Prop shaft packing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

waterfront

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Waterfront
Vessel Make
Chein Hwa Present Sundeck 35
I searched through the messages about packing and found nothing that helps with
my question. I have a 1984 Present Sundeck Trawler,CHB, equiped with Perkins
135hp 6-354 diesel. The prop-shaft is 1.5 inches in diameter. The packing nut
measures 2.5 inches inside diameter. This means a difference of 1 inch, which
equates to .5 or 1/2 inch clearance for packing. My problem is that I can only
get 2(two) rings of packing into the nut. I can tighten the nut to slow
waterflow to drips per minute, but have to readjust everytime I run for 3 to 4
hours. I can be the only one that has this problem but I doubt it. Solutions
anyone ???
Thanks in advance​

A couple of things. First, you may have to remove ALL the packing and repack from scratch. This is possible to do in the water by sealing the shaft entry from the outside with clay or something, or just watch the water gush in until you get the new packing in. Or you can haul the boat and do it.

Second, you may have a pitted or scored shaft that is eating up the packing. Pulling it is the only way you'll discover this for sure.

When you re-pack, I would highly recommend Gore's GFO packing. I had a new shaft installed in my boat in 2002 and used this stuff. I've only had to do two slight tightenings since.

GORE® GFO® Packing

GFO Packing

Thank's Keith I'll look for that stuff when I take out my PSS.

Thank's Keith I'll look for that stuff when I take out my PSS.
I had Lotus done the same way when she needed a new prop shaft boot - which became a whole prop shaft and muffler replacement about 5-6 yrs ago. However, in a way it was worth it for the peace of mind and it is almost dripless still, with just one quarter turn tighten each side in that whole time.

Now, I'm not positive...but I believe when I repacked both of my stuffing boxes I used 3/8's inch packing. And if I remember correctly, I got three rings on the shaft and inside the nut. I have Perkins 6.354's with 1.5" shafts also...

When you cleaned out....now this is a stupid question...the old packing did you make absolutely sure you got all of the old stuff out? I pulled 3 rings out of mine...and the last one was a booger getting it out....the stuffing had been compressed so hard that it was literally a hard solid...ended up breaking the end off a stuffing removal tool.

With the new packing in...I get a few drops per minute when the shafts are turning, and they stop dripping within an hour or so after stopping...

I was positive that I got all the old packing out, but maybe not. I did use the GFO packing material in the 1/2 in size. I will buy more in the 3/8 size and try again. Thanks to all who answered.

Remember to make the cuts at an angle, and stagger them at different spots on the shaft when repacking.

Remove the adjusting cap and use the back of a drill bit to see what size packing the unit was built to hold.

You cant just guess.

Remember to make the cuts at an angle, and stagger them at different spots on the shaft when repacking.

The "angle cut method" can be a problem it sounds good, but doesn't work well and straight cuts are better.

Try this: Take a strip of paper 1/2" wide, wrap it around a rod 3 times like most instructions all tell you to do, cut it at and angle. Now take the pieces and try them on the rod. They are all too big aren't they.

Try it a second time and cut parallel to the rod (shaft). They are still too big.

Try a third time and cut perpendicular to the wraps. This is the only way it works.

Stagger, yes.

I never had a problem doing it.

:whistling:After trying the 3/8 packing which was too small,and would not seal, I went back to 1/2 inch GFO packing. I can still only get two rings in the stuffing box but it seems to be working just fine. I get a few drops per minute when running, but then it stops shortly after I shut down.:D

Back
Top Bottom