Honda vs Yamaha 40HP Outboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Insequent

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
Insequent
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
I'm looking to replace my dinghy with an RIB that can take a 40HP outboard. Preferred supplier typically fits Honda, but I may be able to get a a Yamaha on it.

Any experiences here with Honda mid-size outboards? Comparison to Yamaha would be nice.

I currently have a 40 HP Mercury on one of my tenders. Supposedly the block was made by Yamaha in that year. It has been a good,z reliable motor. I have had experience with the Honda in that range and it was a positive one. Last year I purchased a 115 Yamaha for another tender and the Yamaha is wonderful. I know they all want good, clean fuel so filter and use stabil. I don't think you could go wrong with either brand.

I have a 40hp Evinrude e-tech w a tiller arm and have had good (flawless) service w it but I don't have many hours accumulated.

I like the 30hp Honda very much because it has an offset drive shaft. The crankshaft has a gear on it's bottom end and the powerhead is about 3" forward of where it normally would be. It costs them extra to make it that way but it's a much better balanced unit. Now I don't know if their 40hp OB has this feature but I'd look for it if I were buying. It should be much easier to tilt and turn.

One thing I don't like about the Honda's is their tall gear ratio of about 1.8-1 .
My Evinrude is 2.67-1 by comparison. The e-tech swings a prop almost 14" in dia. It's possible on a dinghy a smaller higher speed prop may be preferred.

Both Honda and Yamaha have an excellent reputation so it's more a question of what you like.

Attachments

• DSCF0744 copy.JPG
    DSCF0744 copy.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
Yes, BSF I think either brand will work fine. Yamaha have a lot more market penetration but I've found several Honda service centers here in SE Qld so i think I'll be OK with a Honda. The RIB guy could manage a Yamaha I think, but it might involve additional cost.

Eric, the Honda claim their 40 is the lightest in its class. It has a 2.08 gear ratio and standard prop seems to be 11.25". A little better gearing than you mentioned. No idea about the drive train setup you referred to.

Amazing that the weight is very close to the 2006 Yamaha 50HP 2 stroke on my current RIB. I was looking to re-use that motor, but the new aluminum RIB is rated to 40 max.

Last edited:
If you're cruising, Yamaha parts are much more available throughout the US and Caribbean.

Both are exceptionally good outboards.
I have a Honda 40 at present, which has been completely trouble free.
I have had a couple of Yamahas in the past, both of which have been trouble free.
It is notable that wherever I have been in Mexico or Central America, Yamaha seems to have 100% of the local market, so presumably service would be good there, if ever needed.
Check your own area for market share and choose your engine.

I have a Honda 40 and would gladly swap it out for a Yamaha. I used to have a larger Yamaha that was more durable/reliable. Plus, I believe that Yamaha service is more easily available.

Inssequent wrote;

"Eric, the Honda claim their 40 is the lightest in its class."

I bought a 60hp Suzuki because it was the heaviest in it's class. They made their 90hp OB w the same powerhead. The 60 Suzy was 300cc bigger than the other OBs as well. For that application I wanted heavy duty on a comparitive basis.

For my dinghy I bought the lightest I could find ... a 2hp 2 stroke Yanadog.

My big Suzuki is very heavy though. Like a diesel OB probably.

That 40 Evinrude isn't light either but when I load that big skiff up it's excellent thrust is golden. It's the same engine basically as their 60hp.

Last edited:
I am a Yamaha fan, Yamaha 200, Yamaha 15 four stroke, Yamaha 3000 Inverter generator, Yamaha Kodiak ATV. Can't beat them IMHO, but maybe I have just had good luck with them. I found Honda to be more expensive in my area and dealers not as easy to deal with.

Attachments

• IMG_1472 (Large).jpg
    IMG_1472 (Large).jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_0837 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0837 (Large).jpg
    201 KB · Views: 189
Reading a few posts here I had a couple of thoughts.

First, if Yamaha are so dominant in the Caribbean, would a Honda be less prone to theft as it would stand out, probably not be as easy for the 'fence' to offload?

Second, do these high tech 4 strokes have the same service setup as modern cars - do you have to plug the manufacturer's diagnostic computer in for service? If so, how many developing country, remote, small dealers have the equipment? In other words, is the seemingly ubiquitous spread of Yamaha a meaningful advantage?

Second, do these high tech 4 strokes have the same service setup as modern cars - do you have to plug the manufacturer's diagnostic computer in for service? If so, how many developing country, remote, small dealers have the equipment? In other words, is the seemingly ubiquitous spread of Yamaha a meaningful advantage?

Agreed , so the old standby a 40 HP Evinrude old style 2 stroke might be a better choice for cruising.

No problem with repairs , its been almost the same for decades!!

What is interesting to me is why does the Honda engine in my 2000i genset start right up after sitting for seven or eight months with old gas and continue to run like it should but an outboard will not?

Yesterday we were expecting high winds here in NC. So to keep the electric from going off I figured I would start the genset as it hadn't been run since the August hurricane season. I did nothing to it except pull the start cord about ten times before it started. When it started it spit and sputtered once or twice and then off it went. Now it starts on the first pull as always. I did treat it to some new fuel by adding Seafoam to the three gallons in the auxiliary tank (at least three years old) and three more fresh gallons as well.

It seemed to have worked the electric didn't go off once and the high winds are now past.

So why can't the outboard 4 cycle engines do the same?:banghead:

What is interesting to me is why does the Honda engine in my 2000i genset start right up after sitting for seven or eight months with old gas..........

Good to know! I've been mulling over getting one for a few years. :thumb:

Have been running a Honda 40 for two years without any issues.
However, I agree that yamaha seems to dominate in the Carribean, so all things being equal, I'd be leaning that direction.

My original post has been censored so I will try again in a more kindly manor. Why not consider a Domestic built product, they are every bit as good in technology and build quality as the imported product and will help to support our ailing economy.There I hope that does not upset anyone this time.

My original post has been censored so I will try again in a more kindly manor. Why not consider a Domestic built product, they are every bit as good in technology and build quality as the imported product and will help to support our ailing economy.There I hope that does not upset anyone this time.

I am Australian. There is no Domestic product. In any event, its a global marketplace these days and I'll buy the best I can afford provided its not coming from somewhere with UN Trade Sanctions in force.

For outboards at present there are two leaders, and a bunch of followers in the second tier. The second tier brands have a market niche or two, but I've owned or had personal experience with quite a number of them over the years. Mostly the US brands, but also Suzuki. These days I would only consider one of the leaders, hence the title of my original post. Which seem hard to split. But at present I'm thinking it will be Yamaha if the RIB supplier (Honda dealer) can get one on the transom for the same price.

Last edited:
if the RIB supplier (Honda dealer) can get one on the transom for the same price.

Initial cost is not the biggest factor in life cost of an item.

Ask any Volvo owner if cheap to keep works for them.

Fred, I am curious--- are there any domestic manufacturers left? I was under the impression (possibly mistaken) that even the old US named OBs are now manufactured in whole or in part overseas (Asia). Just curious!!

So why can't the outboard 4 cycle engines do the same?:banghead: __________________
Vinny

They do

Expat:
Sine you live in Australia, have you considered a diesel OB? Am I correct in thinking they are available/legal there? It always seemed a pity to me to have to carry multiple containers of highly flammable gas when I had hundreds of gallons of safer diesel on board already.

The domestic product is boldly posted in post #3.

Not in compliance w the OP .. just say'in it's domestic. Well the company is a Canadian company but the product is made in the states. So I've been told.

The cost of the Yamadog will almost certainly be well above that of the Honda since he is a Honda dealer.

Ther'e all good engines. Pick the one you like whether it's color, features, price or service. Wer'e pleasure boaters (I'd say yachtsmen but some don't like that) and the choices of equipment is almost never ever going to pay you any dividends so choose the one you like.

My Nimble is powered with a 22 yr old Honda 45 outboard. It has been relativity trouble free with the biggest expense with the lower unit. Older Hondas did have corrosion issues in the lower unit.
It always starts (knock on wood) and I will likely replace it with another Honda.And my 8 yr old Honda 2000 genny has always started too...!

I talked to a man at the boat show that seemed to be under the impression that the offset shaft was no longer available but looking up the specs should clear that up. I suspect he may not really know. He also seemed to believe the gears at the bottom of the crank allowed for some shaft speed reduction so it's possible the offset shaft means the Hondas have double reduction. However I think the overall reduction is not low considering the smallish props they employ. On my e-tech I like the big prop, low gear ratio and high thrust but it comes at a small price as it puts nore torque into the steering system. I'm more than aware of this as I'm running my 40 e-tech w a long tiller for steering. Honda could have just as easily gone w the low gearing so the smaller prop and taller gearing (as I'vesuggested before) may be more appropriate for a dinghy. With hydraulic steering, a big heavy boat to push w economy and thrust in mind the low geared Evinrude would be the best choice. So sometimes the features of a product aren't necessarily an element of quality but features of the most suitable application.

For the OP at this point I'd be about ready to suggest going for the Honda. And even more so if it has the offset shaft.

Eric
You are spot-on with your comments. I still haven't seen anything written about the offset shaft but haven't searched very hard.

At the boat show I thought the guy said 'a Yamaha would not be much extra, if anything'. Now I have the written quotes it turns out the Yamaha would cost me an extra $800, so I guess he cant get a deal on it or didn't really try to. Or perhaps Honda are coming to the party a bit for boat show deals. I cant justify the extra $ under the circumstances - a new VHF and dive ladder are better use of the funds. So it will be a Honda 40 for me. Even though I'm not a fan of the color!

Expat:
Sine you live in Australia, have you considered a diesel OB? Am I correct in thinking they are available/legal there? It always seemed a pity to me to have to carry multiple containers of highly flammable gas....
I have not (knowingly)seen a diesel OB, nor seen one offered for sale locally. Can`t comment on legality,definitely question availability.
I share your criticism of gas/petrol fuel onboard but what leads you to think diesel OBs are available here?

I'm looking to replace my dinghy with an RIB that can take a 40HP outboard. Preferred supplier typically fits Honda, but I may be able to get a a Yamaha on it.

Any experiences here with Honda mid-size outboards? Comparison to Yamaha would be nice.

merc is lighter faster and sips fuel

Floyd I think it's the same engine so perhaps not likely.

Floyd I think it's the same engine so perhaps not likely.
just went through that last year and found thats no longer true on most 4strks. the yam is three cylinder and merc is three, or four in the bigfoot model.
i was going to buy a yam cause the honda was to heavy then switched to merc for a five year warranty and availability. i was impressed and think it uses less fuel than my 9.9

What is interesting to me is why does the Honda engine in my 2000i genset start right up after sitting for seven or eight months with old gas and continue to run like it should but an outboard will not?

So why can't the outboard 4 cycle engines do the same?:banghead:
Might be something to do with the engine size and sophistication JD. My Honda 2hp does just like your genny, even after sitting unused for months and with stale fuel. I suspect it is because the bigger ones are fuel injected, and not carburettor fed, and also they like higher octane being higher compression engines. Stale fuel loses octane anyway so I always fill up with high octane so it lasts longer.

Last edited:
Stale fuel loses octane anyway so I always fill up with high octane so it lasts longer.
Peter B

In BC, higher octane fuel has less (if you are really lucky, zero) ethanol, so stays fresh longer. Hard to get at a marine fuel station, so hauling in jerrycans is preferred for the dinghy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom