How many here boat with dogs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We thought of that kind of system when our border terrier decided to pee on a faux-grass doormat in the cockpit. We found a rubbermaid storage tub the top of which was about 2 feet long, turned the top upside down, cut the doormat to fit inside the top, and attached one end of the doormat to the tub top with zip-ties.

Whenever she needed to, Scrappy would happily pee on it rather than on the deck, and it was easy to dump and rinse overboard. It did need a good scrubbing once in a while to remove deposits.

She rarely pooped on the pee-pad, but picking up poop from the cockpit deck and tossing it overboard (only in appropriate locations) or into the head wasn't too much trouble. She knew to go to the cockpit to relieve herself, and we never "had to" take her ashore.

Last edited:
Merlin has outlasted me - 2 days. We have Astroturf (with his poop scent) and puppypads but he has so far endured longer than I. If we're anchored, he will swim ashore on his own to go potty (if we tell him it's OK), but so far, no poop on the boat.

Are there people that boat without them?

My question is how you all have trained them to go on deck? We just switched to trawler speed and we never get anywhere if we limit our running time to the duration of their bladder. Back when we were doing 18 knots we could actually get somewhere but not at 7!

We've tried grass pads, we've tried capturing some of their urine and putting it on the pad, we've pushed them until they cry in discomfort. Maybe we just haven't pushed them far enough often enough but we don't want to hurt them either.

Any secrets out there??

Attachments

• IMG_0218.jpg
    IMG_0218.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 88
  • Liberdade on Pamlico Sound 3.jpg
    Liberdade on Pamlico Sound 3.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 87
To start with, everything I have read about dog behavior and the vets we've talked to says that dogs DO NOT like the smell of poop and so avoid it like the plague if they can. So putting your dog's poop smell on something hoping that will encourage them to go repels them, it doesn't encourage them.

We have never tried to train our dogs to go on deck. We praised them if they did and still do with our current dog.. As a result while they always preferred to go ashore, as our current dog does as well, if they've needed to go they would and would pee on the deck without hesitation. But only on extremely rare occasions have any of them ever pooped on the boat unless they had an upset stomach. And when they did they would not go near that spot again for weeks.

We don't mind taking the dog ashore-- it's good for us, too, to get off the boat for a bit even after dark. We usually make our last run to shore for the day about 9 pm. Our current dog went out on the boat the second day we had him at 8 weeks. So he had no compunction about going on deck. As he grew older, however, he stopped pooping on the deck unless it was an emergency. But he still prefers going to shore in the dinghy as he's learned that besides being a bathroom break he also gets to play and swim.

image-1088261745.jpg

Are there people that boat without them?

My question is how you all have trained them to go on deck? We just switched to trawler speed and we never get anywhere if we limit our running time to the duration of their bladder. Back when we were doing 18 knots we could actually get somewhere but not at 7!

We've tried grass pads, we've tried capturing some of their urine and putting it on the pad, we've pushed them until they cry in discomfort. Maybe we just haven't pushed them far enough often enough but we don't want to hurt them either.

Any secrets out there??

Dogs will adapt if need be. They will train their master as needed if they can. For instance the PWD's were out on a fishing boat for several days at a time. These were row boats not power (circa 1400's). They were in the Atlantic Ocean. They did not go to shore. You have to out wait them. Easier said than done I know.

As a side note, the saying "being the lead dog is good" has several meanings. Not only does the scenery change but the dogs on a sled team eat ice and snow on the run for water to drink and they pee and poop on the run as well. Lead dog always has white snow to drink and nothing to dodge. Just a fact.

Last edited:
To start with, everything I have read about dog behavior and the vets we've talked to says that dogs DO NOT like the smell of poop and so avoid it like the plague if they can. So putting your dog's poop smell on something hoping that will encourage them to go repels them, it doesn't encourage them.

We have never tried to train our dogs to go on deck. We praised them if they did and still do with our current dog.. As a result while they always preferred to go ashore, as our current dog does as well, if they've needed to go they would and would pee on the deck without hesitation. But only on extremely rare occasions have any of them ever pooped on the boat unless they had an upset stomach. And when they did they would not go near that spot again for weeks.

