Early spring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Northern Lights II
Vessel Make
Bayliner 3870
I usually stay on on the boat from early March thru mid-December. The forecast is for highs in the 50s this week making it feel like spring. I'am tempted to head back but I'am sure it's Mother Nature trying to fool me. Last winter & this have been the most mild in the midwest
I've seen & I spent years working outside bundled up in carhartts, I've been out today & was comfortable in a long sleeve tee.

image-4196660410.jpg

Been mild most all the time here in the PNW too. I don't think it's been below 20 in our old town of Thorne Bay Alaska either. I keep their weather on my top site page.

I usually stay on on the boat from early March thru mid-December. The forecast is for highs in the 50s this week making it feel like spring. I'am tempted to head back but I'am sure it's Mother Nature trying to fool me. Last winter & this have been the most mild in the midwest
I've seen & I spent years working outside bundled up in carhartts, I've been out today & was comfortable in a long sleeve tee.

View attachment 16380

In Sacramento January had more days below freezing than i can remember. A normal year there is a few scattered days of cold in jan feb but this year at least two weeks straight in jan was below freezing. Its been awfully dry. My guess is we will be having another pineapple soon. We had a couple in December.

We're not there yet RC but I am headed to the lake tomorrow to do some work on a friends boat.
I'm thinkin' another month before they turn on the dock water over here. That's the signal for me.

We're not there yet RC but I am headed to the lake tomorrow to do some work on a friends boat.
I'm thinkin' another month before they turn on the dock water over here. That's the signal for me.

Last year the dock water was turned on at the end of March, normally mid April. Before that I can fill the tank with hoses hooked to a spigot on shore. As dry as its been I doubt there will be much of a spring rise unless it's a very wet spring.

Been mild up here in south central Alaska too. +

Heck I've been out crabbing most every weekend.

Spring is still a long way off for me. We've yet to run the Iditarod or had our
Fur Rendezvous.

Sd

Last edited:
We have been cooler than average down here in Portland/Olympia. I need to get 20 hours on my new engine, but have only done 5 so far. Cold dry air and fog thru most of January. Looking at a high of 40 or so for this Saturday so I may have to crack open a can of harden the hell up and get out there. Plus it makes docking practice with my new set up which rotates opposite from the old one a bit easier with no other kooks around the marina.

We have been cooler than average down here in Portland/Olympia. I need to get 20 hours on my new engine, but have only done 5 so far. Cold dry air and fog thru most of January. Looking at a high of 40 or so for this Saturday so I may have to crack open a can of harden the hell up and get out there. Plus it makes docking practice with my new set up which rotates opposite from the old one a bit easier with no other kooks around the marina.

new engine?:)..spring time the time of renewal....yippee....time to go play you have to stretch her legs before she rusta up inside from non use:D

How's this for 8:00am. Key Biscayne.

ForumRunner_20130207_080924.png

I evidentially jinxed myself, the weathermen are all giddy with excitement about a major winter snow storm arrival Thursday. There are 2 types who take joy in snow - weather geeks & guys with wreckers.

Snow's long gone on the valley floor...saw earthworms weeks ago...there were cumulous clouds in January...everything (except the pussy willows for some weird reason) is well over a month ahead of schedule.

Spring has sprung here.

img_135656_0_3db22c6cb97786e84e0e8966f19b537c.jpg

I evidentially jinxed myself, the weathermen are all giddy with excitement about a major winter snow storm arrival Thursday. There are 2 types who take joy in snow - weather geeks & guys with wreckers.

:nonono:...
Wrong, there are three types. Those mentioned above,
and, Californians!
California Delta residents that can enjoy nice sunny weather, temps at this time of the year in the high 60's low seventies. they can jump in their suv's and be frolicking in the snow in 1.5 hours, snow boarding, skiing, snow shoeing, then when their little feet get chilled its back into the suv for a quick trip back down to the nice warm garden of Eden.
Its well documented that the first explorers upon entered the valley for the first time often described the area by comparing it to Eden. The valley and mountains were kept park like by the natives who often wore no clothes winter or summer because of the mild forgiving climate. There were no house flies black rats, mosquitoes and remarks were often made back then that the natives appeared to have no disease and lived forever. Food was ample with large herds of Elk, Antelope, Deer, lots of fruits and berries at arms reach free for the taking. Over four thousand feet the mountains did contain copious snow packs for at least part of the year but the valley was mostly warm and mostly sunny.
Much of what was described back then was fanciful but much was also true. The natives did keep the valley and foothills park like in order to make it easy to harvest acorns and other fruits.

Yes, there are a lot of fruits and nuts in California.

Couldn't resist. :D

Cold, with never ending wind here on the Chesapeake

It's in the high 80s where I am right now. Way too hot for me. I've only been here a day and I already miss our nice wet, overcast weather at home.

42F thaw today. Then mid 30's for rest of week. Come on spring.

Attachments

• bitchn.jpg
    bitchn.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 95
Aint that the truth! I hear that exact thing every day!

Warmed up today here, it was -22 C yesterday (-7F) but it has "warmed up" to -9 C (16F) today. I can't wait to start bitching about it being to hot.:peace:

comparing it to Eden.

Eden, that's what I think of when I drive through Pittsburg & Antioch:hide:

Warmed up today here, it was -22 C yesterday (-7F) but it has "warmed up" to -9 C (16F) today. I can't wait to start bitching about it being to hot.:peace:

Kinda looking forward to that myself, beers much better when it's 80f than 20f.

too hot to cold... the only people I know that take the weather for granted live in
Ca were its always nice cept at tax time.
This morning there was frost then by 1300 it was 70. Nice.........

Saw geese flying north today...weird...

We have a boat club cruise this weekend at Poulsbo, leaving on Friday. Here is the forecast:

Overcast with rain. High of 48F. Windy. Winds from the SSW at 20 to 25 mph with gusts to 35 mph. Chance of rain 80% with rainfall amounts near 0.5 in. possible.

Something to look forward to.

Ron

We have a boat club cruise this weekend at Poulsbo, leaving on Friday. Here is the forecast:

Overcast with rain. High of 48F. Windy. Winds from the SSW at 20 to 25 mph with gusts to 35 mph. Chance of rain 80% with rainfall amounts near 0.5 in. possible.

Something to look forward to.

Ron

thats great! Means you will be able to stay inside nice and roasty drinking a hot cup or in meeting hall gathered around a roaring fire enjoying the company of friends. Sonds like a great prospect for the weekend. Enjoy:thumb:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom