View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #26
Mappy
Veteran Member

One of the big differences in the 40 and 30 at the time I made my decision was the 40 has a separate exhaust and combustion air pipes. The 30 is a combined co-axial pipe with the exhaust going out in the inner pipe with the combustion air flowing in around it via the larger outer pipe.

This co-axial setup means that the exhaust pipe is cooled significantly by the combustion air coming in around it. This lowers the danger of a hot pipe in the engine room and eliminates having a hot exhaust port through the hull or cabin wall. I can comfortably touch the exhaust outlet where it exits the cabin wall with the furnace on max.

The maximum length for the exhaust and combustion air pipes are quite a bit longer for the 40 than the 30. So the 40 does offer more options for mounting the furnace.

As far as heating capacity is concerned, I have been working on the inside of my boat for the past 10 days so the furnace has been on full time. I had to turn the thermostat down to about 2.5 on the dial after one day since it was just too warm in there. This is Jan/Feb in Victoria so the same weather you get. Unless you are going to run a heat pipe up to an enclosed upper helm the 30 will be plenty of heat.

Roger