We don't mind taking the dog ashore-- it's good for us, too, to get off the boat for a bit even after dark. We usually make our last run to shore for the day about 9 pm. Our current dog went out on the boat the second day we had him at 8 weeks. So he had no compunction about going on deck. As he grew older, however, he stopped pooping on the deck unless it was an emergency. But he still prefers going to shore in the dinghy as he's learned that besides being a bathroom break he also gets to play and swim.

As to the first part of your post I have known more than one dog that was coprophiliac.
Seem fairly common. In my humble experience.

SD

When we got our current dog, Diesel, at 6 weeks we also got a faux grass pad and tray for home and another for the boat. So from puppy size we persisted catching him about to wee and put him on the pad when about to do so at home and on the boat. He got the idea and now that he is 2 years old he uses the pad if he is confined and cant get out in the yard or off the boat. No problem with wees but a bit hit and miss for poos. He does still hold on preferring to "go" on land so when on the boat we get him onto land 3 times a day. By and large the pads work however they do pong after a while so regular washing/cleaning is needed. Interestingly he must prefer the smell of a hint of wees as from time to time we find him lying down on the pad. We do try to discourage that however. By and large the pads work for us..

looks familiar

Looks like a family meal when we get the kids and grand-kids together.... I don't use a whip.. it's sort of cruel..I have them trained with a whistle.. I find it a lot safer!!!!! Who Let The Hounds Out :confused: ??

No dog but I've got a boat cat :)
Here's a picture of a mates boat dog, Timmy

Sent from my iPad using Trawler

Attachments

• image-2292253455.jpg
    image-2292253455.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 84
  • image-418662638.jpg
    image-418662638.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 74
  • image-302195139.jpg
    image-302195139.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
We boat with a Labradoodle and a Cocker.

We've boated with dogs from day one. Sometimes one, sometimes two. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Attachments

• 007_4A.jpg
    007_4A.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 023_20A.jpg
    023_20A.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 020_17A.jpg
    020_17A.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 027_24A.jpg
    027_24A.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 81
Well we found out this wekend that our cat will do just fine other than hair all over everything.

One of our friends told us you can train a small dog to use a kitty litter box! Really? Has anyone tried this?

My two are always with us but we just bought a boat this fall and as soon as the weather improves a bit we are off to the north coast of B.C. Let's hope the kids like boating. Ralph and Ginger liked trucking so we shall see

Attachments

• image-4097953247.jpg
    image-4097953247.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 90
Well we found out this wekend that our cat will do just fine other than hair all over everything.

One of our friends told us you can train a small dog to use a kitty litter box! Really? Has anyone tried this?

Mate you can by training aids to assist the cat to piss and Sh!t in the head.

We'll now be boating with this guy. Kids finally are old enough and responsible enough (?) to look after. Have had a few Goldens years ago, but thought a mid sized dog would be easier to get in and out of the dink and take to shore. He's supposed to get to be 25-30lbs so should be manageable

Attachments

• 100MEDIA_IMAG0428 (2).jpg
    100MEDIA_IMAG0428 (2).jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 88
What about life vests for your dogs... type and cost?

We'll now be boating with this guy. Kids finally are old enough and responsible enough (?) to look after. Have had a few Goldens years ago, but thought a mid sized dog would be easier to get in and out of the dink and take to shore. He's supposed to get to be 25-30lbs so should be manageable

Now that is cute.....Name him Cruiser!!

Greetings,
Awwww.....Any particular breed? In response to Mr. Marin's comment regarding canines not liking the smell of poop. Well, I've witnessed coprophagy numerous times. Just sayin' Mr. Marin.

Greetings,
Awwww.....Any particular breed? In response to Mr. Marin's comment regarding canines not liking the smell of poop. Well, I've witnessed coprophagy numerous times. Just sayin' Mr. Marin.

Not to mention where dogs put their noses anytime they meet one another . . .

