Gasoline disposal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My friends and I take our old gas, and two or three trailer loads of christmas trees out to a local off road park every year for a New Years Eve bonfire. The sheriff on duty always enjoys the fire with us.

I suppose we qualify as rednecks :)

I concur!!!! Rednecks just get **** done!!! If Texas ever seceded, it would be a success due to rednecks!!!

And here's where us gasser guys come out ahead again!. My carbed 350 Volvo/Chevy swallows up anything we give her, including old gas with 2 stroke oil.

Folks put 2 stroke oil in their diesel tanks for better lubricity...

I started having issues with my 50 hp Yamaha on my center console as soon as they started putting ethanol in the gas. I had the engine serviced and removed all the gas. Since then every year I drain the gas and let it stand in a closed bucket for about a week. There is always some moisture and some white gritty stuff that falls to the bottom. I carefully drain off the gas and leave a small amount of contaminated fuel in the bottom of the bucket. This is easily disposed of in a bon fire or if your patient it will evaporate. I pour the separated fuel back in the boat and top off with fresh fuel.

I started having issues with my 50 hp Yamaha on my center console as soon as they started putting ethanol in the gas. I had the engine serviced and removed all the gas. Since then every year I drain the gas and let it stand in a closed bucket for about a week. There is always some moisture and some white gritty stuff that falls to the bottom. I carefully drain off the gas and leave a small amount of contaminated fuel in the bottom of the bucket. This is easily disposed of in a bon fire or if your patient it will evaporate. I pour the separated fuel back in the boat and top off with fresh fuel.

is that mixed fuel or just gas? If gas why don't you just burn it in a car? Thats what i always do with old boat gas.

Gas evaporates from most any open pail.

What "disposal"?

Gas evaporates from most any open pail.

What "disposal"?
Do that in the wrong location and Kaboom!!!
At four bucks a gallon just give it to someone to use in their car if you don't wish to use it in one of yours or take it to a recycle center.

Isn't that where it came from? :hide:
nope, came out of a cracking tower and before that it was black goo deep down inside the earth. If it went back into the earth like so much oil dose in the form of fertilyzer that would work but gasoline won't it will get into the air and that isnt good.
I don't buy conventional produced foods because of this. I would rather save fuel to use in my toys. We have no good substitute for fuel oil but we have lots of natural sources of fertilyzers so we shouldn't be useing it to grow food. Don't you think?

Given what the active volcanos on the planet put into the air I don't worry about what dumping a few gallons of old gas on the weeds is going to do.

We were read the story of Chicken Little way back in grade school and I've had no use for the little feathered bastard since.

I think almost any lawn care company would be glad to take it off your hands.

I have a buddy who has a small engine repair shop who takes up to 5 gal. and finds ?? to do with it.Check a local near you.

Given what the active volcanos on the planet put into the air I don't worry about what dumping a few gallons of old gas on the weeds is going to do.

We were read the story of Chicken Little way back in grade school and I've had no use for the little feathered bastard since.

There are seven billion humans and more each day all making polllution, there are only a few volcanos.
Don't you think its time we started to take care of the only home we have, Earth?

You bet! Let's kill off about a billion of those nasty humans.

Following that logic, it's perfectly OK for me to just dump my used motor oil and antifreeze in the river when I change them instead of hauling them to the disposal site, right? :rolleyes:

Frankly, I suspect these are just some macho BS postings. No educated , responsible adult would actually do these things. :nonono:

Don't you think its time we started to take care of the only home we have, Earth?

No. We are not going to do squat to "take care" of Earth because we can't. What will and is happening is that Earth, aka Nature, will "take care" of us. One way or the other. Nature always solves its problems and it's been doing so since the moment Earth was created. No reason to think it's gonna stop now. If the solution this time around is the elimination of man from the planet, that's what will happen. To think that man can put even a dent in the outcome is naive indeed.

You bet! Let's kill off about a billion of those nasty humans.

Wouldn't it be nice if the rest of our countries would follow China's example in controlling population? If they hadn't of done so there resourses would have been eaten up by hungry mouths and they wouldn't be in the position they are today. Maybe they are the smart ones and we the dummies

Last edited:
Man...wouldn't I pay a handsome price for a few well placed meteorites....:thumb:

Or even a decent volcanic fissure if possible....:D

Any enviro nut that looked at the situation ,

and wants to be part of the "solution" would chose a VW or similar DIESEL.

So there is no way to dump old gas in his own tank.

Therefore evaporative disposal.

No. We are not going to do squat to "take care" of Earth because we can't. What will and is happening is that Earth, aka Nature, will "take care" of us. One way or the other. Nature always solves its problems and it's been doing so since the moment Earth was created. No reason to think it's gonna stop now..................... To think that man can put even a dent in the outcome is naive indeed.

Seriously? Look at what "man" has done to clean up rivers in the last twenty or thirty years. Look at the improvement in the Chesapeake Bay.

"Man" was in the habit of dumping all his garbage, oil, and industrial waste onto the ground and into the rivers. Once he got smart enough to see the results of this dumping, he stopped dumping and began taking steps to clean up the environment. It's working.

Again, letting gasoline evaporate is pollution. Nothing less, it's pollution. :banghead:

Burning it in your boat or car is too.

Buy a bicycle and a sailbot without an engine if it really bothers you.

......:D.......I was tempted to post that too....

I own a 2011 vw gold TDI thank you very much as well as a 2007 international harvester powered ford Diesel truck. Old gas i use in my lawn tractor or my 2007 Ford Focus, neither seem to mind

yep got one of them too, no sail boat right now. I'f i was rich i would own every kinda toy there is but i aint?:).....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom