View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 10:12 PM   #12
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Something important to consider when towing is that the hull speed of your boat and your dinghy is WAY DIFFERENT.

A full disp hull parent boat will need a dinghy that is at least somewhat semi-planing as it's usual speed will be considerably higher than it's hull speed. So Whitehall and other types w their transom fully out of the water are full displacement and should be avoided. They can be towed but lacking directional stability and w their bows high in the air.

The yellow boat is a dinghy of mine that is semi-disp and good for about 6 or 7 knots. That makes it well matched to Willy, my 6 knot boat. With the clinker style hull it is very dry running. That's important in a dinghy and few deliver.

The bottom pic is of my 16' aluminum skiff that would serve as a great dinghy for a large boat but there are 11' Al skiffs that are light and easily driven. They can be beached and the engine quickly removed. Then the small (5 to 8hp 2 stroke) OB and the boat (independently) can be easily packed up the beach.

Lots of options.

The more I look at that Port-a-Boat the more I like it.
Attached Images

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote