Age Before Swallowing the Anchor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting perspectives. I am a second generation boater. Dad sold his last boat at 85,mostly because had Alzhtimers. He dies at 93,she at 95. I am now 70, have had a boat of some kind since I was 10. Most of my boating has been offshore sportfishing,Tuna, Sharks,Swordfishing etc. Sold the last sportfisherman,three years ago and bought this 29 Parie. Miss off those offshore trips, but just can't cut it anymore.

Now my wife has Altzhimers and we going down hill fast. I am still very active and work part time running a tour boat. Had my Masters ticket for 35 years. I don't feel old till I get in the engine room. :) As long as i can get on board I intend to keep my boat. Still do day trips with the wife, occassional overnight. I am able to single hand the boat without any real problems. Between the joy of ownership and the pleasure of being around boats and working on em, can't stop now. I am scared to sit down,might not get back up. :D

When Mother hit her mid 80's,she had a frequent comment about her aches and pains. " Old age aint' for sissies". She was a wise women.

John

Puffin wrote:

"You know the saying... first a sailboat, then trawler, then motor home, then rest home."

Never heard that one before. Good one!

John

A couple of years ago, we bought Dear Prudence from her original owners. In 16 years, they had put only about 800 hours on the boat. They loved it, and it showed.

They reluctantly decided to sell because of advancing age. He was 85. He said, "The only reason we're selling is that I've had too many birthdays."

They were originally disappointed when we changed the name of their boat. I think that was slightly resolved when I gave him his original teak quaterboards, still marked with the previous name. Someting to hang in the den or family room, I would suppose. :)

;-) don't drink to much. Don't want ya blood pressure to go up! Haha :-D

Up to this point, I've never been sick a day in my life. No meds either. Suppose some day I will just self-destruct and end up in a heap of dust. Good Irish whiskey, however, is part of my daily regiment. My wife says that I must have a physical this year to celebrate my 70th birthday. Been 5 years since the last one.

Or you could possibly get the yard to do that hard yakka Ben. I would never have the clean down and anti foul on myself.
Good to see you are keeping in Touch from the land of the long white cloud. Getting a wee bit excited re the up-coming Americas Cup yet?

Yep, America's Cup is starting to look damned interesting. Emirates Team NZ is about to launch their second AC72 this week. Extraordinary watching their first boat foiling at 40kn in 20kn of wind!
Luna Rossa is still out there testing their AC72 (single boat campaign)and going fast!

Yes Pete, I could get the yard to do the hard work and next time I'll have to get them to spray the antifoul as new rules will dictate "Certified Applicator" only. Hell, us non-certified amateurs may not even be able to purchase antifoul paint the way it's heading.

I like to do at least the prep myself so I know it's done right - but I'm getting over it!

It's great to have the boat back in the water, going a bit faster and knowing I won't have to haul for another 30 months.

Oxygen is like sex. It's not important until you're not getting any...

Oxygen is like sex. It's not important until you're not getting any...

I've always found enough oxygen and made/make damn sure I also found/find enough sex! :socool: :D

Back
Top Bottom