Bayliner 246 discovery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Floridakeyz

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Sterling Lady
After two loops, and a summer on the erie on a 38 marine trader,I am purchaing a bayliner 246. Seem a candidate for an exellent trailerable cruiser, has a lot of the options a cruiser wants, shower, hot and cold water, space,speed,galley,etc.

will update you after I get it on a cruise or two.

After two loops, and a summer on the erie on a 38 marine trader,I am purchaing a bayliner 246. Seem a candidate for an exellent trailerable cruiser, has a lot of the options a cruiser wants, shower, hot and cold water, space,speed,galley,etc.

I've got a Bayliner 3055 Ciera. Bayliners are Nice river boats! I've found my 3055 gets a bit off balance in open water swells hence why I will be selling her when I finish building my timber offshore cruising boat :)

Good luck with yours, im sure youll enjoy the bayliner. not met many people that dont. Good value rigs. Post plenty of pics. Everyone loves pics!

Last edited:
My "other" boat is a Bayliner 285, a little bigger than your 246. If you want the best use of space for a trailerable boat, I think you'll like the 246. I'm going to miss the 285 when it goes up for sale this spring.

One thing that separates our models from the 3055 (or 305) is that it's a single screw. The advantage there is you'll have a higher angle of deadrise and so will cut through chop a little better compared to a similar-sized boat with a flatter hull aft. Basically, a single can be tucked down into the "V" at the keel, while twins have to be laid out flat on either side. It's still a light boat, and gets lively in a good chop, but even there it gives a drier ride than a lot of much larger boats I've been on.

Everything in boating is a compromise. I think the Bayliner cruisers make a lot of good compromises. I just needed something that had slightly longer legs.

Need to hear more about those summers on the Erie!

May 2011 erie canal

I found this comment from your Erie Canal blog to be most interesting.

"Yes we do have a Westerbeke Generator on the boat, however, we will be using this little 2,000 E Honda Quiet Generator most of the time at anchor."

Admitting that I am a big fan of the Honda 2000EU, I am wondering why you chose to use it more? Is it quieter than the Westerbeke?

Hi-jack alert: and do you run the the Honda thru your shore power set up or just plug in the various bits and bobs you wish to power directly to the Honda?

Honda genys

I plug the shore power cord into the Honda 2,000. But to fully explain why this works, I use a windo unit to cool the aft cabin.

The honda is alot quieter than the diesel, uses about the same fuel, and much much cheaper to operate.

If you would like to see my setup, go to
www.trawlerSterlingLady.com

I have a 2011 bayliner 266 for sale at a really good price in atlantic canada wifey and i loved this little big boat. we went for the mainship for the diesel and we spend weeks at a time aboard. it is listed with sunnybrok yachts .

What the devil is a Bayliner 266 and 285 ect ect.

Bayliner Discovery was on my short list when we where looking around. We decided to not go the trailer route and bought our Owens. If we decide to trailer the Discovery will be the boat we'll most likely buy.

What the devil is a Bayliner 266 and 285 ect ect.

Think of a go-fast Chlorox bottle, and you're pretty close.

I still own one, so I can say that. Actually, I've had mine for 10 seasons and never regretted a moment of it.

If you wish to see my cruised on the erie, go to www.trawlerSterlingLady.com

and click on

May 2011 erie canal

and bringing the boat back from the Erie.

Your web pages are a great way to kill a morning!

My wife and I would like to spend the next couple of summers on the Erie and the Canadian systems but I was concerned how they faired after Irene and Sandy. We were on the Erie in 2000 but turned right at the Oswego and went up to Lake Ontario. I always wanted to go back and see the rest of the Erie.

It was a different world back then: film cameras, low fuel prices, pre 9/11 security, plentiful good jobs and a robust economy. Your pages looked like it would still be as fun as I remembered. We were even tossing around the idea of retiring along the Erie in one of the smaller towns out western NY. I just didn't know how they would be after the last decade. Some of them were charming but some could be rough. It looks like they took the changes in good grace.

We did a good chunk of the Erie on the Bayliner, and we will be going back. I liked all those little towns, too. Some were facing hard times, but they all had their charm.

But remember, a lock failure, weather, or even politics can shut down the whole canal for long stretches. And then there's that whole "winter" thing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom