Tranquility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ocean Breeze,
We called Prince of Wales Is "the rock" but it's a farm field compared to where you live. One of those houses yours? .... in the bottom photo?

Here's one of our nice sandy beaches.

Haha Eric.. Nope - too hard to get too lol

Some of our beaches too

opps loaded up a couple of the same pictures as before.. tried deleting them but couldn't

Attachments

• ocean_winter1.jpg
    ocean_winter1.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 43
  • sunset_reflection.jpg
    sunset_reflection.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 50
  • cape_st_marys.jpg
    cape_st_marys.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 38
  • crashing_waves.jpg
    crashing_waves.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 39
  • sunset4.jpg
    sunset4.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 48
  • winter_scene1.jpg
    winter_scene1.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 43
  • ocean_201.jpg
    ocean_201.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
ICW north of Cocoa, FL a week ago.

Attachments

• P1080050.jpg
    P1080050.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 53
Great thread. Here are a few from our archives.

From our Bahamas cruise 1987 on Rosebud -
35090139.jpg

Quiet evening in the Keys
38710455.jpg

Sunset of the ICW, South Carolina
35582561.jpg

Windmill Harbor, Hilton head, SC
33579162.jpg

Last edited:
I think if you look hard enough and long enough there are some Palm trees in my pictures too.. :ermm:

Ketchikan ... always seems to have interesting recreational trawlers.

232323232%7Ffp63564%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D383299%3A834336nu0mrj

Murray M,
Did you take that on the Tlell River trail? We walked it in 03. I taught HS shop in 1972 in Massett.

It was south of the Misty Meadows campground, just inside the forest from the beach.

I worked on a Parks Branch youth crew there on my first summer job in 1975 (I think) the first summer Naikoon Park opened up.

Haida Gwaii...a global treasure.

Murray M wrote;

"Haida Gwaii...a global treasure."

Indeed .... but they are developing the north beach. I think there's only one place like that in the world. Should never have been touched.

This pic is of the boat launch that we used to go through Karheen Passage and into Sea Otter Sound. This boat launch is a door to a magic place. The ramp looks like it's paved but it's gravel. That rock looks like a big ugly fish.

2nd pic is of Point Baker on the NW corner of Prince of Wales Is. No roads at all here. Just boats. 3rd pic is a nice commuter in town.

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 270 copy.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 270 copy.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 42
  • all to 12-15-09 529 copy.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 529 copy.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 45
  • all to 12-15-09 531 copy.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 531 copy.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Nice day on the ICW today. Football and fishin'. KJ

Attachments

• CATFISH.jpg
    CATFISH.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 41
Murray M wrote;

"Haida Gwaii...a global treasure."

Indeed .... but they are developing the north beach. I think there's only one place like that in the world. Should never have been touched.

What do you mean "developing"?

When I was there in 1996, I stayed in a B&B on the North beach. There had been "development" for many years at that location. There was also a road that went onto the sand, on which many folks had mired their cars, pickups, etc and lost them to the rising tide. Tow Hill was a great vantage point to observe the tranquility of the whole beach. I hope none of that has been changed.

Keith,
We were there in 03. It probably wasn't much changed since you were there or since we were there. I'm saying everything from the old radio station to Tow Hill should be undisturbed beach ... never should have been sold into private lots. It should all have been a park and a proper park at that. Never should have given the Spit to the Haida. Nothing has been done w it. It just sits there and suffers abuse by most that go there. Shame on Canada.

Ditto........

More pics. :D

Attachments

• 2010 jan 303.jpg
    2010 jan 303.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 44
  • oterand slick 059.jpg
    oterand slick 059.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 2010 jan 309.jpg
    2010 jan 309.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMGP2476.jpg
    IMGP2476.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 45
Retiring the colors before sunset

Attachments

• sunset flag.jpg
    sunset flag.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 44
Stelaine,
Very appropriate picture for today! Looks like something very bright is just over the horizon. Of course it's the sun but if one had a wandering mind ... aliens!

Attachments

• STH71605 copy.jpg
    STH71605 copy.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 46
Stelaine,
Very appropriate picture for today! Looks like something very bright is just over the horizon. Of course it's the sun but if one had a wandering mind ... aliens!

Eric,

We lived in central Florida and could see shuttle launches from the back yard. The night launches were very similar in appearance which is to say they were spellbinding!

Steve

From our (rented) terrace, San Carlos, Sonora, Jan 18, 2013

Beats winter in the PNW... (but sorry about the clouds). The two marinas here are pretty quiet this winter and two or three of the trawlers that were for sale in 2011 are still on the market.

Stelaine,

Remember that you are looking east, and on the far eastern shores of our country is a place called Washington DC. Aliens. That is the only explanation.

:lol:

Ooops! Rambler don't you mean looking west? (hee hee) Though I totally agree with you on the aliens in the District of Combatants

We live very close to the Skagit River south of Bellingham. I took this picture on Cape Horn Rd about 3 city blocks from our house. Great place for biking and walking. In many ways it's more beautiful here than the Alaska we left.

Attachments

• DSCF0793 copy.jpg
    DSCF0793 copy.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 65
Swimin for oysters and picking clams in desolation sound mid 90s.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 73
Photo taken while north bound in the Dismal Swamp canal

Attachments

• canal reflections.JPG
    canal reflections.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 66
Trent & Mersey Canal, England. The only sounds were the birds in the hedgerows and the sheep on the hill.

Attachments

• willow-17.jpg
    willow-17.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 72
  • willow-10.jpg
    willow-10.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
DHMEISSNER, your pic in post #7 of the Norfolk Broads is great, my old stomping grounds and where I learned to love boats, thanks.

I love the picture of the Dismal Swamp! Wish we had one of those.

Rambler this is a tranquility picture thread. What's this about sunsets?

Marin I can hear the birds sing'in. VERY tranquil. Chris was overwhelmed w the wildlife here .... especially the birds. Much more than in Alaska except for the deer and bear.

Greetings,
Yup the Great Dismal swamp is an alternate route to the AICW. As I recall, only ONE turn between the locks just two straight cuts. Worth doing at least once and is a more sheltered passage between Iron Bridge, VA and Elizabeth City, NC. Best check those statements. It's been a while since I've been through there. Depending on the time of year and the water levels, there may be some floating and partially sunken stumps and sticks.
The BEST source for up to date information about that waterway is: http://www.dismalswamp.com/

Too much greenery lately. Here's Zain the Mastodog having a winter dip in Douglas Channel;

Attachments

• Zain Snow Douglas Channel.jpg
    Zain Snow Douglas Channel.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 75
Back
Top Bottom