Pick one and Go

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anode

Guru
Vessel Name
M/V Scout
Vessel Make
Sundowner Tug 30'
I picked this up from another forum not relating to boats or boating but still good advice-

"......at some point you gotta drop some coin on one or the other and learn by doing. You can ask questions all day and get lots of opinions, but you still need to see if for yourself at the end of the day.

Pick one and GO."

I saw an interview with the creator of the Spawn comic series a long time ago. He said there are basically two types in this world; those who tippy-toe to the edge, peer over, and try to imagine everything that could possibly go wrong, and those who run hell-bent over the edge and figure it out on the way down.

Obviously a little preparation goes a long way, like when flying a helicopter for the first time or quitting your job to become a full time artist, but you get the point.

You also have to pay heed to the signs. Our first boat deal fell apart in spectacular fashion, but we rationalized that it must not have meant to be, and that Karmic Forces or Boating Gods were guiding us towards a better boat we didn't even know about, just over the horizon. Turned out to be true, as Anode will probably agree, because a couple months later we found our 30' Sundowner Tug :)

(Must fess up though...it's been under cover for the winter...think we'll be a wee bit prudent and wait until spring before exploring BC's north coast!)

To me, it's the road less traveled. Play it safe, hoping to live long enough to see some of your dreams come to fruition, or be bold enough to try and possibly fail.

To us, there are really three kinds of people.
Those that watch things happen.
Those that make things happen.
And..............
Those that wake up every morning, look around, and say....."What happened?"

Which one do you want to be?

And..............

There ought to be a gold star for an A1+ quality first post like that one :D

Welome aboard!

We do all three. First we make something happen, then watch as it unfolds, and then wake up the next day and wonder WTH happened. ;o)

And..............

I like that. I'm probably more in the second group, but cautiously. I tend to measure things on my own risk/reward scale, but that's a sliding scale in most instances. I'm almost always up for an adventure, especially if it involves boats, but not if it involves heights.

Pau Hana mentioned the road less traveled. That's long been one of my favorite poems and the way I've run my life for many years.

I do agree with the quote posted by the OP. You can sit on here all day, but if you don't cast off the dock lines you ain't never gonna be a good skipper. No matter how many people tell you how to do things, you aren't going to find what works for you until you actually get out there and try.

And..............

Sounds like one of my parties...

Then there's the quote(s) that goes like this...

Smart people learn from their mistakes...
True genius is learning from the mistakes made by others....

Then there's the quote(s) that goes like this...

Smart people learn from their mistakes...
True genius is learning from the mistakes made by others....

Which genius are you learning from here...?:D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom