Old 01-30-2013, 02:57 PM   #47
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
I think I know where you're coming from, Eric. What you are attempting to explain and pass on as the requirements for beauty are in fact the accepted rules (learned) for the use of engineering disciplines such as geometry, math, structural engineering. etc. Your definitions of what creates beauty, really apply more to structural design and efficiency. And with that, I would agree with you! Beauty, however, is outside those parameters and is a very subjective thing. In it's in the eye of the beholder, for which there are no rules or formulas. Many people consider the "Mona Lisa" to be beautiful. I am not one of those people.
Walt, You said:

"What you are attempting to explain and pass on as the requirements for beauty are in fact the accepted rules (learned) for the use of engineering disciplines such as geometry, math, structural engineering. etc."

After reading this I thought of something. Lets relate to the little girl that Marin keeps sighting. An engineer can not just hear the "rules" or see them. They may see them but the rule needs to be explained to be used over and over again. On the other hand the little girl at four years old was using the rules but she didn't know they exisited. Because she could hear them she then formed other music and it was based on the rules without knowing it. Some folks in music have more of a talent for this than others and are said to play by ear. A good example of a music rule that everyone can relat to would be in church when you sing a Hymn and the last notes and words are "Amen". That is called resolving a cord. From a dissonoance (unstable sound) to a consonance (a final or stable sound). Now some folks do not hear the difference, but for most it is pleasing and completes the song. As one progress in music this is taught in Music Theory. But the rule applied long before the student knew it existed. The example is for Western Tonal Music. The rule does not apply to sya music in China or the Far East.

M/V Stella Di Mare
New Bern NC
JD is offline   Reply With Quote