BBQ on board

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why must I continue to remind you people (and the southerners here should know better)... Those devices are grills. Neither are hot dogs and hamburgers. Nor do you invite people over for a barbeque. Bar-B-Q is a certain style of cooking or the result of it. :socool::rofl:

Now please, continue your discussion about grills for your boat.

Tom-

grills???......no Tom this is suppsed to be a family forum. If grills you want come on down to the boardwalk its T shirts and shorts weather and grils everywhere

all kidding aside i have a little fold up cast weber that uses those little propane bottles i use. It's cast so holds the heat in and can go any place i like. Throw it in the dingy for a trip to the beach or for a hike in the woods.

http://www.weber.com/explore/grills/gas-portable/weber-q-100-2

I've had this little guy for years above is the link to the new version. I made a sack for it out of a scrap of sunbrella.

Last edited:
I use a magma charcoal fired. It hangs over the transom. At home I have a natural gas fired Falcon. Although I love the absolutely no maintenance Falcon at home, with no tank to fill. We use it year round including winter when we often have to shovel a path across the deck to use it. It isn't as good as the charcoal on the boat. The charcoal Magma is slow to heat, but that just gives me an excuse to have another adult beverage. The charcoal is a bit of a mess. Its not big enough for more than 4 people. 4 - 1 lb. ribeyes fit tight. But I love it. and the food always seems to taste better than on land. That has to be because of the grill not the locale. None of the marinas I have stayed at allow me to use it, but that's OK too. It gives an excuse to fire up the motors and go someplace, even if it a mile away to drop the hook. And the best feature of all, I have made some fish extremely happy with food far better than they would have got unless I was clumsy enough to drop it into the drink.

Attachments

• 26jun2011 080.jpg
    26jun2011 080.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Those devices are grills.

If the manufacturer calls it a barbecue, that's what it is. If you think they're wrong, take it up with them. But until Dickinson, Magma, etc. start calling them grills, they're barbecues.:)

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. G. The only comment I can make about Mr. Marin's assertion is.....Yankees....

Last edited:
We have the Magma round "party Grill size" which is the larger size. We use it a lot, bbq meats, or with a wok on a "wok ring" that holds it with the grill removed. This works well for stir fry or curry. We also have a paella pan that fits just right on top of the grill for paella or doubles as a griddle. We have the optional legs set so it can be brought on shore to use on a table if wanted.
Steve W

In the summer the cheapest propare BBQ I can find for about 20 Bucks that is thrown away at the end of.summer. In the winter with the stern deck canvas enclosed we use a George Forum electric grill.

Greetings,
Mr. G. The only comment I can make about Mr. Marin's assertion is.....Yankees....

I grew up in Hawaii. That's way farther south than northern states like South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, etc. And in Hawaii, they're all called "barbecues." :)

I'm surprised no one mentioned the big green egg. I was going to build a holder for a green egg and mount it. Is that going to burn my boat down again?

A lot of the "charter and head boats" working out of the Gulf Shores AL area have a green egg mounted in the cockpit. I'm not sure what they do with them, I guess grill fish for customers at lunch time?
Steve W

We use Magma BBQ/Grill. :D Hope that product title satisfies all posters’ conflicting nomenclature needs :facepalm:.

See dark cover atop sundeck rail's port-rear. Uses small, fat, disposable propane bottle (wish they could be refilled) and can cook well for up to 5 adult eaters... with a little help from the galley for other meal fixings. :whistling:

I use ribbed, vented cooking inserts on the grill to keep it all fairly clean so I only need to take it apart once a year (at most) to really clean er up... 4 yrs old, all parts are still in good shape... so far! :dance:

Attachments

• TO - Stbd in Tules 100_0433.JPG
    TO - Stbd in Tules 100_0433.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 93
Another alternative we find great, as it does not use gas or electric and can be placed nearly anywhere after the initial heat bead burn is settled, it is that well insulated, is one of these. It is amazing how much one can cook on it......

Home | Cobb - Making Life Easier x

PS. In my view, by common usage, they are all BBQs....

Last edited:
Up until last week I had a Galley Mate 1500, terrific BBQ.It's now free to anyone who wants it, provided you can dive, maybe a job for Hendo.A boat leaving a mooring in a strong wind took our rail and BBQ with him. :mad:

Haha yeah ill ave a look for ya! ;-)

Why do you spend so much money on a BBQ? When you can by a cheap one that is a throw away. The older we get the more we do not want to own and/or maintain. If we have a large group to be used a couple of time, then it becomes next years BBQ. Our Back deck 13’ X 10’ with a sink, refrigeration.

Attachments

• back deck.jpg
    back deck.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 81
We have to use electric grills if we're in the slip, this is the one that turns out the best steaks I've had on a electric. Set it on medium when the light goes out put the steak on for 3 min on a side. Better than gas almost as good as charcoal, gotta start with 1"+ cuts, I like porterhouse.

image-3031070607.jpg

Last summer a Looper in the slip next to us (about five feet rail to rail) torched off a charcoal grill (soaked with starter fluid). Of course he waited until the harbor master had left for the night. Posted marina rules say no on-board grilling. The wind was about 10 kts directly toward our boat. Flames shot five...six feet in the air before he managed to get the lid on. Then he threw a bunch of greasy burgers on the fire and our boat disappeared in a pall of black smoke. We had to leave the sundeck and go inside. That is as good a reason as any for banning on board grill activity of any kind in marinas. By the way, there were grills and picnic tables directly in front of his boat.

We use Magma BBQ/Grill. :D Hope that product title satisfies all posters’ conflicting nomenclature needs :facepalm:.

See dark cover atop sundeck rail's port-rear. Uses small, fat, disposable propane bottle (wish they could be refilled) and can cook well for up to 5 adult eaters... with a little help from the galley for other meal fixings. :whistling:

I use ribbed, vented cooking inserts on the grill to keep it all fairly clean so I only need to take it apart once a year (at most) to really clean er up... 4 yrs old, all parts are still in good shape... so far! :dance:

It is illegal in Ontario to refill the small bottles but there are multiple sites that sell the adapters and lots of youtube videos on how to do it. Never tryed myself but it obviously can be done. Anyone have one or tried it??

Propane Refill Kit - Refill Propane Bottles with Ease!

My business partner refills the small one pound bottles on his boat all the time. I’ve watched him do it and it seems safe enough.

I know exactly how much money he makes, and I’ll just add that he can afford to buy as many of the bottles as he needs.

I’ve never done it, but then I don’t have a grill on the little DeFever.

Mike

It is illegal in Ontario to refill the small bottles but there are multiple sites that sell the adapters and lots of youtube videos on how to do it. Never tryed myself but it obviously can be done. Anyone have one or tried it??

Propane Refill Kit - Refill Propane Bottles with Ease!

been doing it for years, its easy and safe. The trick is to make sure you turn the fill from tankupside down so you fill the can with liquid instead of gaseous propane. They then last much longer than if filled with gas.

Last summer a Looper in the slip next to us (about five feet rail to rail) torched off a charcoal grill (soaked with starter fluid). Of course he waited until the harbor master had left for the night. Posted marina rules say no on-board grilling. The wind was about 10 kts directly toward our boat. Flames shot five...six feet in the air before he managed to get the lid on. Then he threw a bunch of greasy burgers on the fire and our boat disappeared in a pall of black smoke. We had to leave the sundeck and go inside. That is as good a reason as any for banning on board grill activity of any kind in marinas. By the way, there were grills and picnic tables directly in front of his boat.

Unless your boat is covered in gasoline...I hardly think a flareup on a grill a boat away is a fire hazard.:rofl:

Most boats are electrical nightmares that are more likely to catch fire and burn yours down in the middle of the night than from a "party grilling experience".:rolleyes:

Unless your boat is covered in gasoline...I hardly think a flareup on a grill a boat away is a fire hazard.:rofl:

Most boats are electrical nightmares that are more likely to catch fire and burn yours down in the middle of the night than from a "party grilling experience".:rolleyes:
only boats that have been owner modified or maintanined without ptoper education. There is a reason for marine specs, and they are not the same as home depot specs.................

only boats that have been owner modified or maintanined without ptoper education. There is a reason for marine specs, and they are not the same as home depot specs.................

Please feel free to show me the specs from ABYC or the USCG on grills....:eek:

Maybe propane installs but you are so far out of your league as a self described landlubber I can't believe I even responded....:rolleyes:

The "flareup" was about six inches from the shared wooden finger pier and slightly below it. The dock burns, our boat burns...guaranteed.

Should have hosed him off, I know I would have. He was the one in the wrong and he smoked up your boat.

The "flareup" was about six inches from the shared wooden finger pier and slightly below it. The dock burns, our boat burns...guaranteed.

Guaranteed???? Ever take a propane torch to all that??? I've seen plumbers work and while they take precautions....it takes some real effort for them to catch things on fire to a roar quickly. When my grill flares up...you can pass your hand through the flame...gimme a break....:rolleyes:

As I said unless you were covered in flammable liquid I doubt there was much danger. People have grills next to their houses and how often do you here about the house catching on fire??? 1 in a million???? Maybe????

Uncomfortable...yes...smokey yes and maybe not very polite...but dangerous???? NOT!

Please feel free to show me the specs from ABYC or the USCG on grills....:eek:

Maybe propane installs but you are so far out of your league as a self described landlubber I can't believe I even responded....:rolleyes:

Oh, so here we go with that anti marine spec kick again. Well Mr. psneed, the fact is marine specs have had been developed after tons of effort and scientific research by many professionals and while not perfect they protect the novice far better than the off the cuff advice of a single "expert", such as yourself.
I don't claim to be an expert on anything and thats were we differ.

:)

Guaranteed???? Ever take a propane torch to all that??? I've seen plumbers work and while they take precautions....it takes some real effort for them to catch things on fire to a roar quickly. When my grill flares up...you can pass your hand through the flame...gimme a break....:rolleyes:

As I said unless you were covered in flammable liquid I doubt there was much danger. People have grills next to their houses and how often do you here about the house catching on fire??? 1 in a million???? Maybe????

Uncomfortable...yes...smokey yes and maybe not very polite...but dangerous???? NOT!

you can pass your hand through it cause it is a gas, if it was liquid your hand would countinue to flame. Another lesson in rocket science:)...soon we will both be astronauts......:rofl:

Oh, so here we go with that anti marine spec kick again. Well Mr. psneed, the fact is marine specs have had been developed after tons of effort and scientific research by many professionals and while not perfect they protect the novice far better than the off the cuff advice of a single "expert", such as yourself.
I don't claim to be an expert on anything and thats were we differ.

:)

As I thought..totally without the ability to point towards ANY MARINE regulation on grills other than a marina, town or county regulation that was the result of some yahoo that shouldn't have been allowed to play with matches in the first place.:rofl:

Do you ever get tired of not having a real answer?:D

you can pass your hand through it cause it is a gas, if it was liquid your hand would countinue to flame. Another lesson in rocket science:)...soon we will both be astronauts......:rofl:

So you make my point for me and you think it's funny??? I'll bet a whole bunch do....:socool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom