Another New Guy From Maine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptTom

Guru
Vessel Make
Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
I'm in pretty much the same place as beachbum29. I currently own a 29' express cruiser that I'm looking to replace with a 35'-36' trawler. Goal is to spend more time aboard, and go farther, even if we won't be going fast anymore. Speed won't matter so much in a few years when I'm retired.

I've been looking for a while now, visited a few boats, missed out on one, and am currently negotiating the price on another.

My limitations are (1) budget, and (2) I own a 36' 10" slip and the marina won't let me "hang out" on either end.

My two biggest requirements are (1) separate shower, and (2) diesel engine because I'm tired of hitching rides from remote fishing ports into town with a half-dozen portable gas cans. After that come a bunch of wanna-haves, like two heads, generator, A/C, autopilot, large house bank, inverter, watermaker etc.

All of this narrowed down the search pretty well. I'm not sure what brand I'll buy, but I'm pretty sure I'll end up here with you trawler folks.

So I figured it was time to introduce myself. I've been lurking for a while, and posted once already. Thanks for a great forum!

Welcome aboard and good luck with your seach!

Man that is some nice country where you are.
Have you ever made the trip from Bar harbor (I think) to Nova Scotia.

I took the ferry there many years ago.

Anyway Welcome aboard.

SD

Welcome aboard. Never heard of anyone actually owning a slip in a marina, though. :)

John

SD, yes, I've taken my express cruiser as far as Yarmouth, NS and back to the Bar Harbor area. That's a 100 NM crossing, just about the limit of my current boat. Hence the search. I hear it's pretty good cruising territory in your neck of the woods too!

Jonh, my marina is like a dockominium, although for tax and insurance purposes it's set up as a club. As a club member (and part owner) I have exclusive rights to one slip. I bought a 35' membership, although an actual measurement of the slip showed that I had about 36' 10" before I'd hang out into the fairway. A lynch mob starts to form if anyone does that.

Last edited:
Oh, OK. Now I understand. Thanks.

John

CaptTom:

I too run an express cruiser, but since mine is wood and 48 years old, I run it like a trawler 95% of the time. Being that I have a straight drive and single screw with a rudder as well, I imagine by old boat to be a "pocket cruiser". I used to live in Bethel and former in-laws have a place out on Isle au Haut. Keep us posted on your boat shopping.

Those old Tollys were built like tanks. I find I'm at trawler speeds a lot too, whenever there's some chop or fog. It's nice being able to get there fast once in a while, but those times don't happen often.

I'm working on a deal now. If all goes well I'll post some pictures of a new (to me) boat next week.

Back
Top Bottom