Replacing Cabin Sole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dom61

Vessel Name
Brandi Jo
Vessel Make
1975 Marine Trader 34
I am in the planing stages of replacing my cabin sole on my 1975 MT Dc 34 and am haveing problems finding the fastiners that hold the cabinets and such to the walls and floor if anyone has any info that would be a great help Dom

Greetings,
Mr. Dom61. An admirable task! What sort of fasteners are you looking for for those of us who are unfamiliar with your MT 34. Wouldn't they just be screws and cleats of some sort? Any pictures?

I have no idea how they are being held in place I can see nothing in plain site Dom

Greetings,
Well, it could very well be that they are glassed in as Mr. Larry M suggests. I know the cabinetry on my boat, while not a MT, is fastened to the hull by strips of FG that were installed at the factory bonding the cabinet unit to the hull. Bulkheads, as far as I know, are done the same way.
Is the floor damaged to the extent that you have to remove the cabinets to repair underneath them? Again, any pictures?

Yes it is bad under the cabnets and needs replacing I will look to see if they are molded in but they do not seem to be Dom

I have 2 but not of that quality this is a old boat and by far not the first job to be done on it I also am renovating my Home on land during the winter months Dom

Dom, Our MT34 appears to have the cabinets glued to the subfloor and the teak strips on the sole are cut right to them. There is no tabbing etc. If you pull the drawers or open a door at the bottom, you will see that there is nothing fastening them to the floor. The Fien tool will be of great value in removing them. Chuck

Greetings,
Mr. CC. That's exactly my line of thought as well. Any tabs can be run through, the hull or house and the cabinets can be cleaned up after the cabinets are removed. Installation may be the reverse of removal. I think next time I'm in Harbor Freight I'm just gonna look...Please keep us informed Mr. 61. I have a few tabs that need addressing and looking for ideas.

Everything on our GB is screwed or bolted in place. But they got very clever with some of the fastener placement. Removing drawers, tops, panels, etc. usually reveals how it's all held together.

I have no idea if this at all applies to Marine Traders but in our experience it can take some sleuthing to find the attachment hardware.

As in your MT, the builders of my C&L did the floor before the cabinets, so all are screwed to the floor. Sounds like a different floor though, as mine is Parquet, and under the cabinets is not finished, or in places has white paint on it.
If yours is Parquet, it comes in 12"square panels, on a paper backing, so you can get one or more of the pieces up if that is all you need to fix, and replace with new.

I have real wood flooring but the sub is De-laminating so it all has to come out thanks for the input, Also I did get my multi-tools from harbor use em abuse em and chuck them they are cheap

RTF

Sorry, but you are going to need to look yourself. I have a sq ft or so but no source.

Greetings,
Thanks Mr. koliver, I thought you might have found a source I missed in my research. I spent a bit of time in the not so recent past trying to source teak parquet to no avail. I realize I could have pieces custom made but... Thanks anyway.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom