Ford Osco-Bowman 130

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
According to an ad in a 1941 Popular Mechanics the Osco company in Philadelphia was a maker of marinization components for Ford engines. Heat exchangers, manifolds, etc.. So it seems they were in the marinization business long before Lehman in New Jersey came along.

There is a company in New Jersey today called Osco Manifolds. They have been making marine exhaust manifolds since 1932 and they are still in business today. So perhaps these two "Oscos" are the same company.

Bowman is a British (Birmingham, West Midlands) manufacturer of heat exchangers for marine use among other things, including components for Ford of England diesels. The company started in this business in 1919 and they are still at it today. They make a line of marine products called "Orca."

I have no idea what the relationship might have been between Osco and Bowman. Perhaps they teamed up to marinize Ford diesels to compete with Lehman and the other marinization companies.

Or the engine you are referring to is a Ford Lehman but has been repaired using an Osco manifold and a Bowman heat exchanger. The Lehman Econo-Power manifold for the FL120 has not been available new for years. So the only way to replace one is to get it off another Lehman or use an aftermarket manifold if there is such a thing.

Last edited:
According to an ad in a 1941 Popular Mechanics the Osco company in Philadelphia was a maker of marinization components for Ford engines. Heat exchangers, manifolds, etc.. So it seems they were in the marinization business long before Lehman in New Jersey came along.

There is a company in New Jersey today called Osco Manifolds. They have been making marine exhaust manifolds since 1932 and they are still in business today. So perhaps these two "Oscos" are the same company.

Bowman is a British (Birmingham, West Midlands) manufacturer of heat exchangers for marine use among other things, including components for Ford of England diesels. The company started in this business in 1919 and they are still at it today. They make a line of marine products called "Orca."

I have no idea what the relationship might have been between Osco and Bowman. Perhaps they teamed up to marinize Ford diesels to compete with Lehman and the other marinization companies.

Or the engine you are referring to is a Ford Lehman but has been repaired using an Osco manifold and a Bowman heat exchanger. The Lehman Econo-Power manifold for the FL120 has not been available new for years. So the only way to replace one is to get it off another Lehman or use an aftermarket manifold if there is such a thing.

Nice:socool:

and now this whole meaning of life thing?

thanks Marin. The survey report lists the engine as a Ford OPsco-bowman 130 and i am trying to see if there is such a thing. Is there a lehman 130?

There is a Lehman 135. An improved version of the 120 ie: better water pump, bigger cooling lines, engine lubricated injector pump.

Is there a lehman 130?

No. Awhile back I wrote a post calling out all the Lehman marinizations of the Ford Dorset and Dover engines including the Ford of England model numbers and the Lehman model numbers. If you can find that post that will tell you all the models of these two engines that were made.

There is a turbocharged version of the Ford Dorset (120 hp) diesel that develops 150 hp. Lehman apparently marinzed this variant, too, although I have never personally heard of a boat that has one. But it's covered in our Lehman FL120 operator's manual, as is the 80hp four-cylinder version of the Dorset engine.

As Daddyo mentioned, Ford of England later created an improved six cylinder diesel patterned after the Dorset. This newer engine they called the Dover. Lehman marinized this engine, too, after it came out, and this is the Ford Lehman 135. The basic FL135 is a NA diesel. No tubocharger. Most of them do have a spiffy chromed rocker box cover, however.:)

The FL135 was quite popular among diesel cruiser manufacturers in the 80s and perhaps even the early 90s. For example it was the standard power in some Krogen and Grand Banks models. There were turbocharged and turbocharged/aftercooled versions of this engine, too. I don't know when Ford took the Dover engine out of production.

The Lehman model designations all started with "SP" for "Super Power." So the correct Lehman designation for their marinized version of the NA Ford Dover engine is SP135.

But I have never seen any reference to a Ford Dorset (120hp) engine being 130hp. A lot of companies marinized this engine. Lehman is just the best known these days. So it may be that some other company marinized the Dorset and somehow managed to get--- or claim they got--- 130 hp out of it. Maybe they have a lower-restriction exhaust manifold on it, I don't know.

Or--- and this is probably the most likely--- the selling owner or the broker for the boat you're interested in simply has the horsepower rating wrong.

Last edited:
The 135 isn't a turbo, and actually, Bob Smith liked the 120 better. I like the 135 since I have one, and it doesn't have that Simms injector pump that requires oil every 5o hours. That would be every two days while full time cruising. No thanks.

No. Awhile back I wrote a post calling out all the Lehman marinizations of the Ford Dorset and Dover engines including the Ford of England model numbers and the Lehman model numbers. If you can find that post that will tell you all the models of these two engines that were made.

There is a turbocharged version of the Ford Dorset (120 hp) diesel that develops 150 hp. Lehman apparently marinzed this variant, too, although I have never personally heard of a boat that has one. But it's covered in our Lehman FL120 operator's manual, as is the 80hp four-cylinder version of the Dorset engine.

As Daddyo mentioned, Ford of England later created an improved six cylinder diesel patterned after the Dorset. This newer engine they called the Dover. Lehman marinized this engine, too, after it came out, and this is the Ford Lehman 135. The basic FL135 is a NA diesel. No tubocharger. Most of them do have a spiffy chromed rocker box cover, however.:)

The FL135 was quite popular among diesel cruiser manufacturers in the 80s and perhaps even the early 90s. For example it was the standard power in some Krogen and Grand Banks models. There were turbocharged and turbocharged/aftercooled versions of this engine, too. I don't know when Ford took the Dover engine out of production.

The Lehman model designations all started with "SP" for "Super Power." So the correct Lehman designation for their marinized version of the NA Ford Dover engine is SP135.

But I have never seen any reference to a Ford Dorset (120hp) engine being 130hp. A lot of companies marinized this engine. Lehman is just the best known these days. So it may be that some other company marinized the Dorset and somehow managed to get--- or claim they got--- 130 hp out of it. Maybe they have a lower-restriction exhaust manifold on it, I don't know.

Or--- and this is probably the most likely--- the selling owner or the broker for the boat you're interested in simply has the horsepower rating wrong.

Yes thank you i have that information and also info i have dug up and others but nothing on a 130. However, I find references to a 130 on the net and the last survey report also lists the engine as a 130 and the serial number. I have tried to find a list of the serial numbers for both of the lehman ser9ies engines but have not been successful in finding them. This engines # 09853/171
And again i wish to thank everyone for their help

Yes thank you i have that information and also info i have dug up and others but nothing on a 130. However, I find references to a 130 on the net and the last survey report also lists the engine as a 130 and the serial number. I have tried to find a list of the serial numbers for both of the lehman ser9ies engines but have not been successful in finding them. This engines # 09853/171
And again i wish to thank everyone for their help

Probably a simple call to Bomac Marine 954-766-2625 or American Diesel (don't have their #) would answer all of your questions.

Edit: Just realized I was in an old thread. That's what happens when you don't pay attention.

Last edited:
Probably a simple call to Bomac Marine 954-766-2625 or American Diesel (don't have their #) would answer all of your questions.

Edit: Just realized I was in an old thread. That's what happens when you don't pay attention.

chuckle....hey, i do this all the time myself. Thanks for the help anyway. I did call bomac back then.

Back
Top Bottom