(We're still on the Trawler Forum, right?) :lol:

He's supposed to get to be 25-30lbs so should be manageable

The breed of dog we've had for decades now averages 40 to 50 pounds and they have all been very manageable on our boat. We lift them from the aft deck down to the dinghy and back up the same way and have had no problems at all with this. Your 25-30 pound dog will fit very well into the "boating thing." Congratulations. We've found that a dog can add a lot to the boating experience of everyone on board.

Greetings,

Probably should have said "normal dogs.":) Actually I've read that coprophagy is caused by a deficiency of some sort in the dog's diet or health and they are driven to do this by this deficiency. Don't know if that's a fact, but I've read and heard this from vets for years.

But the poop-repells thing is something I've heard from our vet, other vets, and read in numerous books about dog behavior. So you'll have to take it up with all those folks if you don't agree. I'm just the messenger. :)

Plus all our dogs including the current one have avoided poop like the plague and have never "gone" where there is other poop, including their own, anywhere near them.

We got our last one from AMazon (or at least from one of the companies which sell through AMazon) for $20 - and that with fluorescent strips, lift handle, leash ring etc. There's really no excuse not to buy them nowadays!

We got our last one from AMazon (or at least from one of the companies which sell through AMazon) for $20 - and that with fluorescent strips, lift handle, leash ring etc. There's really no excuse not to buy them nowadays!

We got ours at PetsMart, darned if I can remember the brand. But it wasn't much more than $20-$30. You definitely want one with the handle. I believe the handle is so you can snag it with a boat-hook. But it also works really well as a basic dog handle to pick up the hound to get her on or off the boat, up to the flybridge, etc.

Attachments

• dscn1248.jpg
    dscn1248.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 230

We have two but rarely use them. If you get one, the best ones have some sort of support under the dog's chest. Ours have a heavy mesh panel that goes under the dog. Even though we almost never use them we keep one of them in the main cabin when we're underway so it's easy to get to.

But while we rarely use a vest we always have a strong harness on the dog. This is important because it will minimize the risk of injury and spine damage if you have to lift the dog out of the water.

One reason we rarely use a vest is that we never let the dog out on deck if it's at all rough. Even though our boat has relatively high bulwarks we don't want the boat to lurch the dog off balance to the point where he could go over.

And when we do let the dog out we keep an eye on him. Fortunately both the dogs we've had since getting the GB have tended to go to the foredeck when they're outside, and usually jump up on top of the fore-cabin. So they've been pretty easy to keep an eye on.

Attachments

• Radar4.jpg
    Radar4.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 89
  • P1060375.jpg
    P1060375.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 83
Merlin has an expensive West marine vest, but I've never put it on him. Being part Poodle and part Golden Retriever he floats like a cork and swims like a wakeless snake.
IMAG1537.jpg

And due to Big Duck's stairs
IMAG0348.jpg

Merlin comes and goes as he pleases while we're trailering
IMAG0219.jpg

And makes the round trip ashore and back on his own to go potty at anchor.
IMAG1409.jpg

He's eventually going to have to learn to go on deck, but so far he's outlasted me.

Available at marine chandlers, check the catalogues (or as we sometimes say after an advert featuring 2 animated dogs screened years ago,"cattledogs").

We have 2 dogs and we liveaboard full time. Both of our dogs have life jackets and they wear them if we let them loose on the boat unsupervised, or when docking. We like the life jackets from PetSmart ( the brand is Outward Hound).

Both of our dogs have fallen off the dock and/or boat at one time or another. Both can swim so that's not the issue. Most dogs that drown on boats do so because they get tired if they can't get aboard or get to shore. So since I haven't been able to train mine to get on the swim platform (which is very high on our boat) they either wear life jackets, or are supervised, or are sometimes tethered when we are docking. If we are outside and the aren't wearing life jackets, we make sure our dogs wear a harness so we could hook them with a boat hook.

Attachments

• image-3800082595.jpg
    image-3800082595.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 82
Back
Top Bottom