AIS systems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any thoughts on broad band for recreational users?

I think they're very cool. The resolution rivals much larger units (with much higher power).

Comparing the Garmin GMR18HD for example, the Garmin has a 5.0° horizontal and a 25° vertical beamwidth and a range out to 48nm. The Lowrance RA-1800 Broadband has a 5.2° horizontal beamwidth and 25° vertical with a 18nm range..

They're very close in performance with the Garmin edging out the Lowrance in range. But... the new Lowrance 4G takes that a step further though and gives you 2.6° horizontally and range out to 32nm now. It's priced at about where the Garmin 24HD is, but beats them by a full degree of horizontal resolution (Garmin is 3.6° horizontal). (I have the GMR24 myself)

I'm am curious how the lower power X-band digital Radars will act with more of them around, but for now, they're VERY nice units from what I've heard and seen in the specs.

I know Garmin makes HD Radar... but haven't heard of their broadband one. I would be very interested as I am in the Simrad/Lowrance ones.

if you get "caught" by weather you need to learn more about weather as weather forecasting while not exact is only about nice to uncomfortable...life threatening and you just don't get it.

chuckle......u reminded me a a USAF colonel friend a meteorologist. He was always giving me lectures regarding the weather and would say, trust me Britt I know what i am talking about....so funny...One time he talked me into a trip into the Sierras when the weather looked ominous, i figured if he could send bombers safely around the world he surely would be able to handle the weather for our little trip. Well we were stuck in Greyhorse valley for two days until the snow stopped.
:) the Colonel just retired and wants to go do some fishing for tuna. The question is, should i follow his direction or trust the coast gaurd?....I can just see it now......:popcorn:
The point being only God knows for sure, man's forcasts are educated guesses at best, but better than a prayer.....or are they?

Back to the orginal topic.:rolleyes:

Was at the Seattle boat show Saturday and Sunday. There is no VHF that will send, they can only received, so a AIS box is required to send. However the AIS box has a GPS built in, will receive and send. The Sitex box is the cheapest, 300 bucks, and they also make most of the other brand AIS box just packaged different. The Sitex will connect to most newer chart packages and newer VHF radios Furnuo, Garmin, Raymaine, Nobeltec. :thumb:

Sitex doesn't build the Garmin unit. Something else to keep in mind is the GPS / VHF antenna. The Sitex has an internal antenna, but if you want a more accurate external that's an additional cost (the Garmin AIS 600 includes the GPS antenna). The Sitex requires a dedicated VHF antenna,the Garmin works inline and is switched (no extra VHF antenna needed).

$300 would be a good price on the Sitex. When I bought mine they were in the $550 range. The Garmin AIS 600 is in the $850 range online.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom