View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #10
bikeandboat

City: Maumelle, AR
Vessel Name: Missing Link
Vessel Model: 1986 Albin 34 Family Cruiser
Having traveled the Mississippi a number of times from Cairo to New Orleans I have found one of the most important bits of information you need to always have is your position. What mile marker or what bend in the river are you in or approaching. And yes, the tow boat captains monitor a "traffic" channel. You do have the one whistle and two whistle correct. Many times the only response you will hear from the tow captain is "one" or "two". That is it. Other captains will want to ask about your boat if they happen to like it.

If you choose to run at night the captains get a bit testy about a pleasure craft in their midst. I have made a few trips running over night and have found it is best to make friends with a tow captain and stay on his stern and definitely stay out of his way.

Some of the turns on rivers are so tight the tow captains ask that you not overtake while they are "flanking" to make the turn. Do not pass them or even get close during those times. They are very busy and not in a good mood. I had to wait quite a while at the last turn on the Cumberland before entering the Ohio a few months ago. Actually, it is interesting to watch a good captain manage one of those monster tows around a close bend.

It is a lot of fun playing on the rivers with the bigs guys running, just be careful.
bikeandboat is offline   Reply With Quote