1st time cruising BVI.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luckyskiff

Hello all,

I'm taking my better half and a friend on a bareboat powercat cruise in the BVI this spring. This will our first time cruising after many years of boating and offshore fishing.

Can any experienced cruisers offer advice on where to go and what to see or not to waste time on for a trip like this?

We're planning to use this as a learning experience for future long term cruising.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Joe

Are you leaving out of Totola? You will want to goto the Baths. We really liked Soppers Hole and Foxy's . Anegada is good trip and nice overnight stay .

Oh my gosh, lobster on the beach in Anegada!!! Best meal ever. If I have time later I'll post my tuna sandwich story. You will have a good time wherever you go in the BVIs. We've been twice and I REALLY want to go again. Such fun and easy passages between islands, other than Anegada--which is not as bad as the charter cos make it out to be.

It would be cheaper to provision the boat in ST Thomas if you can. She's right the Lobster on the beach in Anegada are great .The place doesn't look much but the food was terrific. Going in and out of customs can be slow. Don't rush them remember they are on Island time. The rum is better there and cheaper than Coke.

Get the cruising guide to the Virgin Islands by Fine Edge Publishing. We used that on two trips there. As far as what to do, that depends on what you like. Fun watering holes, or quiet spots? There are plenty of both.

Foxys and Corsairs on Jost van Dyke are good drinking and eating spots respectively. Diamond Cay is a nice quiet spot. Tortola has Sopers Hole at one end, which is cool as you can do some provisioning and drinking there. On Virgin Gorda the Bitter End Yacht Club is very nice, with Leverick Bay a bit less expensive. The Baths are awesome - but for a less crowded spot (just two mooring buoys) go to Fallen Jerusalem just off the SW tip of VG. Cooper Island Beach Club is a nice quiet spot to relax and still get a nice dinner ashore. And of course there's The William Thornton - aka the Willy T. - in the Bight on Norman Island. That's probably the rowdiest place in the BVI... And don't forget to get a "cheeseburger in paradise" in Cane Garden Bay on Tortola. Of course, Bomba's Shack is right around the corner from CGB, another party place. And lastly there's Marina Cay, home of Pusser's Rum, off the SE tip of Great Camanoe Island.

Those are the places I'm familiar with. Can't wait to go back and discover more! You'll have fun no matter what you do.

If you find yourself in US waters, Leinster Bay on the north side of St. John's offers a lot. Sometimes secluded anchorage, wild donkeys, the Annaberg ruins and wonderful snorkling at Waterlemon Cay.

Thanks very much everyone for the replies. I'll be marking all your suggestions on my chart. I especially want to go to Anegada. It doesn't seem to be a very challenging cruise at all.

Tuna Sandwich Story

Second trip to BVI/ Anegada. Friends convinced us we HAD to go snorkeling on back side of island. Went to shore in the AM to figure out transportation, figuring we'd go after lunch. Found out jeep left in less than hour and that was our only way to get there. walked into the restaurant at the north end of the beach, forget the name but they have a fishing business as well with numerous fishing boats. We asked if there was anyway to get to go lunches made to take with us. Woman said she was there alone, cook wasn't in yet as it was so early. We said, maybe just something quick and easy, like tuna sandwiches? We got the big sigh and she went in the back.... FOREVER later she came out with two styrofoam to go boxes in a bag. We gave her a visa and got the big sigh again, twenty dollar minimum on credit. So we asked for some beers. I think she put in three to make it $20. We went out to the jeep, wondering what took so long to make tuna sandwiches but whatever, at least they were cheap. We got to the snorkel beach and opened up our boxes. Ok, we were expecting can o' tuna mixed with mayo, slapped on some bread. Instead they were fresh grilled tuna fillets on french rolls and let me tell you they were the best damn fish sandwiches we have ever had :thumb:. The beach / snorkeling was great too. :whistling:

Here is a copy of our charter on a catamaran sailboat 2012
05/12/12 Sunsail Shorebase, Wickman's Cay II, Road Town, Totrola

05/13/12 Road Town, Tortola
Snorkel the the "Indians"
Snorkel the Treasure Caves
Mooring ball - "The Bight", Norman Island

05/14/12 Norman Island
Soggy Dollar Bar, White Bay, Jost Von Dyke
Foxy's, Great Harbor, Jost Van Dyke
Mooring ball - Diamond Cay, Jost Van Dyke

05/15/12 Diamond Cay, Jost Van Dyke
Bubbly Pool, Diamond Cay, Jost Van Dyke
Swim at Sandy Spit
Snorkel at Monkey Point, Gauna Island
catch a mooring ball for a short stay in Marina Cay
Mooring ball - Trellus Bay, Beef Island

05/16/12 Beef Island
The "Baths", Virgin Gorda
Mooring ball - Leverick Bay, South Sound, Virgin Gorda

05/17/12 Leverick Bay
Fuel dock, take on water, ice, and groceries
Mooring ball - Bitter End Yacht Club, North Sound, Virgin Gorda

05/18/12 Bitter End Yacht Club
Snorkel "The Dogs"
Mooring ball - Manchionell Bay, Cooper Island

05/19/12 Cooper Island
Sunsail Shorebase, Wickman's Cay II, Road Town, Totrola
Great place to charter I am sure you will get lots of advice on this forum

You may want to check with your charter company, back in the 90's when we first chartered in the BVI they would not allow any of their boats to go to Anegada unless part of a flotilla.

Contrary to most reports our party was not impressed with the "lobster on the beach". We rented some kind of small vehicle and toured the island. Cow Wreck Beach was a great stop, small restaurant/bar run by a very nice lady. Great food, cold beer and interesting stories. We returned there several times on subsequent charters and last time with our own boat.

It is one of the best sails in the BVI.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom