Chafe Gear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Apache II
Vessel Make
1974 Donald Jones
What do you use for chafe protection on you dock lines?

My son is a fireman and the firehouse he is assigned to decomissions old fire hose I have been able to aquire a roll of 1 & 3/4" old fire hose.

The stuff is in two layers an outer canvas and a inner rubberized canvas.

I have seen leather, old garden hose and just plane old used sunbrella.

*what do you use and how do you rig it?

SD

I also have some old firehose about 2" dia. I punched a hole and put a grommet on each end I attached a length of parachute cord to each grommet, the plan is to tie it to the dockline, mine are 3 strand, under one of the strands. I also was able to get some chafe guard fabric tubes which are used to protect hydraulic hose. I rigged them the same way, to be honest I have had them in the hold for several years and never used them.
I have read that in a rainstorm the rubber layer of the fire hose will keep the rope dry and let it heat up during a period of lots of rubbing or flexing. And that heat can weaken the dockline. No idea if that is so or not.
Steve W.

Ditto on the fire hose. Luckily i've never had to test it.

I use commercial chafing protection made from heavy fabric.* Use them only on the bow lines which run through chocks.* The other lines are attached to cleats.

img_55334_0_e0fa42e03609df5f5c305d84d3e228ee.jpg

img_55334_1_ba0dcb1a4270591c5d690033d9d039aa.jpg

-- Edited by markpierce on Wednesday 20th of July 2011 07:30:05 PM

skipperdude wrote:
What do you use for chafe protection on you dock lines?
We ripped off the technique a number of commercial fishermen use around here and that's lengths of clear plastic tubing.* It's actually not a good idea for several reasons but we've been doing this for 13 years and never had a problem.* It's cheap, it's easy, and it's easy to replace.* We've found that in our climate the tubing lasts eight years- plus*before the UV makes it necessary to change it.* I keep meaning to punch a few 1/4"*holes in the tubing but so far have never gotten around to it.

We tried the purpose-made, white*rubber chafe guards a couple of times and were not happy with them at all so we went back to the plastic tubing.

We have a heavy fabric guard on the line we use to clip to a mooring buoy, and I would say a properly fitting fabric guard like this--- canvas, firehose, etc.--- is probably the best way to go.* But so far we've had no reason to change our use of the clear plastic hose on the breast and spring*mooring lines.

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 20th of July 2011 09:00:03 PM

We use the plastic tubing also and the only thing I don't like about it is that most of the time there is lots of condensed water inside the hose. With fire hose or most other tubes one probably just dos'nt see it. I can only assume Marian's 1/4" holes were for ventilation.

Attachments

• sth71541.jpg
    sth71541.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 134
nomadwilly wrote:
I can only assume Marian's 1/4" holes were for ventilation.
*Yeah, you're right, but I've never gotten around to punching them in.* So it's still just a theory.....

I don't think the water inside the tubing*matters any--- we've never experienced any detrimetnal effects from it--- but fabric guards would breathe so there probably isn't any moisture trapped on the inside surface.

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 20th of July 2011 10:45:45 PM

The temperature you tie up may make old garden hose or plastic too brittle to last.

Below freezing many simply crack.

Old fire hose is better at UV resistance than many created products.

The Sudburry style slip on seems to die slowly in the sun , and stays flexible at 0F.

For hurricane ties it better to use chain at the rail , and perhaps repair the boat , than loose the boat .

For a Hurricane maybe fire hose (to spare the boat ) over chain?
Steve W.

Firehose through the chocks*and around pilings. *Garden hose on the aft ladder railing from when we cross stern lines.* I find the most chafing at the cleat ends on the dock.* Thinking about wrapping*the underside of that cleat*in electrical tape.

Besslb wrote:
*I find the most chafing at the cleat ends on the dock.* Thinking about wrapping*the underside of that cleat*in electrical tape.
*Had a similar problem. I took a file to it. Smothed off the underside of a cast Galvanized dock cleat.

I bought a skin of Harley leather from Tandy.* Black, exterior tanning, about 3/16" thick.* Also bought a leather punch and stitch on a very tight wind of leather and it looks very nice.* I used to use plastic tubing, but is doesn't take long before it is butt ugly, so I prefer the leather.* I'm not sure how long it will last, but after 3 months it is indistinguishable from new.

I don't really know. I am still, after 18 years a transient. So every time I go out I get a different slip when I return. Over the winter*I am in the same slip.*

So last winter* is the slip cleat I worked on.

I will check it out this weekend.

SD

Love the file idea.* I might have to try that.*

I think the fire hose idea is a good one but I didn't have access to any and the plastic tube I have used in the past has gone hard and looks ugly. Priced the ones at W Marine, $22 and change for a pair but I was too cheap so I went looking at hardware stores etc. Today I was in Princess Auto a tool and "you name it" mail order supplier in Canada that has a few scattered stores. When I walked past the hydraulic hose and fittings section I said to myself, "self" , they have to have something for chafe protection for hydraulic hoses and, voila. A beautiful mesh tube available in about 4 sizes (the smallest is likely big enough for any of our lines) and available at .99 cents/ft. Cut with a hot knife or soldering gun to prevent fraying, slide on and fasten with the method of your choice. Any hydraulic supplier in your area would likely have the same thing. Another option. Love it! $10 will make me several pairs.

1.13 in. ID Hose Safe-Sleeve sold by the foot | Princess Auto

I think the fire hose idea is a good one but I didn't have access to any and the plastic tube I have used in the past has gone hard and looks ugly. Priced the ones at W Marine, $22 and change for a pair but I was too cheap so I went looking at hardware stores etc. Today I was in Princess Auto a tool and "you name it" mail order supplier in Canada that has a few scattered stores. When I walked past the hydraulic hose and fittings section I said to myself, "self" , they have to have something for chafe protection for hydraulic hoses and, voila. A beautiful mesh tube available in about 4 sizes (the smallest is likely big enough for any of our lines) and available at .99 cents/ft. Cut with a hot knife or soldering gun to prevent fraying, slide on and fasten with the method of your choice. Any hydraulic supplier in your area would likely have the same thing. Another option. Love it! $10 will make me several pairs.

1.13 in. ID Hose Safe-Sleeve sold by the foot | Princess Auto

Excellent idea.

Princess Auto also sells firehose by the foot. several sizes available.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom