Autopilot: Raymarine or Garmin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some parts of the ICW crossing, various sounds are in open water, yes indeed. Perhaps I shouldn't have used the term "ocean". I have a human on hand to take the helm for 5 minutes. Somebody is going to be on watch. The AP doesn't have eyes. My AP has the uncanny ability to raise crab pots and other detritus from the deep immediately upon setting it. ;o).

I blame skippers for skipper's inattention, APs are mere enablers, as are plotters.

Some parts of the ICW crossing, various sounds are in open water, yes indeed. Perhaps I shouldn't have used the term "ocean". I have a human on hand to take the helm for 5 minutes. Somebody is going to be on watch. The AP doesn't have eyes. My AP has the uncanny ability to raise crab pots and other detritus from the deep immediately upon setting it. ;o).

I blame skippers for skipper's inattention, APs are mere enablers, as are plotters.

At 10 knots it takes around 2 minutes to go 1/3 of a mile (say to the next mark)...I can fix a sandwich or go to the head in 2 minutes...and with binocs..see all the way to the next mark to ensure there's no pots markers or flotsam....so I use auto all the time in the ICW....but I'm comfortable with it and haven't hit anything in thousands of miles and numerous trips from FL to the Northeast.

Naw, isn't it always the first mates responsibility to pay attention? The skipper just barks

At 10 knots it takes around 2 minutes to go 1/3 of a mile (say to the next mark)...I can fix a sandwich or go to the head in 2 minutes...and with binocs..see all the way to the next mark to ensure there's no pots markers or flotsam....so I use auto all the time in the ICW....but I'm comfortable with it and haven't hit anything in thousands of miles and numerous trips from FL to the Northeast.

One could even throttle back a bit for some extra safety and time.

One could even throttle back a bit for some extra safety and time.

Actually I cruise around 6.5 knots so unless there's a screamin' current...I can usually do BOTH before the next mark...:D

What your saying is that everything works untill it dosen't and then smack, right into an island that jumped out in front of you:)

That is BC Ferries excuse for Queen of the North in a nutshell.

None at all. Looks like Sitex has the exclusive liscencing for North America. Check out the ComNav website. Better yet, give them a call (It's lunch time right now, though), they actually answer the phone.

the 1440 is an option for the 1420 and is a second full function control unit for the second helm station. At least thats what i understood from navcom website. But looking at units for sale the 1440 is another control head with the 2nd station remote $189.00. 1440 and 1420 are almost identicle

Last edited:
Yes you need to fill the empty bag with experience before the bag of luck empties out:rolleyes:

Experience? Self-described competence? Like a BC Ferry skipper would have?

BC Ferries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or a San Francisco Bay Pilot?

Pilot who hit Bay Bridge has most incidents from 2009-11 | Mike Billings | Local | San Francisco Examiner

Cosco Busan pilot charged with pair of crimes - SFGate

Or a Navy minesweeper captain?

US Navy minesweeper runs aground on reef in the Philippines - 12 News KBMT and K-JAC. News, Weather and Sports for SE Texas

Or the captain of the Costa Concordia, or the Staten Island Ferry or the....

well the list goes on.

An extra dose of "experience" is just around the corner for anyone, anytime. No matter how full their bag is.

Experience? Self-described competence? Like a BC Ferry skipper would have?

BC Ferries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or a San Francisco Bay Pilot?

Pilot who hit Bay Bridge has most incidents from 2009-11 | Mike Billings | Local | San Francisco Examiner

Cosco Busan pilot charged with pair of crimes - SFGate

Or a Navy minesweeper captain?

US Navy minesweeper runs aground on reef in the Philippines - 12 News KBMT and K-JAC. News, Weather and Sports for SE Texas

Or the captain of the Costa Concordia, or the Staten Island Ferry or the....

well the list goes on.

An extra dose of "experience" is just around the corner for anyone, anytime. No matter how full their bag is.

well said:thumb:

Greetings,
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity"
Seneca
Roman dramatist, philosopher, & politician (5 BC - 65 AD)

Greetings,
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity"
Seneca
Roman dramatist, philosopher, & politician (5 BC - 65 AD)

so the better prepared the less luck? That explains all the Ah oh's committed by professional pilots in the links provided by another poster. Humm, maybe the correct way is just say..YAHOOOO and jump in feet first no matter what is below.

I've done that before and i am still here so it must work:)

Luck is a fantastic accessory for any boat.

With Murphy Gauges a bit less luck may be required.

Back
Top Bottom