Honda vs Yamaha 40HP Outboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hard to get at a marine fuel station

NOT in FL where outboards are very common so the docks sell good fuel.

Ethanol doesn't travel well, so it is added by the dist at the end pipeline , or the local fuel dist. As soon as there is enough demand , most will deliver "off road fuel" to the local boat docks.

Stale fuel loses octane anyway so I always fill up with high octane so it lasts longer.
Peter B

In BC, higher octane fuel has less (if you are really lucky, zero) ethanol, so stays fresh longer. Hard to get at a marine fuel station, so hauling in jerrycans is preferred for the dinghy.

In Oregon they sell gas without ethanol but its expensive. I use it for my lawnmowers and wedeaters. I switched most other things to diesel

"In Oregon they sell gas without ethanol but its expensive."

IN use (cars boats) the non ethanol will usually give 10% to 15% better mileage,

but the real $aving is in NOT having to repair items.

In Washington it seems Union 76 stations have no ethanol at all but as noted it's about $.20 a gallon more.

Peter my 2hp Yamaha two stroke seems bullet proof in this regard too. I always turn off the fuel and run the little guy dry after each use. My 3.5hp Mercury 4 stroke performs as well.

Floyd I'm very sorry .... I was think'in Mercury and Yamaha ... not Honda.

Last edited:
"In Oregon they sell gas without ethanol but its expensive."

IN use (cars boats) the non ethanol will usually give 10% to 15% better mileage,

but the real $aving is in NOT having to repair items.

our testing at CARB indicated a ten percent decrease in fuel economy for most cars.

In Washington it seems Union 76 stations have no ethanol at all but as noted it's about $.20 a gallon more.

Peter my 2hp Yamaha two stroke seems bullet proof in this regard too. I always turn off the fuel and run the little guy dry after each use. My 3.5hp Mercury 4 stroke performs as well.

Floyd I'm very sorry .... I was think'in Mercury and Yamaha ... not Honda.

yes the yams and mercs were the same but no longer according to Merc. Thats why when i found out i couldn't get a yam i decided to get a merc only to discover it was a completly different engine. Those new mercs are incredible.

I bought my 60 Suzuki (2001 model) because I thought it was the best design and most advanced. I assumed they all were about as good as any other ... but perhaps not.

I bought my 60 Suzuki (2001 model) because I thought it was the best design and most advanced. I assumed they all were about as good as any other ... but perhaps not.

They all have their good points and bad points. I think that gas hog 9.9 merc i just bought is a suzuki and merc wouldnt have put there name on it if they didnt make to quality engines. I gues it is a good motor has tons of thrust, in fact to much for me but on a larger vessel it may be ok. I'm thinking it would make a great get home trawler motor

MERCURY 9.9HP OUTBOARD MOTOR

The 9.9 Merc you just bought is not built by Suzuki. I believe Tohatsu makes all the 30 hp mercs and below. I've had very good luck with Tohatsu motors. They usually are heavier than comparable motors of the same hp. A negative in the small engine market.

The 9.9 Merc you just bought is not built by Suzuki. I believe Tohatsu makes all the 30 hp mercs and below. I've had very good luck with Tohatsu motors. They usually are heavier than comparable motors of the same hp. A negative in the small engine market.
could be. I'm in ca. now and the motor is in oregon or i would run out and check. The motor has great thrust just a gas hog compared to the 115 and150 merc.
I've worked the 9.9 hard in the last year

Floyd perhaps it's got a problem like a carb float hanging up or adjusted too high?????

A friend in Alaska has 15 or so 15hp Johnson OBs for his fishing lodge rental fleet. They are really Suzuki engines and give great service even though they are operated by a different person every day that could care less about how long they last.

However I started liking Suzuki's as a motorcyclist.

I'm stunned. People have outboard engines on their dinghys with a large fraction of my 14-ton trawler's 80 horsepower???!!

My current dinghy donk is a Tohatsu 5hp with integral fuel tank, a tough simple no nonsense OB.
Sweetest OB ever owned was a Suzuki 7.5 twin cylinder as a sailboat auxiliary. Smooth as.

Floyd perhaps it's got a problem like a carb float hanging up or adjusted too high?????

A friend in Alaska has 15 or so 15hp Johnson OBs for his fishing lodge rental fleet. They are really Suzuki engines and give great service even though they are operated by a different person every day that could care less about how long they last.

However I started liking Suzuki's as a motorcyclist.

I had a suzuki 150. Bought it new, was my first motor vehicle, i think maybe 62-64. Cost less than 500 bucks

No its a good engine just lacks the sophisticated computer controled high presure fuel injection systems all my other late model engines have.
I have another merc, a 4hp 4stroke that is bullet proof vintage 1999. That is an incredible little tyke:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom