Registration/Documentation ? with a twist.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Theta

If one is cruising is it necessary to register or document our boat. We will not own a home any longer and probably use parents home in FL. as mailing address. Assuming we don't have to how long can we stay in one port before we would be required to register. Now here's the twist my wife is a US citizen but I am an Australian citizen with permanent residency in the US - I know this precludes me from owning a documented boat - last time we had to document for financing reasons the boat was titled in my wife's name only. Also how do you avoid paying sales tax on a boat purchase? Are there certain states that charge and others that don't? I know Oregon doesn't which is where I have been registering my trailer boats for the past 15yrs.

Shane,
Have you bought a boat yet? I think you had an interest in High Life, did you ever look at it?

Tim. I'm still about 6-12 months from buying - Having shoulder surgery next week so once that heals is when I will get really serious. Just trying to get a good feel for the market now so I'm not a complete idiot. Was'nt really interested in High Life, just popped up on one of my searches and then rang a bell when you were posting about it.

It is not necessary to document a US-owned boat for cruising in US and Canadian waters although there are some advantages to doing so. If you intend to do some long-distance cruising, say to Central or South America, documentation may be a requirement for entering some countries' ports.

Registration is necessary in many states if the boat is to be home-ported there. For example, documented or not, a boat that "lives" in Washington State must be registered with the state and an annual registration fee paid. If your boat is documented, it must still be registered but you will not display your state registration number on the boat. You will, however, have to display the annual state registration sticker on your boat.

Each state has its own requirements with regards to registration, however, so you'll have to determine the requirements in your home state. In Washington, a boat does not have to be registered if it spends at least six months out of the state. For the first two winters we had our boat we sublet a slip in Bellingham from a fellow who took his Ocean Alexander to a marina near Sidney, BC for six months of the year.

Theta:* Nice Lake Powell picture. I keep a US documented vessel in Canada. I purchased it in Washington and paid no sales tax in either country*or annual licensing fee. If you* buy in Oregon (no sales tax) and document in US you'd be* covering all the bases. I don't remember if you must be a US citizen to document in US, but with your wife a citizen you are OK.

And while you may not pay sales tax where you buy it, most states will require you to pay a "usage fee"(coincidently at the same rate as the sales tax) if you stay in the state for a certain period of time. This is enforced on the water by the lack of a state sticker. So don't think you can get around sales tax just by buying out of state. They will get you at the State Reg office or they will get you on the water.

Baker wrote:

And while you may not pay sales tax where you buy it, most states will require you to pay a "usage fee"(coincidently at the same rate as the sales tax) if you stay in the state for a certain period of time. This is enforced on the water by the lack of a state sticker. So don't think you can get around sales tax just by buying out of state. They will get you at the State Reg office or they will get you on the water.
But if I purchase a boat in Florida, don't I have 90 days to outfit her and then leave the state before I have to pay any taxes? Is it similar in other states? Are there some states that require you to pay sales tax period, regardless of where you are taking the boat? Be nice to know which states to avoid - I'd much rather spend the $ on upgrades.

-- Edited by Theta on Monday 25th of January 2010 08:31:40 PM

sunchaser wrote:

Theta:* Nice Lake Powell picture. I keep a US documented vessel in Canada. I purchased it in Washington and paid no sales tax in either country*or annual licensing fee. If you* buy in Oregon (no sales tax) and document in US you'd be* covering all the bases. I don't remember if you must be a US citizen to document in US, but with your wife a citizen you are OK.
Thanks. That was this October at the mouth of the San Juan river. It was great, the lake was empty, no wind and mid 80's - absolutely perfect! Yes you definitly have to be a citizen to document, allready been through that 3 or 4 boats ago. I won't be buying in Oregon, wrong coast for me. I may register there though as they let you register there by mail even if you are not a resident. That has saved me about 25K over the last 10 years. Plus their registration fees are very low at $3/ ft for 2 yrs.

But if I purchase a boat in Florida, don't I have 90 days to outfit her and then leave the state before I have to pay any taxes? Is it similar in other states? Are there some states that require you to pay sales tax period, regardless of where you are taking the boat? Be nice to know which states to avoid - I'd much rather spend the $ on upgrades.

You will need some "papers" to prove you are the owner.

Any state simple registration will do , just KEEP MOVING as they will charge you where ever you stop if long enough.

In CT the boatyards and marinas are supposed to send in a form if you are residing more than 90 days.

Other states may be similar.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom