View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #24
boatpoker
Guru

City: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
You're right, I read it wrong. Still, the vast majority of these boats don't have radar reflectors. and the Coast Guard Auxilliary has never mentioned it. I don't believe it's on their printed checklist.

So what now? Everyone on the river gets a citation? The guy pulling his kids in a runabout? The guy in the 18' CC fishing near the bridge? The bunch partying at the sandbar?
There are exceptions, you'd have to read the whole thing but essentially if you are in an area where radar is commonly used, underway between dusk or dawn or in "unfavourable environmental conditions" near traffic patterns .... should should have one.

I've done a number of tests over the years and have found as other posts suggested that some boats due to shape, material or sea conditions can disappear from my 5kw radar for long periods of time. I once nearly ran over a 30' Police RIB in heavy fog. He was not sounding the appropriate signal and did not have a reflector. Too bad I didn,t hit him, I could have retired on the proceeds.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote