Why did you buy your boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonstruck

Guru
Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
I thought it would be interesting to know the various criteria involved in making boat your boat purchases. Here was mine.

My late wife (as most wives do) had a lot of input. Here were her instructions.

• Get the driving out of the kitchen
  • Get the engine room out of the living room.
  • Wide walk around side decks.
  • 2 staterooms.
  • No ladders.
  • Easy boarding.

My criteria were.

* Speed
* Range
* Had to look like a boat.
* Good sun protection.
* Good piloting and nav stations.

Moonstruck met all the criteria of both our wants. I am still happy with it.:speed boat:

Last edited:
Single, keel-protected propeller, shaft, and rudder.
360-degree visibility from pilothouse; no flybridge.
360-degree, wide decks, with high/strong railing.
Sleep two; entertain six.
Strongly built; well-equipped.
Good range; adequate tankage.

I wanted:

* Go anywhere in the world capability
* Pilothouse
* Covered cockpit
* Skiff storage on boat deck
* Twin engines or get home engine

She wanted:

* Interior comfort and room
* Faster than hull speed
* I really think she was scared of me getting a anywhere in the world capable boat, so her want was less range.
* Pilothouse
* Covered cockpit
* Twin engines or get home engine

We settled on a twin engine Pilothouse Coastal Cruiser. I'm pretty happy with that decision, but if I were making the decision myself, or were alone I'd still opt for something all world capable like the Nordhavn 46, or the Hatteras 48 LRC.

Caus' it was big and burnt and I could afford it.....
Just kidding, my gramps had a lugger, my uncle had a lugger and the stories I heard were incredeble. I hope my family enjoys it as much. My gramps was dead and a hurricane destroyed my uncles before I ever got to go on a trip. I like the redundancy of every system on the boat and the fact that it has a large walkaround covered deck.

I thought it would be interesting to know the various criteria involved in making boat your boat purchases. Here was mine.

• Get the driving out of the kitchen
  • Wide walk around side decks.
  • 2 staterooms.
  • No ladders.
  • Easy boarding.
My criteria were.

* Speed
* Range
* Had to look like a boat.
* Good sun protection.

Moonstruck met all the criteria of both our wants. I am still happy with it.:speed boat:

My wife had almost the same criteria as yours except for the two staterooms and the ladder up. The first two were the most important. Our ladder up is a stairs that is easy for the dog to climb up and descend down.

I wanted single, good access in the engine room all around, good economy and large flybridge.

The Mainship 34t meets all of that.

It was floating.

The motor ran good, The hydraulics worked perfect.

It looked cool.

The guy said I'll make you a deal.

SD

• Get the driving out of the kitchen (Love it!)
  • Wide walk around side decks. (Must have)
  • 2 staterooms. (Important to my wife & I)
  • No ladders. (Big one for me!)
  • Easy boarding.

My criteria were.

* Speed (Agreed)
* Range
* Had to look like a boat. (Downeast):smitten:
* Good sun protection.

However, my reason for buying SeaHorse II were her looks! (I'm a sucker for a pretty face.) Her "figure" is excellent (MHO) and I can fix everything else except those items Moonstruck outlined. (Which I now lust after.)

Attachments

• IMG_2105.jpg
    IMG_2105.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
First boat:
sail w/ simple rig
car toppable
--------------
Mayflower
img_133189_0_66cb6aebe90ae3239e4495cd3e5792e5.jpg

The sailboat:
Ocean crossing capable
single handable
diesel
full keel
keel hung rudder
fewest moving parts
------------------
Bristol 27
img_133189_1_51e1f8c36d5d5f406bf702de3c0eac0f.jpg

Trawler:
room for 3 in comfort
---------
Senator 35
img_133189_2_cf9cee1e4e879458e8c66ac3835d943f.jpg

Outboard/trailerable boats:
smallest cuddy available
--------------------
Arima 1511
img_133189_3_8e9acb19bc853bb9809c5b807a59c8d7.jpg

Bigger cuddy:
walk around
easily trailerable
-----------------
Seaswirl 1850
img_133189_4_e1464efa47880e21fa79defb79a4d447.jpg

Current boat:
trailerable
all the comforts of home
cheap
flybridge
------------------
40 year old houseboat
img_133189_5_1fc3b57ce03c40d5c8f87ba2f31d5ab6.jpg

Lena and I have owned 4 boats together. Each boat has had different criteria as our boating matured.

Her criteria: First boat had have a head. 2nd boat, stand up, separate shower, 3rd, able to cross oceans comfortably, and the 4th, center line master. She got tired of crawling over me.

My criteria: First boat, able to fish off of and Lena like it. 2nd boat, bigger than the first and Lena liked it. 3rd boat able to cross oceans and Lena liked it and the 4th boat, Single engine pilot house and Lena liked it. :)

Lena and I have owned 4 boats together. Each boat has had different criteria as our boating matured.

Her criteria: First boat had have a head. 2nd boat, stand up, separate shower, 3rd, able to cross oceans comfortably, and the 4th, center line master. She got tired of crawling over me.

My criteria: First boat, able to fish off of and Lena like it. 2nd boat, bigger than the first and Lena liked it. 3rd boat able to cross oceans and Lena liked it and the 4th boat, Single engine pilot house and Lena liked it. :)

1234 all bigger & better. Lena's a keeper.

SD

------------------
Bristol 27
img_133194_0_51e1f8c36d5d5f406bf702de3c0eac0f.jpg

I have a question.

So who is it you got upset that you were banished to the dink? Or was it that after setting the whisker pole in that 6 ktn breeze you were so happy that the wing and wing went on for more than five minutes you just had to have a picture.:)

Boat Criteria (our actual list while shopping is more detailed – lol):

- Seaworthy hull and superstructure design - FIBERGLASS!!!
- BIG Fly bridge with all controls and much seating
- Door-Enclosed Large Master State Room w/ storage compartments as well as full head and shower
- Door-Enclosed Large Forward V-Berth w/ storage compartments as well as full head and shower
- Roomy, comfortable salon layout w/ lower pilot station and full-galley up.
- Twin screw w/ big in salon floor hatches that open fully for easy, stand-up engine compartment access
- Ample genset
- Plaining hull with 20 + mph WOT capability, as well as a good cruise speed and an affordable gph fuel usage at hull speed
- Plenty of open deck space for outdoor fun/play-times
- Full width swim step
- Complete walk around deck with full railing and assorted hand holds

And, of course, all items in considerably good condition at the “correct” price. :dance:

Attachments

• Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
    Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 148
  • TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.jpg
    TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 123
  • TO - Both Engines and Genset - Looking Forward 100_0615.jpg
    TO - Both Engines and Genset - Looking Forward 100_0615.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Honestly we were looking for a CHB type trawler and didn't have any hard and fast criteria other than no teak decks and it had to be well maintained. We were undecided on galley up or down. We wanted twins or a single w a thruster. We walked on our boat and it just felt right. Two and a half years later we are still happy. If we had unlimited funds we'd probably have a down east style but we don't, so we don't. :). I can see having this boat "forever" unless we win the lottery and get that down easter.

BECAUSE MY WIFE WANTED IT! :facepalm: THERE IS NOTHNG ELSE TO SAY!:banghead: END OF SUBJECT! :horse:

I made up a list a few months ago when I first started seriously looking. Here it is:

Requirements:

Must fit in my 36' Slip
Diesel
Separate shower
Full galley
Easy access to engine(s)
Fuel efficient
Large stowage capacity
500+ NM cruising range

Preferred, willing to install myslef:

Generator
Large house bank
Inverter
Recent electronics *
Dinghy *
Dinghy Davits/stowage
Air Conditioning *
Autopilot *
Watermaker *

Beneficial:

1000+ NM cruising range *
2nd head
Windlass
Walkaround
Nav station/work desk
Greater than hull speed capable
Tank level monitors

Not Necessary:

Large cockpit
Audio/Video system
High speed

I got everything I wanted except the items with a *.

I got some "bonus" items that weren't on my original list, but they were in my mind as I looked at more boats: large master stateroom with full-sized, centerline berth; bypass oil filters; professionally re-wired recently; full bimini and vinyl on the flybridge (new); twin engines (mixed feelings there); no teak on exterior decks or windows.

Of course, there's a long list of things I want to fix or upgrade, but having the list really did help me focus on just those boats that would work for me.

