Desert Island Discs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceK

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Sojourn
Vessel Make
Integrity 386
What music, if any, do you like to have on board, on Ipod, CD,cassette... (even 8 track cartridge!)?
Maybe you stream from the internet. Or you go boating to avoid music.
For me, it changes but long time choices include Bill Evans, Anita Baker, Chet Baker (no relation), Steely Dan/Donald Fagen, Quincy Jones, Blossom Dearie (google her, real name, a singer`s singer), Sinatra. Yes I know, half of them are dead, but their music is not.
Let`s hear yours.

What music, if any, do you like to have on board, on Ipod, CD,cassette... (even 8 track cartridge!)?
Maybe you stream from the internet. Or you go boating to avoid music.
For me, it changes but long time choices include Bill Evans, Anita Baker, Chet Baker (no relation), Steely Dan/Donald Fagen, Quincy Jones, Blossom Dearie (google her, real name, a singer`s singer), Sinatra. Yes I know, half of them are dead, but their music is not.
Let`s hear yours.

I like the softer side of the Latin beats. Going into a music store I asked the clerk if he had any Bosa Nova CDs. Looking confused, he thought for a minute. Then replied, "I don't think I've ever heard of that group".

On the boat we are pretty eclectic with everything from jazz to island sounds to soft rock. Two blocks from our boat slip every Tuesday night is jazz night at the Black Box Theater. A great evening of live jazz.

I guess I'm still in love with "The Girl From Ipanema".:blush:

Last edited:
We have a little of everything, pop, country, classical, oldies, theatre (Phantom of the Opera), and my favourite CCR. Depends on the mood but we never play so loud as to annoy our neighbours, not like some people.

I looked at my iPod just now and have everything from orchestra music to the Beastie Boys. My current favorite is a bluegrass band called The Devil Makes Three. AC/DC to Conway Twitty, its all good to me.

XM/Sirrius is my main source, although I do have a bunch of MP3's. Lot of TropRock like Jimmy Buffet, etc.

I like to put the Ipod in Shuffle mode and listen to: Rock, pop, country folk, Caribbean, So. American, African, Hawaiian, Cajun,
Like the Beatles, Madonna, Kingston trio, Celia Cruz, Kassav, Monique Seca. Buena Vista Social Club, Maria Dolores Pradera (my favorite), Eagles, Steely Dan, Dire Staits, Dido, Loreena Mckenitt, Allison Krause, Subdudes, Beausoleil, way too many to list.
Steve W

. Going into a music store I asked the clerk if he had any Bosa Nova CDs. Looking confused, he thought for a minute. Then replied, "I don't think I've ever heard of that group".I guess I'm still in love with "The Girl From Ipanema".:blush:
An English jazz/funk band, lead singer Maysa, is called "Incognito";few know them, I say " that`s ok,they`re incognito".
Latin jazz; great enduring music, a local jazz FM station even has a Brazilian presenter.

We find ourselves listening more and more to Pandora, internet music. We enjoy classic rock, 'boat music' and also enjoy 'new' music from the following artists/stations:

Sara Bareilles
Bruno Mars
Adelle
Jason Mraz
Alanis Morissette
Colbie Caillat
Norah Jones
Taylor Swift

All time favorite stations:
Van Morrison
Santana
Queen
Joe Walsh
CSN&Y
Eagles
Tom Petty
Supertramp

OK Bruce I'll play,

Angus & Julie Stone
Bob Dylan
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Norah Jones
Jack Johnson
Ben Howard,
and when I have had one too many red wines, and the stars are shining
Simon and Garfunkel

Plus quite a few of the above.

Greetings,
All of the above, for the most part. NO jimmy Buffet! NO jazz. NO country...and sometimes when the sun is going down and the air is still...

I seldom listen to music on the boat. It surrounds me where ever I go.
Kind of nice just to listen to nature.
The sound of the motor is what I am most interested in.

I was sitting next to a Glacier once just listening to it rumble and the ice tinkling and cracking all around me.
One of the guy's on board had to have an ipod or iphone or what ever it was going . He put it in a pot out of the galley to get more volume out of it.
I made him turn it off.
I'm the skipper of this boat and what I say go's.
If you have to have music all the time use headphones.

SD

Greetings,
All of the above, for the most part. NO jimmy Buffet! NO jazz. NO country...and sometimes when the sun is going down and the air is still...QUOTE]

We need to talk. Not liking two out of those three is not good. Now I agree that some of the "New Age" form the 80's is way to wild as well as some of the so called "mellow" is elevator music but the likes of Kenton, Brubeck, Jimmy Smith, Quincey Jones, Oliver Nelson, Sinatra, Bennett, Torme ........

+1 (But my wife loves music on the boat. :facepalm:)

classical music, any and all standard jazz , Sting, Botti, Metheny, Bocelli, Rat Pack, Lincoln Park, Rush, Led Zep, Mobi, etc. Mostly just quiet.

Same here. I seldom have music on when on board.

Greetings,
This turns my crank occasionally as well...no joke...
Pentatonic can be very beautiful. Some jazz uses Pentatonic scales as well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom