Used Parts and Hurricane Sandy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptTom

Guru
Vessel Make
Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Three observations merged in my feeble mind yesterday: One, my "wish list" for equipment on my next boat keeps growing. Two, every boat I've looked at is missing one or more expensive item from my list. Three, I keep seeing pictures of heaps of boats destroyed (but not necessarily sunk) by Hurricane Sandy.

There must be bone yards full of totaled boats.

Does anyone scour these, pulling off used but still functional equipment? Some parts are still good even if they were briefly submerged. Others could be pulled from boats that blew ashore but were never water damaged inside.

Three observations merged in my feeble mind yesterday: One, my "wish list" for equipment on my next boat keeps growing. Two, every boat I've looked at is missing one or more expensive item from my list. Three, I keep seeing pictures of heaps of boats destroyed (but not necessarily sunk) by Hurricane Sandy.

There must be bone yards full of totaled boats.

Does anyone scour these, pulling off used but still functional equipment? Some parts are still good even if they were briefly submerged. Others could be pulled from boats that blew ashore but were never water damaged inside.

I have several thousand dollars of spare parts from a boat the same as mine that was destroyed by hurricane Katrina and yes Sandy damaged boats and parts are available. Here are a couple of sites but maybe someone in the New York area would have more insight.

Tru-Markets To Sell Storm Damaged Boats from Hurricane Sandy in Online Auctions

Boats damaged by Hurricane Sandy up for auction - Sun Sentinel

I really don't have room for an entire parts boat. I was thinking maybe some enterprising person would have rummaged through the boneyards or bought wrecks to part out. My interest would be big-ticket items like a watermaker or autopilot components. There must be a bunch of them out there that will otherwise never get used.

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on some of the "gate hardware" used on the teak rails of our GulfStar.... they aren't the same as other boats use...in fact if you or anyone needs some of the hardware like Hatteras used.... message me. It's diameter is smaller than mine.....

I'm a shopper for used parts for various projects including booms, masts, port lights, and large fiberglass pieces like arches and pilothouse cuts. I find most of what I'm looking for on places like Craigslist with somewhat time-consuming searches. Usually the parts are not well described or in with a bunch of other junk. Here in FL, there are some salvage outfits like Salorman's in Ft. Lauderdale and Don's in Clearwater. Then it helps to call and simply say "keep an eye out for" and they usually do it if it's worth their while. My two cents.

Whatever happened to that "sticky" that was on the old TF software? There was a list of used parts folks. Is it still around?

That's it. Just buried down in those 12 pages of postings.

On City Island the local boat junk dealer never removed anything.

As wooden boats died either the owner or yard would do the removal.

Today I'm not sure an insurance company , the boats owner, has the skillset or knowledge to know what to value, or how to remove it.

O
Today I'm not sure an insurance company , the boats owner, has the skillset or knowledge to know what to value, or how to remove it.

Well said, and with the costs of disposal for the toxins contained in or painted on the surfaces of our boats, I don't wonder that droves of investors aren't waiting in line to start new boat junk-yard businesses.

I don't wonder that droves of investors aren't waiting in line to start new boat junk-yard businesses.

What would be the guess?

5 years and say 50 to 100 "permits" to obtain from the Burorats?

Perhaps 300 "meetings"?

At one of the local used parts and consignment stores, Bacon Sails, it was explained that the modern parts are not worth salvaging, too cheaply made compared to the earlier decades.

At one of the local used parts and consignment stores, Bacon Sails, it was explained that the modern parts are not worth salvaging, too cheaply made compared to the earlier decades.

Seriously? I have trouble wrapping my head around that.

Seems like if they were cheaply made, they would break more often and the market for replacement parts would be up.

That was their statement, and for the most part it looks valid. Personally I look for older winches, but newest electronics. Think of the most current rocna anchor failure as an example of what is happening to the parts. I would buy an old anchor rather than a new one, with certain exceptions.

Just off the top of my head, even a boat that's been submerged still might have a good steering wheel, port lights, railings, anchors, rode, fenders, bimini poles, cleats, deck fill plates and covers... I could go on.

And many times the boat wasn't fully submerged. There may be electronics from the flybridge, overhead light fixtures, navigation lights, horns, curtains, stoves, distribution panels, etc.

Even if the engines were toast there may be salvageable parts. Exhaust risers come to mind. Possibly even parts from watermakers and autopilots might still be usable.

Then there's the tanks, windshields, windows, you get the point.

Back
Top Bottom