New slip - new challenges - gunwale guards?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Per

Guru
We have moved out boat to a different slip in a more (to us) desirable marina in Alamitos bay - one of the public marinas of Long Beach.
The new slip is a little tighter fit which is ok, however on the port side there is a concrete pylon(?), its function is to keep the floating dock in place, in such manner the pylon is extended through the dock so that the dock can freely move up and down with the tide.
There is only apprx 10 inches of dock between the pylon and the inside of the slip.
OK so my challenge is that the top of my gunwale and also my stainless rails protrude out so that if i was inadvertently pushed against the pylon at a 30 degree angleoff port bow, it would scrape against my wooden foot rails and the stainless rails. (yes it happened before).
I cannot put rubber on the pylon, so I guess I would need to either get some gunwale fenders or extended rub rails.
Any suggestions?

Thanks RT, those are great at protecting the hull against the dock but my problem in the top of the gunwale and stainless rails.
If i was to put rollers big enough to protect the "overhanging/protruding" gunwale, i might not fit in the slip...

Is backing in practical and would it make a difference?

Or asking for a different slip? The docks in our marina are not designed like yours but the port staff is pretty helpful in arranging slip swaps if a boat or boater has trouble with their assigned slip.

Last edited:
In a somewhat similar situation, I found that inflatable buoys are useful. With a 28" round (in my case), placed well below the sheer line and against the dock, the hull gets sufficient standoff to protect the gunwales and rails from the pilings. I have to periodically adjust mine depending on tides, etc. With a captive dock, once you get it right, it should be hands off.

Backing in could be an option and is absolutely do-able. We prefer the view behind us though :)
We dont really have an issue with the assigned slip, probably just the protruding rails on the bow "corners" on our boat.
Inflatable buoy might work, we only need in the side where the pylon is standing.
I will have to check it out, thank you.

Per, I see the dock has to slide up and down on the pylon but is there possibly room to wrap that concrete pylon in something like white vinyl, UHMW, or teflon sheeting or possibly white conveyor belting, which will not leave marks or damage your railing or gunwales should you make contact while still allowing the dock to slide freely?? Just a thought.

I have seen a piling wrapped in what appeared to be outdoor carpet. Could that work?

Seems a LARGE ball type fender at dock level would help.
Steve W

now with photo

OK so here is a photo where you can see my gunnel, the stainless, the wooden gunwale rails and you can see the monster concrete pillar in the back ground...
What i discovered is that my gunnel guards do not protrude out far enough to effectively protect my rails... I think this is where my problem lies.

Attachments

• gunwale.JPG
    gunwale.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 158
thanks LaBomba, I have those already but in the corners my bow really have curves so those wheels do not offer protection.
Is it a big job to install new rub-rails?

thanks LaBomba, I have those already but in the corners my bow really have curves so those wheels do not offer protection.
Is it a big job to install new rub-rails?

I have never installed any myself but my first thought is that it would be a big job #1 and #2 there has to be a better solution. Do you have a bow thruster?

Would the marina allow you to mount a stand to the dock that keeps the same relative position to the boat as the dock rises and falls? The stand can have a roller on it and if your boat presses against it will be backed up by the piling.

no i dont have bow thruster
i guess it is really not that big an issue, i can just get some of those larger inflatable fenders and throw out on the port bow when coming in.
just thought it was kinda strange my rubrails dont really protrude out enough to protect my rails. I checked all the other boats on my dock and they all have heavier rubrails protruding out past rails.

Would the marina allow you to mount a stand to the dock that keeps the same relative position to the boat as the dock rises and falls? The stand can have a roller on it and if your boat presses against it will be backed up by the piling.

problem is not once i am in the slip, problem is when coming in.
once i am in the regular fenders keeps the hull safe.

no i dont have bow thruster
i guess it is really not that big an issue, i can just get some of those larger inflatable fenders and throw out on the port bow when coming in.
just thought it was kinda strange my rubrails dont really protrude out enough to protect my rails. I checked all the other boats on my dock and they all have heavier rubrails protruding out past rails.

Rather than changing out your rub rails could you possibly just extend them by adding an additional strip on top, something that won't be damaged by the concrete?

Get the big ball fender and if you can, secure it to the dock, I'd guess there is a cleat back there. Helps fen d the boat off when you are coming and going, moreso than a fender swinging at the end of a line attached to the boat.

My rubrails are well above the dock here. Use five fenders on each side to separate dock from hull.

img_132442_0_a561b52fb194b5cfe307c01cab206fc6.jpg

img_132442_1_d24b0de3e879d7c6aab159d2e98f3874.jpg

Last edited:
Did you try backing into the slip?

Get the big ball fender and if you can, secure it to the dock, I'd guess there is a cleat back there. Helps fen d the boat off when you are coming and going, moreso than a fender swinging at the end of a line attached to the boat.
nope, the main problem is the wood and SS rails hitting the concrete pillar, see the photo. i would not fit in the slip if i put large ball fender at the dock level as i only have 10 inches or so on each side..

My rubrails are well above the dock here. Use five fenders on each side to separate dock from hull.

img_132658_0_a561b52fb194b5cfe307c01cab206fc6.jpg

img_132658_1_d24b0de3e879d7c6aab159d2e98f3874.jpg
nice pics but you need to look at my original post, i dont have any problem with the dock itself, just the concrete pillar where you have a good set of rubrails to prevent, mine do not protrude out far enough..

Did you try backing into the slip?
well, that would be the easy way out and it would ruin my view from my preferred hanging out spot on the stern deck/cockpit.

nope, the main problem is the wood and SS rails hitting the concrete pillar, see the photo. i would not fit in the slip if i put large ball fender at the dock level as i only have 10 inches or so on each side..

Couldn't see the other side of you boat from the photo; that's tight! Rare to have a finger pier on each side. A concrete piling will chew up a rub rail of any composition eventually. Have you talked with the marina about attaching a strip fender to the pole? Given how narrow those piers are, isn't it a problem for others too? There are a variety of materials designed to attach (usually via bolting) to concrete pilings for this purpose.

Per, your slip is too narrow.

I use the round fenders near the stern and bow where the beam is less. Also use a larger-diameter cylindrical fender forward of the widest beam. The goal is to have the fenders have an equal "beam" although the most forward round fenders aren't large enough to accomplish this totally.

You might want to consider fastening fenders along the dock.

I don't think much of your marina's finger design in this case but that's not something you can do anything about. So what about securing a really big ball fender to the end of your finger. I mean one large enough to hold your hull clear of the piling with space to spare. There are really big ones that are used on commercial fishing boats, particularly the buy-boats like the Caleb Haley below that take fishing boats alongside, often in roughish water, to take aboard the fish and transport them to the processors.

While I'm sure new ones are expensive, we have bought all our fenders over the years, including some pretty big ones for rafting and getting of a dock in an adverse wind, from marine consignment stores. I don't know that we've ever paid more then $30-$40 for a Taylor or Poly fender in great shape, even our big ones.

Attachments

• Caleb Haley.jpg
    Caleb Haley.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
thanks Marin, but if i attached those fenders to the finger then i would not be able to fit in there, i only have around 20 inches total. But what might work would be to have a fender like that on the boat and just hang it very high so it protects the ss and wooden rails from getting any where near the pillar. I would only hang it out when coming in, then stove it after.

Per,

Your problem is not you or your skills but I see that you've moved to a LESS desirable slip. It's not built/designed correctly. The evil piling is NOT in the center of the float as it should be. I'd tell the marina to find you a proper slip.

I think Eric has your ultimate solution, but with regards to hanging a big ball fender on your boat to hold it off the finger be aware that with any kind of pressure on them fenders can roll themselves along the side of the boat and right up out of the space between the hull and the finger at which point your protection is gone.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom