View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #9
Codger2
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
About 8 years ago, a friend who had a brand new Nordhavn 57 invited my wife and I for a cruise out of April Point, B.C. We accepted, of course, but I was concerned as to how much experience my friend had in those waters and with the new boat.

After anchoring for a night, I arose first and decided to have a look in the ER. What greeted me was the sight of oil in the drip pan and overflowing to the bilge. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the transmission fill plug had come loose and was laying in the drip pan. (Poor design on the plug...no threads, just a squeeze fit like and old thermos bottle.)

When the owner came below, he said that he had cases of ATF and we could refill and secure the plug in short order. Since I had a boat whos transmissions used regular 30wt. engine oil, I questioned his statement and a minor pissing contest ensued. It was decided that we would review the Twin Disc owners manual and check for the recommended oil. Of course I was right () as the booked called for SAE 30wt. He was embarrassed & said very little for the next 24 hours.

With the transitioning of the Seymour Narrows scheduled for the following day, I was, to say the least, concerned!

That, however, is another story.