Walking Sideways

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Many tugs have inboard turning props. Ship docking tugs will have them frequently due to the strong "Back" (reverse) that they provide. Many general towing tugs employ them as well. They due "walk" better than an outboard turning set-up.

I just saw a new 42 Viking walk 90 degrees away from the dock with about 1/2 knot fair current.

They are outboard turning so I guess inboard turning for better than 90 degrees is good? :D

I can't tell you why other than it is how the water plays off of the rudders (for walking). As far as why they give a good "back", I would assume they are pulling "clean" water when astern. I'm NOT saying that outboard turning wheels won't back or walk, what I'm saying is that inboard turning wheel boats are better in those specific ops. Watch a tug operator in any busy port and observe dockings and undockings. You will see boatmen walking not just light tugs but barges as well. To "walk" the barge, you need momentum (swing) on the tow, and the rudder gets shifted away from the intended direction, with reverse on the inboard side and ahead on the outboard wheel. Before everyone gets their thong in a wad, NOT every barge (or boat) can be made to walk.
Two VERY experienced captains that I know were attending a company required Ship handling simulator course at a VERY well known school. They asked the instructor if the Navy ship (that was on the simulator) could be made to walk. The instructor assured them rather smuggly that it could not be made to walk because it was exactly like the handling characteristics of the ship. Well , they made it walk much to the disbelief of the instructor....he didn't have much to say after that.
Now that all that has been said, should you "walk your boat" just because you can? NO. It is just another tool in the box. It is the most over used manuver when a little bit of rudder would have been just as easy.
Just like "palm Beaching it" (another show off manuever) , walking is sometimes used to impress audiences at Shooters rather than a necessary docking tool.

I can't tell you why other than it is how the water plays off of the rudders (for walking). As far as why they give a good "back", I would assume they are pulling "clean" water when astern.

Not trying to be argumentative but how would a prop turning one way in reverse get any cleaner or less clean water turning the other way in reverse?

Looking at our boat out of the water I don't see how the direction the props turn would make any difference at all to how clean a bite of water they get, in forward or reverse.

image-2544621825.jpg

Last edited:
So what is Palm Beaching it?

Since I am not a naval architect, I don't know the hows and whys of the hydrodynamics involved. Much the same way I don't know how an inverter changes DC input into AC output.

Palm Beaching it is a sport fish boat maneuver Backing down with the operators back to the helm and controls. I would assume it is derived from backing down and keeping the stern pointed to a fish being fought.

I've only read about this, and a long time ago at that, but it was my understanding it worked on the larger, high powered, sport fishing boats. Of course the particular boat also played into the technique. Not all boats would do it. Some required some tweaking, some would do it easily and some not at all.

It won't work on my boat either. Maybe the single screw has something to do with it.

In order for me to see the dock if I am backing in, I have to execute this maneuver, altho' I never knew what it was called. I simply cannot see the boats' stern any other way.

With azimuthing pods and bow thruster, it's a "snap."

The new Volvo IPS drives walk sideways with ease. I get to watch them regularily in the Coastal Crafts which surround me on occasion.

Back
Top Bottom