Could have been the gin maybee the beer along with the rose colored glasses. Might have been a song ? HMMMM

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 117
Coming from a 23ft walkaround, we wanted something that was big enough that we could stay for days or weeks comfortably but not too big for the lake and systems that we travel in. We also didn't have a fridge or cooking facilities which is a great improvement. I definitely wanted a single diesel for economy, newer instrumentation and a boat that had been well maintained and upgraded. My wife just wanted a boat that was not too big for easy docking, a large berth and large aft deck for lounging. We love what we bought.

Less than 30'
beamy
Lots of wood
little fiberglass
Single engine, single controls
No flybridge
large cockpit
Hardtop for kayak stowage
cozy accommodations
salty hull
dry bilges
operable condition

Number 1: I was looking for a trawler to replace 34' sailboat.
Number 2: It was cheap, and even with cost of expected repairs was going to net out for less than I sold the sailboat for.
Number 3: It fit in my existing slip.
Number 4, 5, 6 etc:.
BECAUSE MY WIFE WANTED IT! :facepalm: THERE IS NOTHNG ELSE TO SAY!:banghead: END OF SUBJECT! :horse:

We didn't really know what we were looking for other than a mobile beach house. When we boarded Skinny Dippin' the first time, I fell in love. No matter where I sat, I was comfortable. I hollered across the dock to a couple sitting on the aft deck of a 44' Symbol, "Does this boat make my butt look big???" They said no, so I guess it was just a good fit.

Tom was happy the one I fell in love with had simple systems. 1 Engine, 1 head, 1 AC unit. I think he would have bought me the moon if it would have floated us down the ICW.

Like Pineapple Girl....unless we find a winning Lotto ticket, Skinny Dippin' really can take us just about anywhere we want to go. If we did win, (a big one), a Krogen Express is high on the list, Grand Banks Aluetian, you get the picture. We'll have Skinny Dippin' for a good while. :)

I wanted a boat with almost nothing at all working...I wanted to be able to replace just about everything with stuff from Home Depot and Walmart so I could bug the livin' crap out of some of the trawler forum posters....:rofl:

Actually the decision was to find a boat that emerging from near bankruptcy (note cheap enough to buy with limited cash) that would satisfy me as a liveaboard cruiser (had to find something quick) that would take me into my just pre-nursing home years.;)

It had to be easy to maintain, single handle, have enough room to bring along a friend :)D) and her big dog as it turns out, no kitchen in the living room and had to remain afloat for at least 24 hour intervals without intervention...:thumb:

Perla was happy to select the stone-counter's colors as well as for the cushion covers and curtains. She likes the boat because "it isn't too close to the water," that is, the Coot has high/secure railings and an enclosed pilothouse (and motorboats don't usually lean 30-45 degrees as sailboats frequently do.)

img_133260_0_40588d40e51098cb0159a5b33788fe98.jpg

Last edited:
We want to explore by water all the amazing country we've been exploring by air.

Penny wanted walk around decks, so we have walk around decks. The rest was just an accident of luck, cause we love our boat!

We ultimately wanted a comfortable small boat to explore the delta with. Started looking for something with a saltier rugged look but fell in love with wood express cruisers. Finally fell in love with an Owens that told us both "Buy me".

If and when we move up we promised ourselves about 8 to 10 more feet, for now complete bliss.

I was in love with the trawler style, after two trailer yachts, and a diesel cruiser which we had in hire, which worked well in that capacity, but had little character in my view. I also favoured a tri, or aft cabin type, for the extra and separate accommodation. My wife liked the style, but wanted the indoor - outdoor living a rear cockpit allowed. So, we kept waiting and looking, until one came up practically on our doorstep. The rest, as they say, is history, and she was right.....

Upon the expanse of open water, my Admiral experiences a bliss far beyond anything I can comprehend, but that I can sometimes manage to somewhat "live" through her. It seems that Bucky found us and agreed to support that incomprehensible bliss into our retirement in July of this year.

We had a 33' express cruiser and loved most of the stuff about the boat but didn't like being "down in the cave" all the time. We wanted
~~something bigger to spend a few months aboard during the summer
~~2 or 3 staterooms
~~2 heads

I wanted
~~diesels
~~covered flybridge
~~covered cockpit (we added that after we bought it)
~~old electronics because I wanted to upgrade them myself
~~air conditioning
~~a genset big enough to power everything on the boat with an adequate reserve power
~~no wood on the exterior of the boat
~~minimal wood inside
~~everything (except electronics) working so I didn't have to start replacing stuff

My wife wanted
~~a decent size galley with decent size refrig and freezer

~~

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom