what is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That would have been nice. But actually they had about 1,450 hours on them. If you can master the math I bet you can figure out why.:)

Marin, your post gave the impression that maybe the engines had been overhauled or replaced, the usual reason for reseting the hours meters. If you had taken a minute to think you would have understood the reason for my question.

No, one of the original hour meters had broken so both were replaced with new units. Since I've stated a bazillion times in all sorts of posts that our engines are original to the boat and have never been out of it or overhauled I figured I didn't need to say it yet again.:)

I don't think it's common to replace an hour meter when an engine is overhauled. The hour reading at the time of the overhaul is noted and entered in the maintenance log/owners manual but the meter(s) continue to be used. At least that's been the case with the airplanes I've dealt with and the few people I happen to know who had engines replaced or overhauled. They just carried on with the same hour meters.

But maybe it is more common than I think to replace an hour meter when an engine is overhauled or changed out.

Last edited:
Hour meters are only good for logging time for service, You cant judge engine condition by Hr meter, <example> One guys 1000 hrs is @ 3000 RPM while the next guys 1000 hrs is @ 1800, The 3000 RPM engine will have more ware, A fast and easy test for most small Diesels < under 500 cid > Requires a dial indicator with a magnetic base and a little muscle, with the engine off push the crank shaft in toward the stern, set up the dial indicator on the harmonic damper and zero the dial, pull the crank back forward and record the movement, check it to see if its within the thrust bearing specs, If its toward the larger end of the spec the engine has a lot of ware no matter what the hour meter states. This is very important to check on boats that the engine is installed on a steep angle, not so important with down angle gears.

Almost forgot... Hey Dan on the Delia Rosa... you might want to check the alignment on your starboard engine and look @ the outboard engine mounts, its hard to be sure form the picture but something doesn't look right :thumb:

4020-albums70-picture329.jpg

The old girl
4020-albums70-picture334.jpg

upper helm station

4020-albums70-picture337.jpg

My camera phone is goffy please excuse the color casts. This is the aft cabin hatch and one of the few areas of teak on this vessel
4020-albums70-picture332.jpg

this is one of the doors to the main salon more teak. Most of the teak looks almost like new and on a 34 year old vessel.

4020-albums70-picture340.jpg

another shot of the deck.

4020-albums70-picture331.jpg

engine room liner floor with a piece of plywood scrap for what reason i don't know

4020-albums70-picture333.jpg

Lazerette deck

4020-albums70-picture330.jpg

come home motor pulley on main shaft. This is connected via a belt to a jack shaft which is connected to a 10hp electric motor powered by the generator via another dual belt system

Last edited:
4020-albums70-picture329.jpg

The old girl
4020-albums70-picture334.jpg

Don't like wearing sunglasses. To reduce glare/brightness, had ordered the Coot with a straw-colored roof for the forward cabin.

232323232%7Ffp635%3C2%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3A3%3A34%3B5%3A336nu0mrj

Don't like wearing sunglasses. To reduce glare/brightness, had ordered the Coot with a straw-colored roof for the forward cabin.

232323232%7Ffp635%3C2%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3A3%3A34%3B5%3A336nu0mrj

But the Coot is a yatch so much larger than anything i could aford:) I can see why that would be neccessary. But your right, I have experianced problem with glare on boats before with too much white.

Hey, i just realized that the veiw in the picture you posted reminds me of a stripper hole down below Sherman Island

Last edited:
Hey, i just realized that the veiw in the picture you posted reminds me of a stripper hole down below Sherman Island

Are these your basic take-off-their-clothes-in-a-smokey-room strippers or are they the much more classy pole-dance strippers? And even more importantly, in this day and age of increased restrictions, do the strippers in this particular hole offer lap dances?

Because if they do it could explain why Mark seems to hang around in his boat down there a lot.

But regardless of which type of strippers they are or the services they offer, I'm betting that RTF will come up with a meaningful and insightful video clip illustrating this particular "stripper hole."

Last edited:
OMG! You guys know I don't post much: perhaps a hundred per year for the last five years or so...but I sure love this forum.

Oh come on, now RT. You can do better than that. Not even Harpo putting his leg over that lady's whatever it was?

Skipping spell check could get a guy beat up, I'm thinking.

Back to the sea strainer...that was this thread, I think...a tip I got here: remove that plastic sight glass and soak it in vinegar and it will be clear again. Mine were BLACK and now I can see.

Not gonna help 45 with the fist fight......

bfloyd4445Hey said:
I may regret this, but just what does "stripper hole" mean over there?
Looks like a lot of boat; like having get home power. Make sure that strainer is not typical of condition. Careful inspection and survey.

Greetings,
I THINK, at least I HOPE, what Mr.45 was alluding to was an area of particularly good fishing in which to catch striped bass and NOT what he typed in reference to the two young ladies sitting on the foredeck. Good lord, how to phrase this in a genteel manner....

Almost forgot... Hey Dan on the Delia Rosa... you might want to check the alignment on your starboard engine and look @ the outboard engine mounts, its hard to be sure form the picture but something doesn't look right :thumb:

Must be just the picture .... cause we have had no problems to date!

When the correctly spelled wrong word is used spell checker won't catch it. Although it may have caught goffy.:D

Must be just the picture .... cause we have had no problems to date!

Good Deal Dan, it could be just the picture... But it looks like the forward inboard mount has shifted off from where the paint was also, Some boats are very tender to misalignment while other boats are like tanks, I have seen engines that were just about ready to fall off the stringers before they showed any signs of a problem, its winter, its cold, engine mounts have a tendency to vibrate loose and shift some under load, I don't know what transmission you have but if its a Borg Warner Velvet Drive CR2 series, The reversing plate is hard to come by and very expensive if you can find one @ all, If I were you I would do a real good visual inspection of the mounts and make sure that the prop shaft turns free and easy and throw a wrench on the mount bolts to make sure they are tight, If any mount bolts can be tightened check the shaft alignment, The lazy mans test is to spring out the boat real good and have someone shift from forward to reverse and throttle up a bit and see whats up. now I know that I am not you and could be totally wrong about this issue so if I am totally wrong I would gladly buy you a beer if you come through Beaufort NC any time in your travels, good luck / Craig

Thanks Craig for the comments... we will certainly do a double check when we are next on the boat. It is always great to have cruisers looking out for each other!

I may regret this, but just what does "stripper hole" mean over there?
Looks like a lot of boat; like having get home power. Make sure that strainer is not typical of condition. Careful inspection and survey.

Its been out there for a long time and no takers and i wonder why. I'm going to have a mechanic check out the mechanicals before i do anything. Better to spend a few bucks now than a lot of bucks later.
That get home gimmick was a 2500 dollar option in 1979. Seems to me there was a fuel crunch back then and people were scared that diesel fuel would hit a dollar a gallon soon so companies were marketing fuel miser boats. I know that the Costa Mesa and the Santa Anna De Fever yards both had get home options with the Costa Mesa yard opting for a hydraulic get home system and Santa Anna opted for the electric. I'm really curious to see how well it works.

:dance:Boy some posters sure enjoy misspelled words. Gonna....oops....Guess I'm should do that more often to insure everyone is properly entertained:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom