Fuel filter question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swampu

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Cajun Rose
Vessel Make
Biloxi Lugger
I would like some input on my fuel filter set up. I have 4 250gallon tanks. Two 6-71's and two onan gensets. Would you put a filter after every tank and then pipe it to the valves to run gensets and engines or have the filter dedicated to the engine or genset? I'm leaning toward the filter for each tank but I have no experience in that area. Thanks Paul

I would dedicate a filter to each user - then I could send fuel from one tank to more than one user.

My boat has one large 500 gallon tank....each engine has a pair of Racor 900's with vacuum gauges, and my genset has a pair of Racor 500's so I can change over if needed in a hurry.

I would think that if you were to put a pair of 900's for each engine, and a pair of 500's for each genset....you will have plenty of filtration and water separation.....

Psst....if you use Racor's....get the stuff from "Hopcar"...... He has good prices on them.... Racor Fuel Filter Water Seperators -Marine Turbine Series Filter element prices are really good too.... Its where I get mine!

I would dedicate a filter to each user - then I could send fuel from one tank to more than one user.

+1

One filter before each user, then each user will also have a finer filter. That will suffice.

Does it matter if the filter is in the engine room and the genset is about 30 feet away?

Does it matter if the filter is in the engine room and the genset is about 30 feet away?

I would recommend the filter located near the user - 30 feet of small fuel line invites sediment.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom