
I think this is one issue where you could probably accept that any EPIRB certified by your country's maritime authority would be fine. Then you decide if you want to pay for one with GPS included or not, the latter being cheaper, but a bit less accurate and slower in identifying position.

Buy one that is certified/approved by your marine authority and buy one with GPS functionality. The extra $50 for GPS might save your life. Test it as specified and buy one with a long battery life, and preferably one that has a no-charge battery replacement warranty. And hope you throw it away (correctly) at the end of its life.

And Peter, why don't you have your radio on when you are cruising in the northern bay? WM, Charlie Chan.

ACR Seemed expensive when I had battery replaced but maybe they all are?

... preferably one that has a no-charge battery replacement warranty...
ACR Seemed expensive when I had battery replaced but maybe they all are?

Wm: Is there an Epirb manufacturer out there who has a no-charge replacement battery? Our Epirb is coming up for a new battery and we have had the same experience as Brooksie. The 2 Epirbs we have owned, ACR and Mcmurdo, battery replacement has been about a 1/3 of the cost new.

... preferably one that has a no-charge battery replacement warranty...
Wm: Is there an Epirb manufacturer out there who has a no-charge replacement battery? Our Epirb is coming up for a new battery and we have had the same experience as Brooksie. The 2 Epirbs we have owned, ACR and Mcmurdo, battery replacement has been about a 1/3 of the cost new.
GME,an Australian brand of marine electronics, radios,GPS,and EPIRBS, has introduced one free battery replacement on 2 popular EPIRB models; you can expect total (6+6) 12 years battery life. My experience of GME product and back up is positive. Pricing is similar to competitors.
Good for Aussies, not much help to USA residents.

ACR just announced a nice rebate program that I think went into effect today. I also have inside info that there will be very good prices on ACR products at a certain booth at the Miami International Boat Show.

Correct me if I am wrong.... But I have an older ACR Epirb...about 7 years old, needs a new battery, has to be sent in, battery is considered hazmat, so extra shipping costs are entailed, both directions and the battery is very expensive....

But now there are EPIRBS that have non-hazmat batteries, that the user can change, and they are less expensive...both the device and the battery?? Yes?

But now there are EPIRBS that have non-hazmat batteries, that the user can change, and they are less expensive

We purchased the Kannad EPIRB partly because the battery was user replaceable and somewhat inexpensive compared to others. Defender has a new battery for around $160. Not cheap, but less than some of the competitors. According to Defender, the battery is non hazardous.

Kannad Marine Safelink Battery

Keep an eye on the used boat items ie E-bay and Craigslist. I have bought two ACR Epirbs in newish condition for around $300 each time with good battery life remaining. The first sold with the boat hence the need for the second one.

The EPIRBS are worth most owners time to remove them and sell them seperately when listing their boats for sale.

Now that the price has come down on them it may not be such a big deal but mine have always tested out at 100% on monthly checks.

ACR is now making EPIRBS with non-HazMat batteries.
I'm not sure if they are consumer changable. I'll check on that at the boat show this weekend.

Keep an eye on the used boat items ie E-bay and Craigslist. I have bought two ACR Epirbs in newish condition for around $300 each time with good battery life remaining.
The EPIRBS are worth most owners time to remove them and sell them seperately when listing their boats for sale.
EPIRBs in Australia are registered to a specific boat with AMSA (Aust. Marine Safety Authority), which collects boat, personal, and emergency contact detail at registration. If an EPIRB fires,they`ll know what boat,who it is, etc.
If you acquire a second hand one,it needs to be dissociated from the original boat and registered to yours.
The old idea the EPIRB died with it`s battery made no sense, obviously they outlive their battery, but when my battery dies I`ll probably progress to a new one with a true GPS sender.

Bruce
All EPIRBS are registered or should be not just in OZ. But to register a used EPIRB is a very simple process. Here in the U.S NOAA just checks with the previous owner that they did in fact sell their EPIRB and that it wasn't stolen, then when they have confirmation of that they simply remove their data and add yours.

And Peter, why don't you have your radio on when you are cruising in the northern bay? WM, Charlie Chan.

Ah, not sure what you mean there WM. Be good to know who you are first, and what makes you so sure we don't..? Usually I do, but sometimes I get sick of some of the chatter and turn it off, especially when coming in and anchoring. We certainly let the relevant VMR stations know where we are and our plans.
Are you here in Moreton Bay...?
I seem to remember the boat name from somewhere, but can't place it.
How about filling in your profile and putting up a pic or two? We downunderers like new local members on the board, but at the moment you are a bit anonymous, so hard to interact.

Waydaminute, that you Wayne Murphy, of the Clipper 40 Charlie Chan, I believe? - it came to me just after I pressed the Post button. How's things..?
Yes, put up some pics of that pretty 40 footer. My Lotus's big brother, no less.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom