Stabilizers for Ancho & adrift

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drmnj

Does anyone have experience or knowledge of Ocean Torque Static Boat Stabilizers for at anchor and adrift? They are made in Australia. Or maybe you can recommend some good at anchor or adrift stabilizers for a 45' NW Trawler?
Thanks

Out of all the commercial static flopper stopper systems available here in Aus they are the most popular.
Easy to assemble and very effective in opperation.
I have a few friends that have them and all are happy.
My neighbour wuth a Nordy 50 (active fin stabilisers) has them for use at anchor.
I made my own , initially using drouge type bags but then to rubber flapper type , (similar to Ocean Torque) one of the good thinks about this system is that they are quiet in opperation.
Others us s/s flaps that can generate a bit of active noise.
One other thing is to use dyneama rope as opposed to chains or wire to reduce the noise factor.

Boat Stabilizers - Ocean Torque Boat Stabilizers Stop The Roll

Cheers
Benn

If you are going to spend tbe time and money might want to install a heavy duty fish stabilizers, which can be used underway and at anchor or a drift. A cheaper way is to hang plastic cone shape roll stoppers.

The thing is Phill/Fill is that the fish don't work all that well when stationary so still need a couple of drogues or BBQ plates or flapper plates to use when at rest.
The over head gear for paravanes is quite a bit more expensive than that required for standard flopper stoppers.
It just depends what you require and the time spent steaming or at anchor
Benn

I have used similar flopper stoppers to the forespar in the Channel Islands where the rolling in anchorages can get serious. They work very well but they will only worked if they are poled out far enough off the sides. Just hanging them off the boat does little. Chuck

Out of all the commercial static flopper stopper systems available here in Aus they are the most popular.
Easy to assemble and very effective in opperation.
I have a few friends that have them and all are happy.
My neighbour wuth a Nordy 50 (active fin stabilisers) has them for use at anchor.
I made my own , initially using drouge type bags but then to rubber flapper type , (similar to Ocean Torque) one of the good thinks about this system is that they are quiet in opperation.
Others us s/s flaps that can generate a bit of active noise.
One other thing is to use dyneama rope as opposed to chains or wire to reduce the noise factor.

Boat Stabilizers - Ocean Torque Boat Stabilizers Stop The Roll

Cheers
Benn
Thanks Benn, that's a great reference.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom