Air Intakes (Don't know their salty name)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LaBomba

Guru
Vessel Name
Looking Glass
Vessel Make
Carver 370 Voyager
Gentlemen, I know one of you can help me. Not sure what the proper term is for the air intakes on my vessel as shown below, so that's the first thing. Secondly, at the Toronto boat show a fellow was there that has some that were actually a chemically treated Stainless steel buffed and polished to an incredible finish that looked like polished brass but does not apparently ever tarnish. He was from the southern USA I believe. Any ideas where I could find something like this??

Attachments

• Air intakes.jpeg
    Air intakes.jpeg
    17.5 KB · Views: 173
Cowl vents attached to Dorade boxes. Designed to drain of any incoming water, catch the breeze while at anchor or underway.

Where to find Cowl Vents?

Those are “Cowl” vents mounted on Dorade boxes.

ABI makes them in SS with a “Titan Tuff Gold” finish.

That maybe what you saw.

Mike

Those are “Cowl” vents mounted on Dorade boxes.

ABI makes them in SS with a “Titan Tuff Gold” finish.

That maybe what you saw.

Mike

Thanks Gentlemen for the quick response, this is exactly what I was looking for. Not cheap but really nice.

Allen, they certainly give your boat some 'character'. If you want to get a gloss SS type finish for the cowl vents, take them to an Electroplating shop. It is not very expensive and they will look great.This is assuming the vents are brass.

Have you thought of painting the Dorade box's with a two pack paint to match the boat.

A final thought, across from me is an old Halvorsen that has three cowl vents on his foredeck, they appear to be electroplated and he has painted the inside of the vents a dark red, looks very classy. I would normally take a photo and post it , however at the moment we are getting the tail end of a big storm coming down from the north, and it is wet and wooly out there. I will post a pic in the next day or so.

Attachments

• Dorade.jpg
    Dorade.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_3870.jpg
    IMG_3870.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 161
Allen, they certainly give your boat some 'character'. If you want to get a gloss SS type finish for the cowl vents, take them to an Electroplating shop. It is not very expensive and they will look great.This is assuming the vents are brass.

Have you thought of painting the Dorade box's with a two pack paint to match the boat.

A final thought, across from me is an old Halvorsen that has three cowl vents on his foredeck, they appear to be electroplated and he has painted the inside of the vents a dark red, looks very classy. I would normally take a photo and post it , however at the moment we are getting the tail end of a big storm coming down from the north, and it is wet and wooly out there. I will post a pic in the next day or so.

Some good ideas Andy, we have a number of things to do in the spring when the snow is gone. Just trying to dress her up a bit. Thanks for the thoughts. Heard you fellows had lots of wild fires back a week or so and now flooding in some areas. Stay safe!

I think the traditional name is "ventilation funnel". They are called that on ships and I don't think they really have a name for them on small boats.

This interesting boat in BC had several funnel type vents and a serious distribution manifold system on the cabin top. His hand rail was extra large dia and his anchor rode appeared to be all cable. Had a bulbous bow too. And I like the windows.

Attachments

• DSCF0550 copy.JPG
    DSCF0550 copy.JPG
    187.4 KB · Views: 164
  • DSCF0549 copy.jpg
    DSCF0549 copy.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
cowl vents

Ships may have ventilation funnels.. but on yacht and boats they are called
cowl vents
HOLLYWOOD

The sketch shows one setup, however in the tropics many folks will add a deck plate directly over the inlet to cut down on air velocity lost from all the turns.

A screening will also cut down on the air volume.

We use a plastic cover plate inside . Helps keep warm in winter, spare covers can be cut & fitted with 12v or 24v computer fans to aid the ventilation.

These are DC but not reversible so two sets will be required if you wish to suck air in or push it out.There quiet and use little juice.

Other folks just hinge the top cover in the rear and with two side pieces use the entire cover as the air scoop

I think the traditional name is "ventilation funnel". They are called that on ships and I don't think they really have a name for them on small boats.

This interesting boat in BC had several funnel type vents and a serious distribution manifold system on the cabin top. His hand rail was extra large dia and his anchor rode appeared to be all cable. Had a bulbous bow too. And I like the windows.

Everything heavy duty on this one Eric. I have this heavy bow rail on my Aquasport as well and it does feel good under hand. Maybe he's doing a little tug boat work on the side with that cable winch lol?

There are a lot of sites on the internet that do refer to the ventilation funnels as cowl vents, at least for smaller boats and I think that is probably the current name for them. You may correct however that ventilation funnels was the traditional name and likely evolved over the years. Found what I wanted anyway, that's the main thing.

Be VERY VERY careful. They could be Viulgarian spies!

Chitty_Chitty_Bang_Bang_Child_Catcher_Spy_Figure_Pack_2_Large.jpeg

"Cowl Vents"

Sounds good to me. I think I've never called them anything but vents.

LaBomba,
Tug work? The winch is on the wrong end for that ... most tug work that is. Some people like SS cable as you can get much longer rodes on a drum. Some fishermen use a length of cable on the boat end of their rode w the reel winches to extend the length but there are several downsides to the cable. I'll not go into that as I don't think anyone here has a reel winch and as far as I know it would be required for cable.

Walt,
Thanks for the drawing of the Cowl Vent water separator box. I've seen them mostly on sailboats.

Last edited:
One component of the "vent" discussion that is missing is the fact that the vents allow air to pass both in and out of the vessel. I've noticed that on a hot day, when opening up my boat, it's not nearly as hot in the boat because of the cowl vents. (Dorade boxes.) This also results in keeping the salon and cabin relatively dry.

Attachments

• Drades.png
    Drades.png
    29 KB · Views: 105
You guy's are providing waaaaaay too many links in my "stuff to consider buying" folder :mad:

In our part of the world they are just called Dorade Vents....simple as that.

I know them as Dorade vents as well. Aren't they named after the Olin Stephens designed "Dorade" , which they first appeared?

I'm pretty sure ABI has been out of business for a couple of years. If you want those vents you should buy them soon if they are still available.

Eric any idea of the length of that boat?

Looks short for a bulbous bow. After all the talk about them being useless on small boats.

Curious if the owner found that to be true.

Sd

Eric

Was them pics that boat at Browns Bay Marina Just North of Symore narrows?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom