Old 02-02-2013, 09:58 AM   #18
Moonstruck
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I always remember, once we were tied up at Scipio Creek Marina in Apalachicola, FL
The dock was alongside the marina's restaurant. I was grilling on the back deck with a drink in my hand. I chanced to look up at the reastaurant and I saw people watching me though the window. I thought about all the times I had looked boaters relaxing on their boats, Like I was. Now here were these folks watching me with envy.
Steve W
Steve, you have reminded me of one of our great moments in boating. It was Lou's first cruise on the boat. She was naturally nervous having had no boating experience. We pulled into the St. Charles YC for a night. Check out time was about 12 noon which corresponds with the lunch crowd at the restaurant.

The dockmaster had put us in the corner along side of a fixed dock. Pointed the wrong way of course. He put a big flush deck cruiser about 2' off our platform. When we started to leave, I walked out on the bow with Lou. I told her what I was going to do. I took the bow line, and put one turn around a piling then told her to firmly hold the end. When I say to let it go take your time and remove it from the piling. Then just bring it back aboard.

What I hadn't noticed was that the patrons of the restaurant were starting to gather at the windows. It seams watching people get out of that corner was kind of a spectator sport around there. Lou didn't notice them, and that's a good thing. I pivoted the boat around the piling, told her to bring the line back aboard, and backed down the fairway. People were applauding as we pulled out. We spun the boat around, and headed out to the river.

I was very proud of her, and am to this day. She started boating on a week's cruise, and has put thousands of miles under the keel since.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote