View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 10:24 AM   #54
caltexflanc
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
While not "required" I think not using tinned wire is an unnecessary short cut, especially if the cable is in a bilge or relatively exposed to the elements. Stuff that can burn your boat up or cause it to stop functioning correctly just isn't the place to economize. That aside, unless you are never going to have the boat surveyed ever again and are self insured and just really don't care, you should at least use stuff labeled Boat Cable with the UL 1426 label. Personally I can't understand why anyone wouldn't use the best solution in such a critical component when the price delta is almost insignificant in the larger picture.

As others have said, if you have the best cable and connectors in the right size and don't install them properly, it's all for naught.

I've had no problems whatsoever with using the proper sized and type Blue Seas circuit breakers and we've used a lot of them for the inverter panels, shore power, and windlass, and use them year around and heavily.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote